New Permission

Esker

Hi Guys

I've (luckily) managed to secure a permission with a friend of a friend. He's told me he has loads of rabbits running about and I'd be helping him out if I could reduce the numbers. I'm pretty new to game shooting and with this being my first permission and wanting to make a good impression/ not look a fool - I was wondering if you guys had any advice as to, essential equipment, general prep and considerations of what to take with me and ask? 

So far I'm thinking to take a land permission form detailing the relevant info and what is permissible or not for me to shoot (as he's more than likely going to have a few magpies, crows and squirrels knocking about) and a print out from Gmaps/ OS Maps to draw the boundaries. Do I need to be as formal as to offer a copy of some identification? 

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance 

Esk

If the friend already shoots the ground then best walk it with him first, get him to introduce you to the farmer, you have been asked to help clear rabbits, then that’s all you shoot till you get to know the farmer, once you have been a few times you can then ask if its ok to shoot other vermin/pests.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Okay, that sounds like sound advice! From the brief chat we had on the phone it's his land and he's not shooting on it himself, Will get more info tomorrow I'm sure.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome

Ok, so have you ever shot rabbits before?

What live quarry have you killed?

Will you be shooting during the day or night?

What type of gun will you be using?

Just to answer a couple of your questions….

Permission to shoot form, I have never carried such paperwork but I always have the farmers contact details in my phone, but if it makes you feel better then ask him if he would fill-in a permission to shoot form.

Taking a Google Maps print-out of the area is a good idea.

Form of ID, get some cheap cards printed with your details on, or for now a neatly written card with your contact details on.

Some form of insurance is highly recommended too , BASC ect.

Check your public rights of way on an OS map, avoid shooting across these, and if walkers rambers ect are around, cease shooting until they have left.
Members of the public dont usually understand guns, and even a 12 ft lb air rifle looks like a deadly weapon to them.

Wear some camo that blends in with the terrain you are shooting on.

As said , try to shoot with someone who knows the land first, and many of these questions will be answered for you.

22 minutes ago, old'un said:

Ok, so have you ever shot rabbits before?

Never shot rabbits.

What live quarry have you killed?

Pigeons, Corvids, Rat's and the odd Squirrel

Will you be shooting during the day or night?

I will ask this tomorrow, but he said they're most active early evening. 

What type of gun will you be using?

I'll be using a Non FAC Air Rifle (Stoeger X20 S2)- I understand this will be a challenge (to say the least) but the gunsmiths I bought it from assured me it will be adequate within 30 meters.

Just to answer a couple of your questions….

Permission to shoot form, I have never carried such paperwork but I always have the farmers contact details in my phone, but if it makes you feel better then ask him if he would fill-in a permission to shoot form.

Taking a Google Maps print-out of the area is a good idea.

Form of ID, get some cheap cards printed with your details on, or for now a neatly written card with your contact details on.

27 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Some form of insurance is highly recommended too , BASC ect.

I'm on the website as we speak 

Check your public rights of way on an OS map, avoid shooting across these, and if walkers rambers ect are around, cease shooting until they have left.
Members of the public dont usually understand guns, and even a 12 ft lb air rifle looks like a deadly weapon to them.

I have some experience of shooting previously (Clays, targets and helping out a relative when I was a little younger) so I have some ingrained habits, though I never really dealt with any of the technicalities as a youngster, so I'm sure it will become abundantly clear what I don't know as things progress. Luckily as I said, he's a friend of a friend and hopefully won't be too judgemental. 

Wear some camo that blends in with the terrain you are shooting on.

Will have a look around at the terrain tomorrow 

27 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

As said , try to shoot with someone who knows the land first, and many of these questions will be answered for you.

Agreed 

If you have shot squirrels then the same head shots on rabbits at 30 yards will kill them all day long, you really need to get on the ground without the gun and just sit and watch from a distance, as you say late evening is best time, take some midge spray with you. :yes:

Hi guys 

Thought I would give you a bit of an update as you took the time to give me some advice. 

Went to the permission yesterday and it looks perfect for me starting out with rabbits. It's a collection of 4-5 adjoining fields with shrubs and woodland around the perimeter. Each field is roughly 200-250 yards across and the land is littered with rabbits coming in from all directions. The owner told me there was a cull on nearby quarry which has pushed more rabbits his way. Being that no one has been shooting them for a little bit they're not too shy either so getting within 30 yards was fairly straightforward. 

Couple of little points I wanted to ask though 

1. I saw a lot of them were kits, I'm not thrilled about killing anything so young but he made no mention to them so am I to assume I should target all rabbits?

2. I tried to hint at some kind of schedule or days to shoot but he didn't really give me a straight answer and just said around this time is fine - Is it common practice to just turn up on your permission when you feel like it ? (obviously, being around that time I went) 

Cheers 

When it comes to shooting young I'm of the opinion that if they are above ground tucking into he's crops they are old enough to be shot.

I appreciate not everyone feels that way but when you've been asked to carry out a job like that the sooner you can make an noticeable dent in numbers the better. 

All my perms are go whenever you please, I have written slips for each at home but have got the names and numbers in my phone should there be an issue. Also have a copy of my insurance on my phone. Most farmers are extremely busy people and I don't like to be calling them unnecessarily. Some like to know exactly when you are on and off their land, maybe drop in and see him after your first shoot, give him an idea on what you've seen and what you've shot, and when your likely to be around again. See what he says?

With regards to insurance give Countryside Cover a look, all the benefits of BASC cover without paying to support a lead ban amongst other things.

Good luck and shoot plenty 👍

26 minutes ago, Esker said:

2. I tried to hint at some kind of schedule or days to shoot but he didn't really give me a straight answer and just said around this time is fine - Is it common practice to just turn up on your permission when you feel like it ? (obviously, being around that time I went

Ask him if he would like a quick text or call before you turn up, otherwise yes, just turn up. 

As far as shooting the kits, it sounds like there are plenty of adults to take, so if you're not comfortable, leave them till they grow up. 

This is the ethical part of taking quarry, and is a whole new subject 🙄

I personally don’t shoot very small young rabbits but I know some will kill anything they see, start with the adults, you can pick the younger rabbits off when they have a little bit more meat on them, unless of course you intend to wipe them out, then kill anything you see/can.

Obviously you don’t want to-be on the ground at inconvenient times for the land owner, so a quick phone call the day before to confirm its ok to go will keep him happy and make you feel more at ease, after he gets to know you he may tell you to come when you like.

Just a point with regards the paddocks you will be shooting, I where possible drive the grass fields and shoot from the vehicle but obviously you will not be doing that to start with, but you could in the future just drop it in a conversation that you could kill more if you could drive the fields, but don’t push it if there seems some resistance to this suggestion.