scooters

oowee

12 hours ago, Scully said:

Ditto. Although I think they regard it as a matter of convenience.....no stop signs or traffic lights to contend with. 

The best ones are the ones that ride along the road, until they meet a red light, then they hope up onto the path and round it.

I'm surprised more people don't do it in cars and motobikes? 

It’s great news, I’m getting one ASAP. Getting to and from work will save me loads of time and costs all year around. There’s an excellent bike path network around my way, don’t need to hit the road, so that’s me sorted. Probably be handy on the tracks to the far fields at harvest as well, can see another 4 hrs on the gun a week there.

14 hours ago, oowee said:

Anyone know why they can only be rented and your own will still be illegal. 

It's very easy to bypass the speed limiter, that may be one of the reasons.

Another, I would assume / hope is insurance.

It was predicted that there would be a typical knee-jerk reaction around mass transportation focus due to COVID and, voila.

The e-scooter scheme does fit in with the Electrification and Sharing aspects of ACES but China will be doing very well out of this - I'm surprised UK govt haven't commissioned Dyson to build them (maybe they have)? UK taxpayers pumped enough into their solid state battery technology under the guise they were going to make an e-vehicle...

We used ‘lime’ scooters to get around Washington DC a few years ago. As they are electronic they were much easier to track with gps and who was using them / location etc. They seemed very popular with commuters. 

A lot of people also had their own ones. Great idea for getting around cities and reducing traffic. 

If we had decent public transpirt we wouldn't (pre-coronavirus) need scooters. The renting aspect, is, as I think others have said, about insurance. And of course no one in the Department of Stupid Ideas (Minister in Charge = Michael Gove no doubt) has forseen that people will just, privately purchase, a similar model and repaint it to look the same?

Edited by enfieldspares

I have never tried one of these scooters, but I would have thought the combination of the very small wheels and the poor condition of the roads (potholes, cracks, raised/recessed ironworks etc.) is not good news?  Not so bad with bicycle wheels which are much bigger - but it was one of the problems with the small wheeled "Moulton" bicycle which was once a bit of a fad, or the foldable "Brompton"  bicycle.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

I have never tried one of these scooters, but I would have thought the combination of the very small wheels and the poor condition (potholes, cracks, raised/recessed ironworks etc.) is not good news?  Not so bad with bicycle wheels which are much bigger - but it was one of the problems with the small wheeled "Moulton" bicycle which was once a bit of a fad, or the foldable "Brompton"  bicycle.

They will just break the law and ride on the pavement ---- and nothing will be done about it.

1 hour ago, Yellow Bear said:

They will just break the law and ride on the pavement ---- and nothing will be done about it.

Sums it up. Mad idea. They'll be on and off the pavement to avoid lights etc. Why wouldn't you just buy a bike anyway? Whack a set of panniers on it and you can carry most of what you need.

Bikes on pavements is my top bugbear at the moment. I'm at the point where I'm refusing to cede any part of the pavement and happy to have the conversation.

1 hour ago, bigroomboy said:

We just need a change in infrastructure and culture. Ban cars from urban roads and give the roads to the scooters and other sustainable transport options.

So, have you thought this through, have you considered :-

Those Rural livers that need to come into town for shops, services etc.

Those urban livers that need to travel out of town for work

Thought not - just another urban green that thinks the organic veg shop and vegan deli is just round the corner no matter where you live and your job is always a short cycle ride away.

Edited by Yellow Bear

One reason why it may be 'rental only' is that this is a 'trial period of 12 months' and therefore if people bought them - they might well try to bring a case for compensation against the DoT if they are not allowed/withdrawn after the trial/  Just a thought.

58 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

So, have you thought this through, have you considered :-

Those Rural livers that need to come into town for shops, services etc.

Those urban livers that need to travel out of town for work

Thought not - just another urban green that thinks the organic veg shop and vegan deli is just round the corner no matter where you live and your job is always a short cycle ride away.

I think you need to start thinking outside your echo chamber box or the things we enjoy, like the shooting season, may not be there for the next generation.

19 hours ago, oowee said:

Anyone know why they can only be rented and your own will still be illegal. 

as @NoBodyImportant says, it will be down to registering and insurance - also Boris's mate has a company that rents them out and Boris quite liked the Boris Bike, he now wants the Boris Scooter!!!

ps. I have no idea if Boris has a mate - never mind one that rents out e-scooters!!