Browning Maxus

washman

7 hours ago, m greeny said:

I got given a anaconda long range for my sx3 and only just got round to pattern testing it and it gives good patterns at 50 yards so will be using it this season on the foreshore

I've used a Anoconda Long Range in my 20ga since they first came out truely devestating with Lead on Pigeons Steel TSS PWS and Hevi-Shot on Geese 

4 hours ago, RojUK264 said:

Wow !!!  Some serious gezzers on here ! I hesitate to even write, except to say,  ( in my defence.... I'm new on ere !!!  And relatively  new to shotguns 😁

Got a new maxus myself about 9.month ago, love it, though I've only put a few boxes through it so far, mainly at clays and the crow or two, and grey tree rats.  I was looking on here  for some thoughts on patterning.  I've done a few at 20  30 yds with 1/2 and 3/4 choke, using cheddite 7 1/2  28s  and 6s  32gram. Just to see whats going on.  Im using Fibre wads.   Even  at 20 and 30 yds  the results are slightly gappy to my mind, i.e. big enough for clay to escape  in places now n then.   

Your thoughts and considerable knowledge would be appreciated.

Ta Roj 

Try some different cartridges with your chokes. If they still don't pattern well, a Briley extended in half would be my choice for what your shooting. I take my Maxus out on the clays before and during the Wildfowling season with a half Briley in its very good on clays out to further than your likely to shoot living things.

3 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

I've used a Anoconda Long Range in my 20ga since they first came out truely devestating with Lead on Pigeons Steel TSS PWS and Hevi-Shot on Geese 

Had it given couple years ago but was happy with my kicks but decided to pattern it with my steel goose loads and was pleasantly suprised it patterned really well so going to use it this season 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2020 at 17:47, RojUK264 said:

Wow !!!  Some serious gezzers on here ! I hesitate to even write, except to say,  ( in my defence.... I'm new on ere !!!  And relatively  new to shotguns 😁

Got a new maxus myself about 9.month ago, love it, though I've only put a few boxes through it so far, mainly at clays and the crow or two, and grey tree rats.  I was looking on here  for some thoughts on patterning.  I've done a few at 20  30 yds with 1/2 and 3/4 choke, using cheddite 7 1/2  28s  and 6s  32gram. Just to see whats going on.  Im using Fibre wads.   Even  at 20 and 30 yds  the results are slightly gappy to my mind, i.e. big enough for clay to escape  in places now n then.   

Your thoughts and considerable knowledge would be appreciated.

Ta Roj 

Take it on a clay ground and see how it actually shoots maybe? 

On 19/07/2020 at 22:46, m greeny said:

Had it given couple years ago but was happy with my kicks but decided to pattern it with my steel goose loads and was pleasantly suprised it patterned really well so going to use it this season 

What loads you use? Was it a kicks xtra full? 

I picked up some 3 1/2” gamebore steel - 42g BB’s yesterday. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/07/2020 at 22:15, figgy said:

Try some different cartridges with your chokes. If they still don't pattern well, a Briley extended in half would be my choice for what your shooting. I take my Maxus out on the clays before and during the Wildfowling season with a half Briley in its very good on clays out to further than your likely to shoot living things.

What he said !

Get a few boxes of suitable loads for your type of shooting and get on the pattern plate with the gun you intend to use. 

In reality experienced shooters don't get hung up on choke brands or even that much on chokes.

Fair enough you are not going to shoot pigeons decoying at 20 yards with full choke if you wish to eat them, but thats just common sense.

There are many many top champion shots who use a gun with the chokes it came with.

I've got a Maxus by the way.

Edited by Shotkam