Browning Maxus

washman

Briley, kicks, terror, carlsons, and wad wizard to name a few  there's so many to choose from. In my sx3 I get great patterns with kicks but in my o/u I use brileys but what is most important with whichever you choose is to pattern it and find out what works best with the shells you intend to use. 

The briley chokes are a good option, and work great. another option and available through BROWNELLS UK . Carlsens waterfowl choles. they do a two choke set and a 3 choke set, these are a good choke in INV plus. Another option is of course the Kicks high flyer. these work well in inv plus and many like them, i am not a fan of ported chokes myself, but must admit the kicks do work well.

Other options from the states can be involved in importing. But Terrors Indian creek Jebs etc all very good, but not easy at moment to import, might be easier in the post brexit trade deals once they are worked out.

Brownells UK for carlsens .

https://www.brownells.co.uk/WATERFOWL-CHOKE-TUBE-SET-Waterfowl-2-Pk-Beretta-Benelli-Mobil-12g-Mid-Long-Range-CARLSONS-12-Gauge-Mobilchoke-Long-Range-Mid-Range-155000244

winglocked  for kicks high flyer.

https://www.wingslocked.co.uk/

If you can get one shipped herevia friend etc.

Jebs.

https://www.jebschokes.com/choke-tubes/

Indian creek.

https://indiancreekss.com/

Muller.  "UFO"

https://mullerchokes.com/pages/home

Possible get mullers from JUST CHOKING.UK.

Terror chokes Hard to get here currently, rumours out of production etc. "COULD BE ".

http://wadwizard.com/waterfowlhunters.htm

There are terror choke copies doing the rounds , from northumberland North yorkshire and Notinghamshire, and no doubt other places.

Edited by lancer425

What’s wrong with the chokes that come with the gun? 

Doesn’t the new Maxus come with 5 chokes and an additional 2” 1/2 choke specifically for steel shot? 🤷‍♂️

I just purchased a brand new Maxus the other day on the phone and need to go pick it up, hopefully tomorrow. 

On 12/07/2020 at 00:53, Lloyd90 said:

What’s wrong with the chokes that come with the gun? 

Doesn’t the new Maxus come with 5 chokes and an additional 2” 1/2 choke specifically for steel shot? 🤷‍♂️

I just purchased a brand new Maxus the other day on the phone and need to go pick it up, hopefully tomorrow. 

A lot of wildfowlers like super tight extended chokes that may not come with their gun. You are unlikely to get an XXF choke with any gun as standard.

For me, half choke just isn't tight enough for many wildfowling situations that I encounter.

5 hours ago, motty said:

A lot of wildfowlers like super tight extended chokes that may not come with their gun. You are unlikely to get an XXF choke with any gun as standard.

For me, half choke just isn't tight enough for many wildfowling situations that I encounter.

What situation mate? 

Interesting to know... what cart and choke combo do you use?

Lloyd90,

Anything other than decoying or hide shooting over splashes, half choke might not give good enough patterns to shoot further out.  All depends on your chosen cart, powder charge, speed, shot size and shot weight. 

When you get your Maxus, pattern your chokes at distances you will likely shoot with your choice of carts.  See if the standard chokes give you what you need.

21 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What situation mate? 

Interesting to know... what cart and choke combo do you use?

When you have walked out for a couple of miles onto the marsh, you want your cartridge and choke combination to work for you. You may get few chances, and if that mallard or pinkfoot comes on the very edge of range, you need the best/tightest patterns possible. In my experience, a half choke generally won't give me that. Even when I am expecting close shots, I will still opt for the tightest chokes, so I cover all bases. 

3 hours ago, motty said:

When you have walked out for a couple of miles onto the marsh, you want your cartridge and choke combination to work for you. You may get few chances, and if that mallard or pinkfoot comes on the very edge of range, you need the best/tightest patterns possible. In my experience, a half choke generally won't give me that. Even when I am expecting close shots, I will still opt for the tightest chokes, so I cover all bases. 

Which steel carts are you putting through the full / extra full? 

2 hours ago, Manish said:

I see John Forsey had the Anaconda chokes but paternmaster has anybody had any experience with them?? I might get one as my rem versa max has imp mob and feel its not much cop for the foreshore 

I got given a anaconda long range for my sx3 and only just got round to pattern testing it and it gives good patterns at 50 yards so will be using it this season on the foreshore

Wow !!!  Some serious gezzers on here ! I hesitate to even write, except to say,  ( in my defence.... I'm new on ere !!!  And relatively  new to shotguns 😁

Got a new maxus myself about 9.month ago, love it, though I've only put a few boxes through it so far, mainly at clays and the crow or two, and grey tree rats.  I was looking on here  for some thoughts on patterning.  I've done a few at 20  30 yds with 1/2 and 3/4 choke, using cheddite 7 1/2  28s  and 6s  32gram. Just to see whats going on.  Im using Fibre wads.   Even  at 20 and 30 yds  the results are slightly gappy to my mind, i.e. big enough for clay to escape  in places now n then.   

Your thoughts and considerable knowledge would be appreciated.

Ta Roj