Stinkhorn Fungus.

ratchers

1 hour ago, ratchers said:

Nevr seen one before and nearly knocked into it on a stalk, thank goodness I didn't as i believe they smell🤢

mike_20_06.28_225.JPG

You did well to spot that. 

20200701_153226.jpg.f731adb4a547517ad619dbe15ed6fea6.jpg20200701_153208.jpg.027725d1257a9cf65e29c7d99fd6fac0.jpg

I spotted this while out today, but I've not got my book to check what it is with me, fungi certainly come in some strange shapes and colours. 

1 hour ago, ratchers said:

Nevr seen one before and nearly knocked into it on a stalk, thank goodness I didn't as i believe they smell🤢

They give off a smell of rotting flesh to attract flies which spread the spores. They start life looking like jelly eggs which can be eaten before the horn appears

Edited by martinj

26 minutes ago, Mice! said:

You did well to spot that. 

20200701_153226.jpg.f731adb4a547517ad619dbe15ed6fea6.jpg20200701_153208.jpg.027725d1257a9cf65e29c7d99fd6fac0.jpg

I spotted this while out today, but I've not got my book to check what it is with me, fungi certainly come in some strange shapes and colours. 

Looks like Dryads Saddle, my wife found one growing from an old stump just like this

https://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guide/dryads-saddle/

19 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Have not seen one for well over 60yrs and then they where not common.  Fascinating things as Mice says, saw this one the other day at the base of an oak tree, reminded me of a nice omelette.

This, I think, is the Sulphur polypore or "Chicken of the woods" the books say it's edible so I ate some, it does have the texture of chicken if you take some young bits, but tastes like cardboard and is best left on the tree in my opinion (despite what Hugh Fernley says!)

26 minutes ago, martinj said:

This, I think, is the Sulphur polypore or "Chicken of the woods" the books say it's edible so I ate some, it does have the texture of chicken if you take some young bits, but tastes like cardboard and is best left on the tree in my opinion (despite what Hugh Fernley says!)

If you unknowingly eat the old bits you wont do it again ... 🤮

I’ve only ever seen one before. I smelt it before I saw it. I honestly thought there was a dead rotten sheep about. The smell was horrible when I got close to it for a look  there was loads flies all over the end off it 🤮