Rules with tractors

strimmer_13

I'm having a bit of fun at work, it's a long story which I'll not bore you with, but to **** this lot over I was wondering the rules regarding tractors. Do they need rear brake lights and indicators? It might sound stupid seeing as it's hydrostatic and slows it's self and we only have these little toy ones, but literally all our kit is busted and as far as im concerned not fit for the road and we are expected to shut up and keep driving, as they have an agreement with the local police to turn a blind eye.... Like that's going to stand up in court. I'm aware that they don't need mots as under 25mph or some such.

All our atvs and tractors have mirrors missing and bald tyres, occasionally a beacon might work, certainly the headlights don't on a least 1 (and it's all been reported but they 'misplace' that documentation) It's a ******* joke and I've had enough, could anyone point me into a source of legalisation for when I kick off and they try and sack me 👍

Ive refused to drive the tractors as I've nearly been rearended a few times and my mate has as well. But others want to keep their heads down as they don't want to upset the boss. So ******** to it I'll stick my head above for now. 

Edited by strimmer_13

9 minutes ago, matone said:

Its all under `Agricultural Vehicle Regulations` on Gov.UK

Nothing actually mentioned specifically about lights, but the phrase 'road worthy' is a weird one. What defines road worthy. All the kit is under 20 years old so like the old fordsons majors I drove 20 odd years ago didn't have indicators. Screenshot_20200630_210847_com.android.chrome.jpg.7c85d864eec3a835b30360df99bf43ad.jpg

As a motor bike / car tester the lighting regs are a vehicle can be tested for road use if lights are 1 permanantly disconected 2 completely removed 3 painted/ masked over and test cert saying   daylight use only no lights fitted 

Had all this at work with the forklifts, much the same as you, expected to run around on bald tyres, faulty lights/indicators, all on public roads. 

We'd fill the daily check sheets in, hand them in, then question the fitters on when they'd need they truck and lo and behold they'd never even seen said job sheet. 

It's disgusting what companies try and get away with at the expense of the employees. 

8 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Had all this at work with the forklifts, much the same as you, expected to run around on bald tyres, faulty lights/indicators, all on public roads. 

We'd fill the daily check sheets in, hand them in, then question the fitters on when they'd need they truck and lo and behold they'd never even seen said job sheet. 

It's disgusting what companies try and get away with at the expense of the employees. 

We don't have daily checks because nothing is fit for purpose. Or a accident book. Or a log book. Some kit we use is just downright dangerous, and they are trying to get me sacked, we had a little meeting yesterday indicating that. So I've just point blank gone to the town clerk and pointed out a few faulty items. She's not impressed. Today's going to interesting that's for sure, if I ain't sent home I'll be shocked. Even the doctor said I should go to a tribunal when I had a chat recently.... 

I can honestly say the town council is the worst employer I've ever had, and I've worked for some right zooms. 

47 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

We don't have daily checks because nothing is fit for purpose. Or a accident book. Or a log book. Some kit we use is just downright dangerous, and they are trying to get me sacked, we had a little meeting yesterday indicating that. So I've just point blank gone to the town clerk and pointed out a few faulty items. She's not impressed. Today's going to interesting that's for sure, if I ain't sent home I'll be shocked. Even the doctor said I should go to a tribunal when I had a chat recently.... 

I can honestly say the town council is the worst employer I've ever had, and I've worked for some right zooms. 

To be honest neither was half of ours, the hub seals used to fail quite often so they would leak hydraulic oil, replacing them wasn't covered under the maintenance contract with the fitters so they would let them leak. In the wet it was like driving around on black ice.

I know how you feel and really hope it works out for you, you've done the right the cause someone would have been hurt or worse eventually.

The management where I am were aware there was a problem with the person who knocked me over, but were to scared to do anything about it, how ridiculous is that? Alot of places seem to like to run like it's 30/40 years ago.

Send emails stating faults to boss, copy in others through your work chain, this creates a undeniable information line, they won't like a lot of that but they have a duty of care for employees safety H&S act.

Tractors and agricultural plant were missed off legislation and phones can be used while driving, bit of a boob on writing the law.

On 08/07/2020 at 08:10, WalkedUp said:

How is your industry’s resilience to recession and CV-19? Line up your next job before you kill this one off is my only advice. 

I'm with the council, so pretty safe tbh, just i dont fit in with this councils bend you over strategy. I've never said nothing before as they were self governing but the local councils have merged so I know I've a bit of protection there, tho Im not fooled to think I'm a asset.

Atm having serious health problems which I didn't know about until after cv19 and nothing related. Knowing what I know now, I probs shouldn't of volunteered to work. I was planning and building up to going self employed this summer. Not going to risk it until I get all fixed health wise, but a kick up the *** might just work as well. 

Well news is I haven't been sacked, mainly as they have no grounds other than me upsetting the system. Early days tho, but after I pointed out a few home truths, things look to be changing/dare I say it, improving. I kicked off yesterday as the gator was leaking diesel quite badly and I said if I came off my bike on the way back and forth to work, I'd walk in and not very politely go nuts. It got fixed straight away...

Cross the t's and dot the i's. See what happens. 

7 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

I'm with the council, so pretty safe tbh, just i dont fit in with this councils bend you over strategy. I've never said nothing before as they were self governing but the local councils have merged so I know I've a bit of protection there, tho Im not fooled to think I'm a asset.

Atm having serious health problems which I didn't know about until after cv19 and nothing related. Knowing what I know now, I probs shouldn't of volunteered to work. I was planning and building up to going self employed this summer. Not going to risk it until I get all fixed health wise, but a kick up the *** might just work as well. 

Well news is I haven't been sacked, mainly as they have no grounds other than me upsetting the system. Early days tho, but after I pointed out a few home truths, things look to be changing/dare I say it, improving. I kicked off yesterday as the gator was leaking diesel quite badly and I said if I came off my bike on the way back and forth to work, I'd walk in and not very politely go nuts. It got fixed straight away...

Cross the t's and dot the i's. See what happens. 

Glad you have survived any attempt to cull. Hope your health improves.