.410 For my Daughter

Taileron

After months of deliberation I decided to get my daughter a .410 as her start into shooting. She may not be able to hit anything with the 9g carts I have got but I’m thinking it will get her used to the noise, recoil and feel of a shotgun. I picked up a Yildiz spz ( non ejector ) to make things even simpler for her. First impressions out of the box, what a cracking little gun for less than £400 brand new with 5 years warranty, lovely bit of wood and it appears to be very well put together, for what in shotgun terms is virtually no money. 

Lets hope she like her birthday gift.

83441A28-D9E9-47B0-9BB7-23364B82AF3D.jpeg

4A4F8540-C9D6-4808-881A-F030C8726CA0.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Taileron said:

She may not be able to hit anything with the 9g carts I have got

Ring ahead to whatever clay ground you are going to use and ask them if they can set up a slow, into the wind clay that can be busted at about 15 - 20 yards as it 'dies'  for her as a beginner. I am lucky that I go to a privately run clay shoot and we always start the kids off with something that they can hit - confidence is everything.

6 minutes ago, hod said:

That stock does look nice! Out of curiosity, how old is your daughter? Seems to be a wide age range folk look to get their kids into shooting.

She is 10, but with the build of a 12 year old. I’m 6ft 4 so she was never going to be tiny. I don’t think that age is the best guide TBH, it’s about maturity and experience. She has been sat watching me and her mom shoot since she was 8 and has been nagging for a go for some time.

4 minutes ago, 243deer said:

Ring ahead to whatever clay ground you are going to use and ask them if they can set up a slow, into the wind clay that can be busted at about 15 - 20 yards as it 'dies'  for her as a beginner. I am lucky that I go to a privately run clay shoot and we always start the kids off with something that they can hit - confidence is everything.

Same here, I have the use of a private ground. We were setting up a perfect incoming hanger on Sunday, fingers crossed she can whack it this Sunday. If not then lots of praise and practice. I’m going to deliberately miss loads prior to her having a go......at least that’s what I’m telling myself!

Great choice, I have one for my youngest and he loves it.  I wish I had bought the non ejector though as its really stiff to open and he's been hit in the head a few times by ejected cartridges.  Seems like they use the same springs as they do for 12 bores as they seem to fly about 20 feet into the air!!

5 minutes ago, Taileron said:

Same here, I have the use of a private ground. We were setting up a perfect incoming hanger on Sunday, fingers crossed she can whack it this Sunday. If not then lots of praise and practice. I’m going to deliberately miss loads prior to her having a go......at least that’s what I’m telling myself!

I would not deliberately miss any if I were you, kids have this annoying habit of being a better shot 10 minutes after they have started. As for 9g carts - I use a lot around the farm ratting - they are surprisingly powerful

Very nice gun .

Get her to bust a few stationary on the ground first .that way you can instantly  see where  she may be missing .and then the aim or head position can be corrected .

After that get her on the moving ones.

15 - 20 yds should be ideal .as the pattern is smaller and easier to see where the misses are going .

A small dirt bank will help .

What a nice position to be in. My 12 year old daughter has zero interest in shooting and I can't see that changing. Even offered many times to pay her to work the buttons when I'm on the clays but she flatly refuses 😆

As previously said, I would start her off on stationary targets first. If she struggles with those she won't hit a moving clay. Most of all, make it fun with lots of encouragement.

5 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Very nice gun .

Get her to bust a few stationary on the ground first .that way you can instantly  see where  she may be missing .and then the aim or head position can be corrected .

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I will try the stationary ones, had not thought of that👍

4 hours ago, MrPhantom said:

What a nice position to be in. My 12 year old daughter has zero interest in shooting and I can't see that changing. Even offered many times to pay her to work the buttons when I'm on the clays but she flatly refuses 😆

Yes, fully agree, I’m very lucky with my little one, she is double keen to have a go.

3 hours ago, salop sniper said:

What do they come choked at or are they multi choke ? 

It’s a multi choke, comes with 5.

Good choice my lads just moved onto the 28 bore.  I like the 12g 9s as a starter cartridge as you get loads more pellets over the 9g with a steady incoming teal and off you go.

Personally I’d not shoot static targets with her as it gets them subconsciously aiming not pointing.  

17 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

with a steady incoming teal and off you go.

Went out yesterday afternoon with my buddy for a Stress relief DTL session, which turned out to be a stress raising disaster as neither of us could hit a barn door. The fella that runs the traps at Millride has agreed to allow us to come over on one night next week and he will lock off and wind down the spring on the incoming teal. It will be really slow and have a nice presentation right in front of her. Sunday AM we are off to our little private ground ( which is a massive field owned by a pal with our traps setup ) and she will be doing some simple mounting and firing practice.

On 01/07/2020 at 12:53, 243deer said:

Good advise. They must hit something straight away for the bug to bite.  I have the grown up version of the Yilditz O.U for four years and it is a joy to shoot.  Yilditz went through a period when they had a lot of problems with the actions but I believe that has all been sorted.  Let us have a picture or two of her face when she gets her present and hits that first clay.

Pleased to report she absolutely loved her gift. We laid up 10 static clays and she hit all 10, no messing about or fear whatsoever, I was over the moon. Hopefully the weather will be good this weekend and we are going to move onto some easy slow moving incoming hangers.

Funny how things work out, I took out her little gun for a blast, what a laugh it was. I have not enjoyed shooting any gun as much as I enjoyed shooting her .410 on a sporting layout. I sort of expected to miss every shot, when you hit them, it was the same satisfaction I remembered from when I first started shooting....so I have just bought another for me. 30” with the adult version stock.

On 09/07/2020 at 20:28, Taileron said:

Pleased to report she absolutely loved her gift. We laid up 10 static clays and she hit all 10, no messing about or fear whatsoever, I was over the moon. Hopefully the weather will be good this weekend and we are going to move onto some easy slow moving incoming hangers.

Funny how things work out, I took out her little gun for a blast, what a laugh it was. I have not enjoyed shooting any gun as much as I enjoyed shooting her .410 on a sporting layout. I sort of expected to miss every shot, when you hit them, it was the same satisfaction I remembered from when I first started shooting....so I have just bought another for me. 30” with the adult version stock.

Briliant news, enjoy :good: