trout smoker

KFC

Had a bit of dosh spare from Birthday and Father's Day so treated myself to a Callow smoker.

Caught a Trout this morning so filleted it, loaded the smoker with some Apple wood and, after an hour in rock salt, gave the trout a 25min smoking.

Absolutely delicious and so easy. Definitely the way to go from now on.smoke_trout.jpg.dc31009a248bfa1607c21c8170a58382.jpg

1 hour ago, KFC said:

Had a bit of dosh spare from Birthday and Father's Day so treated myself to a Callow smoker.

Caught a Trout this morning so filleted it, loaded the smoker with some Apple wood and, after an hour in rock salt, gave the trout a 25min smoking.

Absolutely delicious and so easy. Definitely the way to go from now on.smoke_trout.jpg.dc31009a248bfa1607c21c8170a58382.jpg

Looks lovely!! I done some ghetto smoking for my father in law a few years ago. I don't have a smoker so I used an old enamel roasting tin, lined the bottom of it with applewood chips, covered it with tin foil and poked holes in it, laid the salted fillets on top and put the lid on. I set it up over a small fire outside for 15 minutes and it came out lovely. If I can find the pics I'll put em up. You have successfully put me in the notion to get a smoker now! Which one did you get?

I have an old ABU smoker I purchased back in the late 60s and it still produces some fantatstic meals.  I built a large smoker/broiler from a 45g barrel and have done some good briskets on there low and slow for 8-10hrs. 

Try pigeon breast, pheasant ..partridge as well.  Backstrap from a muntie also makes good eating sliced very thin.... finger food.

12 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Looks lovely!! I done some ghetto smoking for my father in law a few years ago. I don't have a smoker so I used an old enamel roasting tin, lined the bottom of it with applewood chips, covered it with tin foil and poked holes in it, laid the salted fillets on top and put the lid on. I set it up over a small fire outside for 15 minutes and it came out lovely. If I can find the pics I'll put em up. You have successfully put me in the notion to get a smoker now! Which one did you get?

Hi Rob, I got a Callow smoker from Amazon. It's quite handy with two meths burners underneath it means I don't have to muck about with bbq coals or anything. My buddy uses Oak wood so I'll try some of that too.

I wrapped the wood chips in foil, which I punctured to let the smoke out, and also put a layer of foil on the drip-tray. Helped cleaning and disposal of chips afterwards.

Edited by KFC
more info

• 1 year later...

Back in to hot smoking at the moment. I'm doing trout and sea fish fillets. Literally just had a trevally fillet for lunch! 24 hour marinate with maple syrup and a brown sugar:salt at a ratio of 2:1, plus lemon zest. Sounds like it will be too sweet, but it's not. Handful of sawdust in a box-type smoker. Too much sawdust makes the fish taste bitter. Half a cup of meths in a burner underneath. When the meths is burnt out, it's done. Cooking time is only 15 - 20 minutes.  Good results!