Shoot left handed with a right handed gun

Burney

I have MS and as a consequence of a relapse lost the sight in my right eye for about 6 months. In that period I shot off my left shoulder with the same gun. It took some adjusting but when i got used to it I was away. I really dont think the cast of the gun made any difference. Additionally, one of my good friends naturally shoots left handed. He shoots a right handed gun given to him when he was 16. He’s an excellent shot with it. 

I am sure the instructors out there will give some sound advice on this but is it not a matter of eye dominance and overall gunfit? I am right handed but shoot off my left shoulder. I cannot remember even as a child putting a toy rifle to my right shoulder. I am left eye dominant and whilst I can shoot a right handed guns those I shoot as my regulars are all cast left handed and I do shoot better that way.

I am lefthanded, shoot off the left shoulder, but have a right master eye, so consequently I tend to shut my right eye just before taking the shot.

However, referring to the OP's question, I find I can shoot OK with a right handed O/U but need left hand cast if shooting one of my side by sides. I find that, for whatever reason, a side by side has to be a better fit for me to shoot as well as I do with my O/Us.

OB

Never been able to justify the extra to buy a left handed gun so I've always shot right handed rifles lefthanded. The only time I ever really had an issue was shooting an air rifle with a roll over cheek piece that had a relatively sharp edge on the wrong side. Id like to try a left handed gun and just see if it made a difference. 

12 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

Never been able to justify the extra to buy a left handed gun so I've always shot right handed rifles lefthanded. The only time I ever really had an issue was shooting an air rifle with a roll over cheek piece that had a relatively sharp edge on the wrong side. Id like to try a left handed gun and just see if it made a difference. 

It amazes me that lefthanded shooters when purchasing a gun look for the limited range of those with cast on stocks, when there is a greater range of right handed guns for sale where the casting on from cast off stock is a relatively easy and inexpensive option. I know that on SxSs the triggers are set over for right handed use, but this isn't normally a great problem to get used to.

OB

A lefty friend of mine shot for forty years with right handed guns. Tried several different guns over the years. He was carp. About twelve years ago he bit the bullet and opened his wallet and had his favourite gun cast on to suit him. What a transformation! He has shot well ever since and gets better because confidence helps. He says he wishes he had done it years ago. He was just too tight.

A good shot can shoot reasonably well (sometimes very well) with a gun that doesn't fit too well - by adjusting his gun mount such that a suitable 'alignment' is achieved.  However, it is quite hard to be really consistent, and the need to 'align' spoils the spontaneity of shooting, so that snap shots become unreliable.  'Aligning by eye' also tends to draw the eye from the target to the gun

Conversely, a well fitted gun allows shooting without having to think about the gun - and most people who shoot like this don't see the rib or foresight pip consciously.  It is both faster, more instinctive and should be consistent.  Concentration can be 100% on the target.

12 hours ago, grahamch said:

Am a lefty. My maxus has had safety changed to lh operation and l get on fine with that. My 12 and 20 game guns are RH actions with LH cast off and they fit fine

Please excuse my total ignorance of semi autos, never owned or used one, but is it not off putting having the ejected cartridge eject across your face when shooting your Maxus left handed ?

OB

54 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Please excuse my total ignorance of semi autos, never owned or used one, but is it not off putting having the ejected cartridge eject across your face when shooting your Maxus left handed ?

OB

Not for me, l dont notice then. Can get dazzled by the odd breach flash when moon flighting wigeon