Sedwill gone

AVB

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"After he leaves government service in September, Sir Mark will be made a peer while he will also chair a new panel on global economic security when the UK assumes the presidency of the G7 economic group of nations."

No reference to derailing Brexit in the BBC article, although that's not really surprising. Hardly being punished for it though if it's true is he?

Still, I guess the swamp is being drained a little.

5 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

"After he leaves government service in September, Sir Mark will be made a peer while he will also chair a new panel on global economic security when the UK assumes the presidency of the G7 economic group of nations."

No reference to derailing Brexit in the BBC article, although that's not really surprising. Hardly being punished for it though if it's true is he?

Still, I guess the swamp is being drained a little.

The BBC is never going to mention that. His position as an individual in the House of Lords is meaningless. He will not be able to influence anything. I don’t know anything about his other position but I suspect that it is a nothing role. Compared with the power he had before this is a major demotion (it’s not about titles it is about power). 

When you run a business, you want and need people in senior positions who agree with your policies.  In this case, the policies selected by the electorate.  That doesn't mean a political appointment - simply an appointment where the confidence is there.

Oh well. But I liked this one from Priti, warning of more heads to roll. 

“This is the people’s government, delivering on the people’s priorities....."

Was there something in the Conservative Party manifesto about dismembering the Civil Service? I must have missed it.

But these revolutionaries are always the same. They always invoke 'the people' and they either won't or can't ever articulate their real aims. As Lennon wrote in Revolution 'you say you've got a real solution, we'd all love to see the plan'. 

So what he's torn everything to pieces,  what is Cummings going to replace it all with? Does anyone know?

Edited by Retsdon

Just now, Retsdon said:

Sack the whole civil service and start from scratch!

A little extreme, personally I would like to see Boris get rid of a few problematical individuals and that might remind the other Public Servants that they should be neutral!

26 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A little extreme, personally I would like to see Boris get rid of a few problematical individuals and that might remind the other Public Servants that they should be neutral!

What does 'neutral' mean? The civil service is traditionally conservative with a small 'c'. Nothing wrong with that,  IMHO. 

In other words the civil service is not going to enthuse about the new People's Democratic Kingdom of Britain because they'll be the ones to have to pick up the pieces and try and put it all back together again.

From 4th April 2019 - Whitehall chief issues dire warning on no deal -

https://www.ft.com/content/c1bad55e-555a-11e9-91f9-b6515a54c5b1

32 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Who else do you have in mind?

11 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes with a small c is my sort of neutral. 

Well, we're on the same side then. Cummings is not spelt with a small c. The man and his coterie are revolutionaries who want to tear down the country and rebuild it - although quite what they're proposing to build is a bit hazy at this point. All I know is that, regardless of whether they come from the left or right, history hasn't been at all kind to these kind of people. They nearly always do terrible damage.

I don't trust them one little bit. https://twitter.com/JohnBuck_3/status/1208818957500768256?s=09

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh he is not hiring and firing, he is putting the cat amongst the pigeons!

I suppose the one bonus in all this is that when it's finally all over there won't be another Tory government for a generation - if the Conservative Party even survives.

You've got a cuckoo in the nest and it's going to destroy your family. 

11 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I suppose the one bonus in all this is that when it's finally all over there won't be another Tory government for a generation - if the Conservative Party even survives.

Amongst a litany of ridiculous posts from you this must rank right up there. 

18 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Gordon Bennett, you've really posted a memorable one this time!:w00t:

2 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Oh I think the Tories will survive ok, I mean, you just have to look at the alternatives. 
The thing which usually does for the Tories is sleaze and greed ( remember cash for questions, expense account claims, David Mellor?  🤢)  then Labour get voted in, the economy goes boobs up and then the Tories get back in....and round and round we go. 

i wish the civil service would stay out of politics....just keep pushing the pens and counting the beans...and just do as they are told....i know there has always been a certain ammount of interferance............but senior civil servants are now constantly crossing the line and nailing their colours to the mast............and there is no longer a line between admin and politics.....civil servants arnt voted in by the people and should remember that  before sticking their oar into the power game ....

am i right in thinking ...in america when there is a new administration /president.........the civil service changes as well ?...the top ones the manderines anyway ?

5 hours ago, Retsdon said:

A generation? History would suggest you are wrong. The Labour party has never held power for a generation. Blair and Brown had the longest run and most of the Labour party seems intent on denying their existence. The only way Labour are holding power for that long is if there is a Marxist revolution and we all know that's not happening.