Crow Caller recommendation

tonyshooter

I've used a few and had some success.

The acme crow call has never been productive for me but the Primos power crow has. Also the Flambeau/Lohman 'gold crow' call. I use them mainly if im pigeon decoying and crows are passing out of range, you can lure them in close enough to shoot. I usually put a few outlying crow decoys in my pattern with an empty couple of egg shells for added interest.

Apologies to those in the know but the main thing with corvids is staying hidden till last minute, their eyesight is sharp and can be tricky to fool. Other times they're almost suicidal!😎

MD-410-Crow-2017-1600x1600.jpg

primos-power-crow-call-1703-p.png

acme-crow-call-a259-by-squeezing-with-the-teeth-during-blowing-it-will-produce-the-call-of-young-and-old-crows.jpg

$_57.jpeg

md-410-crowcall__62452.1302542098.jpg

Edited by moor man

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've got a Primos "Power Crow".  Not sure what has happened to it, but it has started to sound more like you're shoving your finger up a duck's backside.  I'm guessing the reed has become damaged (how?!) or slipped in its mounting.  Nothing I can see to take apart/refix or modify in any way.  The only way I can make it sound OK is by constantly pulling the rubber tube away from the end of the mouthpiece, and also pushing one of my top teeth into the split in the mouthpiece, to separate the two halves which seems to help.  Going to get one from CMS I think, and try that out.

22 minutes ago, Longbower said:

Tried all of that for hours today, (the wife and the African Grey are as fed up as each other), and I have to say following all his advise and methods , My ACME' Crow call'

Still sounds like a duck ! 😁

Maybe it is actually a duck call put in the wrong box😂

3 hours ago, Longbower said:

Tried all of that for hours today, (the wife and the African Grey are as fed up as each other), and I have to say following all his advise and methods , My ACME' Crow call'

Still sounds like a duck ! 😁

I find the best way to practice is to do it in the car, parked up in the woods with the windows shut, miles away from anyone else!  You lose your inhibitions then as nobody can hear you fail!

I have always found with the primos that it doesn't sound like a crow at all but you know what, it pulls them in!  To the crows it's probably as much about the words you're singing rather than the tune you're singing to, if you get my drift.  The shape of the sound.  Timing, patterns, phrases.  They're such enigmatic birds - I think I'll be a very old man before I fully understand the crow, if at all.

My mate laughed at me when I first used mine in the hide, as it did indeed sound like a duck, and each time I blew it a train seemed to go past on the Carlisle-Settle line! But as above, it really does work. On one occasion we didn’t spot two jackdaws until they were well past our hide, so I gave em a few quiet calls on the Primos, and we carefully watched them wheel and turn back towards us. He shot one and I the other. He still laughs when I use it, but he knows it works.