Mitox strimmer problems...

moor man

Got to admit this has me a bit baffled.....

Picked up a Mitox 3600UX strimmer/brushcutter cheap.

looks little used but 'won't run properly'

To date I have;

Changed to fresh fuel, 50:1

Checked fuel line ok.

Checked fuel filter ok

Stripped carb and cleaned with carb cleaner, diaphragms look fine.

Cleaned plug.

Reassembled and fired up it does run but will not pick up revs when given throttle.

Here's the strange bit.....when the on/off switch is moved to 'off' it will pickup revs,  run normally for a few seconds then stop? Is it electrical I wonder?

A new carb is £50 but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's not the problem.

Any thoughts from the P.W. posse?

Thanks.

Mitox run on 40:1. Mine did anyhow. 

Also sounds like carbs 

Also just thought about it, mine was a cow to run tidy, if I remember I had to leave it idle for a few mins to warm up, I also adjusted the carb as it would just blurb out. It ran really well after, I was quite impressed, a £15 jobbie of ebay which I tfr and pressure washed and made £60 profit. Wish I didnt sell it, just all my gear runs at 50:1 

Edited by strimmer_13

this is the reason why i dumped all my strimmers chainsaws air blowers..............cause i got sick and bloody tired of messing about with them to get them to run right and start properly

everything i have now including pressure washer is all sthil...........................total no brainer

even get a 2nd hand sthil rather than a new rubbishy thing.........

reading threads like this make my skin crawl....remembering the years of lost time and waste of breath and angst stupid machines have caused me......

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

this is the reason why i dumped all my strimmers chainsaws air blowers..............cause i got sick and bloody tired of messing about with them to get them to run right and start properly

everything i have now including pressure washer is all sthil...........................total no brainer

reading threads like this make my skin crawl....remembering the years of lost time and waste of breath and angst stupid machines have caused me......

Where's your national pride man, British manufacturer about 7 mile away from me 😂😂😂

Btw every single bit of kit I now own is stihl. I'm a stihl whore

It may be just a simple tweak to the carb, I had a new Titon and it does say in the manual that after a couple of hours running to the adjust the carb. My mate did it for me after an hour or so run time,and it ran fine. I got a set of pacman carburetter screwdriver's for a tenner so I can do it myself. It just requires the tinyist movement and its runs just fine.

I have a mitox multi tool and that too was temperamental. I took it into the local mower man and mitox dealer and he serviced and tweaked the carb which he said can need adjustment time to time. Mix is 40:1 and he also recommended use of Briggs and Stratton fuel fit. Now starts runs and Revs fine.

Thinking of picking up one of their chainsaws as well as come with five year warranty.

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

If only Sthil made mole traps 😀

On 30/06/2020 at 20:05, ditchman said:

never thought you were a man to give up ditchman  

I had the same kind of problems with mine, after a bit of investigation I found the fuel supply pipe perished & split, the split was hidden in the rubber grommet where the supply & return fuel pipes enter the fuel tank - worth a look 😉

Probably not your problem here but the other thing worth checking is that the gause in the exhaust isn't blocked.

I've found that if you are an occasional user of small engines that using aspen fuel is well worth it. Its expensive but avoids many of the common issues with carbs, fuel lines and exaust. Probably cheaper when compared with how many people throw out perfectly good equipment in frustration.

On 02/07/2020 at 15:26, bigroomboy said:

Probably not your problem here but the other thing worth checking is that the gause in the exhaust isn't blocked.

I've found that if you are an occasional user of small engines that using aspen fuel is well worth it. Its expensive but avoids many of the common issues with carbs, fuel lines and exaust. Probably cheaper when compared with how many people throw out perfectly good equipment in frustration.

Totally agree with using Aspen fuels. You can leave it in the machine all year round without fear of gumming up. 

Aren't Mitox  rebranded Chinese products? 

8 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Aren't Mitox  rebranded Chinese products? 

No idea. They were sold/ run by Rochfords in Wincanton, but recently Rochfords shut shop as they were bought by alko (a German brand) and from what I understand they had to shut shop as they coundnt get any support or parts from suppliers for other brands they sold. They were a main dealer for a few brands but they all took it as a slight and stopped supplying them. Seems to be a very bitchy business to be in. Mitox is still running though, and customer support is suppose to be excellent