Benelli 828 Black

WelshAndy

Morning all

I don’t know why but I want one 🙈😂 

my post is to ask anyone who owns/uses one what are they like?

some say as they are light, they kick on heavier stuff?

some say the ejecters are troublesome?!

before I make a mistake and buy one - please put me off/give me recommendations 👍🏻

thanks. 

In a word - No!

There are two kinds of 828U:

1) 1st generation - Alloy action (either  Field silver or black)

Super light, brutal recoil characteristics, trigger like a semi-auto, not crisp, notchy/scratchy.   Unreliable ejectors as tripped by a puff of air pressure from slots in the cartridge chambers, some thin-walled cart cases shed plastic into these ports - result ejector stops working, back to GMK to get fixed.

2) 2nd generation - Steel action (always black)

828U Sport, always black, steel  action so heavier, better recoil characteristics.  Better triggers - when they work - mine used to go 'click' fail to strike the primer , target lost.   Same ejection problems and GMK unable to fix (not their fault - they didn't manufacture the thing).

So an 828U is a really clever set of technologies, genuinely innovative but they haven't ironed the bugs out - avoid like the proverbial plague.

All clear? 

Edited by Cosmicblue

6 minutes ago, Cosmicblue said:

In a word - No!

There are two kinds of 828U Field/Black

1) 1st generation - Alloy action (either silver or black)

Super light, brutal recoil characteristics, trigger like a semi-auto, not crisp, notchy/scratchy.   Unreliable ejectors as tripped by a puff of air pressure from slots in the cartridge chambers, some thin-walled cart cases shed plastic into these ports - result ejector stops working, back to GMK to get fixed.

2) 2nd generation - Steel action (always black)

828U Sport, always black, steel  action so heavier, better recoil characteristics.  Better triggers - when they work - mine used to go 'click' fail to strike the primer , target lost.   Same ejection problems and GMK unable to fix (not their fault - they didn't manufacture the thing).

So an 828U is a really clever set of technologies, genuinely innovative but they haven't ironed the bugs out - avoid like the proverbial plague.

All clear? 

Perfect thank you!

It’s the first one you described that I’ve seen, @ £1700 I’ll leave it in the rack!

Just now, mpmilo said:

I was after one myself, but saw this and spoke to a lad that had one and didnt get any positive feedback from him, So didnt bother. I have spoken to a couple of lads with the newer one and they seem happy.

Thanks, yeah I’d heard the newer one was better but unfortunately the ‘accountant’ won’t allow that 😂

I've got one (original alloy action) and not had any problems. Its really a field gun so very light. When wearing winter clothes I don't have any issues shooting a few 32g 5s. Shooting clays is fine with 21 or 24g carts but there are better clay guns unless light weight is important to you. Ive not had any ejector issues but disassembly and deepcleaning are definitely more difficult.

The technical innovation in the 828U is remarkable, a proper blank-sheet of paper design.  There will be those that argue that something that works perfectly and has been refined over decades didn't need this kind of attention and my only wish is that Benelli fix the technical issues before releasing it to the market.   I changed to a Blaser F3 which, going back nearly 20 years to it's introduction was also beset with issues - now fixed, refined and retro-fit capable so manufacturers can turn this kind of thing around.

Edited by Cosmicblue

I have had mine for nearly 3 years,  no problems . Mine is the chrome one . The main reason I got it was because you can alter it all yourself , Same as a semi auto . I live miles away from any gun fitter , and have seen the money they charge  for gun fitting .

I shoot 28 grm Hull comp x . No recoil at all . But each to there own 

• 1 year later...

Just picked up on this. As a Benelli 828u is my go to O&U I cannot see where the complaints come from. I can only take it they are used to a heavy gun and loose hold. Yes bottom ejector is a bit hit or miss. I shoot 28g and 32g cartridges with little kick effect. I have put 1000’s through it. It is a light gun for carrying all day. Also used in pigeon hide so would think they are not adjusting for a light weight gun. 

One of the lads who comes up to our duck club clay shoot has one got to handle it not shooting thou nice looking gun but not my cup of tea il stick to my side by side 👍He did have problems with safety at the clay shoot To me it felt to light Talking to a gun dealer they told me lot people who bought them have been trading them back in 

5 hours ago, jimbo123p said:

Just picked up on this. As a Benelli 828u is my go to O&U I cannot see where the complaints come from. I can only take it they are used to a heavy gun and loose hold. Yes bottom ejector is a bit hit or miss. I shoot 28g and 32g cartridges with little kick effect. I have put 1000’s through it. It is a light gun for carrying all day. Also used in pigeon hide so would think they are not adjusting for a light weight gun. 

Nephew enjoyed using his until the top rib started to come away. He’d had no complaints up til then. It was fixed under warranty but he traded it for a Crown. 

Not sure I've ever heard such bad feedback about a gun. Unfortunate, as I do admire the ingenuity and fresh thinking needed to come up with something new, and its disappointing that it hasn't worked out. Ultimately its on Benelli for not ironing these issues out before the gun came on the market, but hopefully it doesn't stop them from trying new things