Portable A/C Ventilation Problem

PhilR

I bought a portable a/c unit last week with the savings made not shooting every weekend. It was a godsend for us and the dog to keep the temperature down in our south facing lounge for the couple of days it was roasting. 

We just used the supplied flexi hose and stuck it out of the French doors and pulled the curtain across it. 

It was a bit of a faff and as the unit comes with a wall adaptor plate to provide through the wall ventilation I thought I'd give it a go. 

This is where I have the problem. The unit instructions specify 125mm ducting so I bought a 125mm vent kit with duct pipe and both internal and external vents. Had a mate on standby with his core drill to make the necessary hole. When I tried to fit the wall adaptor plate to the duct pipe I couldn't as they're both the same 125 OD. I then bought a 125 to 125 connector thinking that would either fit inside or over the pipe and spigot on the adaptor plate. It doesn't it's the same diameter. The blasted thing got very close to being kicked into touch. The internal diameter of the spigot on the adaptor plate is 120mm.

I can't find a vent kit of this size. They're 150mm, 125mm or 100mm measurements and although there are step up or down convertors 120mm doesn't figure anywhere. 

Luckily I don't have a hole in the wall yet. 

Can anyone please advise how I can marry up the wall adaptor plate spigot to a piece of ducting so I can install the a/c which will give me some peace and quiet from SWMBO. 

Go to any metal shop and get a bit of aluminium plate roles and welded or riveted to suit your connectors. Some aluminium duct tape and jobs jobbed. Or go and buy a rubber drainage pipe connector.

Here is a link to a easy solution for you 

https://www.lbsbmonline.co.uk/flexseal-dc135-drain-coupling-120-135mm

Edited by figgy

Thank you for your replies guys.  I've been directed to the Tool Station catalogue where they have a reduction connector with a 125mm ID which will fit over the wall plate spigot and the other end is 100mm ID  to connect to 100mm duct pipe.  Collect tomorrow and hopefully it'll be sorted without any more stress.  I mean it's only a hole to drill in the wall, what could possibly go wrong......... 

19 hours ago, PhilR said:

Thank you for your replies guys.  I've been directed to the Tool Station catalogue where they have a reduction connector with a 125mm ID which will fit over the wall plate spigot and the other end is 100mm ID  to connect to 100mm duct pipe.  Collect tomorrow and hopefully it'll be sorted without any more stress.  I mean it's only a hole to drill in the wall, what could possibly go wrong......... 

mind the cables to the plug sockets

Just a brief update.

The Toolstation parts fitted the bill perfectly. My pal loaned me his core drill as he was working elsewhere, and gave me instructions on how to do the job.

I used a gizmo to check there wasn't any hidden pipes etc and I managed to drill the hole without drama and without turning the air blue.

Wifey and dog now happy the a/c is working well and just waiting for the hot weather to return.