Steel hits the mark at new workshops

Following the joint announcement from shooting and rural organisations of a voluntary transition away from lead shot for live quarry shooting over the next five years, BASC is kickstarting new initiatives to help members and the wider community. Leading by example, we have launched a series of sustainable ammunition days providing bespoke opportunities to members.

BASC’s sustainable ammunition days provide members with the opportunity to try non-lead loads and understand more about their shotgun’s capability.

Some quotes from our first 2 day event:

“Yes, the shot is effective and breaks the clays well, although some of the loads were a little more punchy than the usual lead shot.” – Terry-Anne B.

“For my level of shooting it did not make a great deal of difference. It certainly did not make it worse.” – Michael H.

“Hard hitting, accurate, equal, or better than lead.” – Peter B.

“I found no difference when shooting clays, would like to try on game.” – Sean A.

“No real difference between the two, walking away with a new favourite brand.” – Sam G. 

“I want to move to steel and biodegradable for game shooting.” – Peter F.

“It is just a question of getting to know the cartridge and get some practice with them.” – Simon E.

“Already have confidence in steel shot and have no concerns about the future.” – Ian C.

“I was worried before because you see a lot of mixed opinions both good and bad. After trying them I will be changing over.” – Mathew H.

“Excellent, the steel shot cartridges performed very well. I was particularly impressed with the quality kills.” – Richard A

Click here to find out more

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, London Best said:

And how many of the cartridges supplied would have fitted an English game gun with the traditional 2 1/2 inch chambers, as used by tens of thousands of game shooters?

All we need to find now is tens of thousands of 2.5 inch game guns. :lol:

5 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

All we need to find now is tens of thousands of 2.5 inch game guns.

Most people I shoot regularly with are using them for driven days,   
OK, so I have used steel shot through a 2.75 inch chamber for wildfowl for 22 years, but I don’t want to use an old Spanish clunker for driven partridge, I like a bit of finesse.

38 minutes ago, London Best said:

And how many of the cartridges supplied would have fitted an English game gun with the traditional 2 1/2 inch chambers, as used by tens of thousands of game shooters?

Not forgetting the 3" chamber 12Gs....and then there are the 10Gs...2 5/8", 2 7/8", 3" , 3 1/4".... and then there are the 8Gs in  3 1/4", and......and...

And there was me thinking that basc had morphed out of WAGBI....an organisation born ,developed and promoted to protect the interests of Wildfowlers.... . Oh well, the current bsc mouthpiece for wildfowler interests has  probably never heard of these guns. After all, if it is not an automatic and dressed in camo, then it ain't a 'fowling gun. I rest my case.

5 minutes ago, Westley said:

The gunshop shelves are full of them  !   Most of them rendered worthless.

But i do not think they have been woth anything for 25 years or more, its not like its a recent thing. And what is more its not been brought about by non Lead either.

1 hour ago, matone said:

Surely a 24-26gm load of steel No5 would be do able for 21/2 " inch guns and lightweight guns in general for driven game and decoying ???

Doable and most probably with an untrimed wad if the right powder was used with a suitable case volume/ performance. the thing is, if it had been a area lots could be sold as sugested, the cartridge manufacturers would have been all over this like a rash. but there not, and this indicates its not a big requirement.   Reload if your running anything no longer mainstream, big bores have been doing this for decades now.

Lancer ,

I am afraid that you are wrong in thinking that the demise of traditional English gameguns has not been accelerated by their inability to shoot steel loads . As you well know I think that steel / soft iron as a Lead alternative is an abomination and needs to be banned and scrapped in my honest opinion .

Frustratingly BASC is actively promoting the banning of Lead shot , but I note in their Press release today they couldn't even give their cartridge sponsors full credit , choosing to use as their banner headline Lyalvale Express Cartidges . I am sure my good friend Marcus Iddon is delighted with the free advertising .

37 minutes ago, clangerman said:

binned the steel stocked piled a obscene amount of lead and will be adding to it the people quoted obviously don’t shoot real pigeons a t**d will break a clay steel is rubbish! 

Agreed

Are BASC not in bed with Eley? If they were the eley cartridges with the new biodegradable wad I could understand the idea of the event if Lyalvale Express cartridges then they have littered the ground with thick non biodegradable single use plastic wads.

please Conor tell us this was not the case?

ok just looked at the link so

Each attendee took several of each type of shell and headed off to the simulated game layouts to try them.

IMG_0257.jpg
IMG_0256.jpg
IMG_0258.jpg

So all around what £340 plus per 1000 nice cheap pigeon cartridges.

Edited by rbrowning2

Steel loads were extra cheap a few years ago....what happened????

1 hour ago, London Best said:

OK, so I have used steel shot through a 2.75 inch chamber for wildfowl for 22 years, but I don’t want to use an old Spanish clunker for driven partridge, I like a bit of finesse.

Exactly! There are plenty of lightweight 23/4 " guns around too,which the current 32gm steel loads are totally unsuitable for !

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Don’t hold your breath waiting for an answer; I’m still waiting for an answer as to why the fazing out of  lead rifle ammo isn’t being mooted. 

Like you, Scully, I have no problem with firing steel through any of my guns, but I won’t put a load rated at 70 mm through a 65 mm chamber. The problem is, the manufacturers do not offer a suitable load in UK. I believe 65 mm steel loads are available in Denmark, loaded by Gamebore.

Some of my deer control is for a wildlife trust and copper bullets are required. Nosier E tips work very well for me.

1 hour ago, lancer425 said:

But i do not think they have been woth anything for 25 years or more, its not like its a recent thing. And what is more its not been brought about by non Lead either.

Doable and most probably with an untrimed wad if the right powder was used with a suitable case volume/ performance. the thing is, if it had been a area lots could be sold as sugested, the cartridge manufacturers would have been all over this like a rash. but there not, and this indicates its not a big requirement.   Reload if your running anything no longer mainstream, big bores have been doing this for decades now.

So why are so many cartridges loaded in 65/67mm cases by the big companies?????

1 minute ago, matone said:

So why are so many cartridges loaded in 65/67mm cases by the big companies?????

67s give a broader use, incorpotating 2.5 inch guns as well as still having room for typical 70mm loads even bigger loads. like the old dan arms mini mags in the 67 case from the late 80s.

70mm is the hull of choice in typical 12s today, but 3 inch gaining ground with non lead and why most new guns have 3 inch chambers compared to the equivalent models 10/ 15 years ago being mostly just 70mm.

Manufacturers are incorporating 3 inch to increase versatility/ appeal.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Have the chambers extended to 2.75 then problem solved.  if they make steel in 2.5 not an issue... if they don't ... not an issue. 

I have a pair of best english guns. I will use 2.5 if they make them, if they do not .. get the chambers extended.. job done

or bin them and get a modern gun and look trendy with upside down barrels 🙂

Edited by Terry2016

56 minutes ago, Scully said:

Don’t hold your breath waiting for an answer; I’m still waiting for an answer as to why the fazing out of  lead rifle ammo isn’t being mooted. 

https://basc.org.uk/deer-management/stalking-schemes/

Can you see any mention of using lead free ammo? 

Only on Arran for some reason. 

You'd think they'd make more of it given their new stance on shotgun ammo. 

Edited by ClemFandango

9 hours ago, London Best said:

I won’t put a load rated at 70 mm through a 65 mm chamber. The problem is, the manufacturers do not offer a suitable load in UK.

Millimetres? I thought this was England! 

Next we will have ordering a 0.568 litre of beer or be the proud parents of a 3.67kg baby.