Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Back in the seventies I used to drink rum and pep (peppermint cordial, not Pepsi).

I have ordered some peppermint cordial with a view to trying it again. I just used to order it at the bar, so I don’t know what the mix ratio of rum to pep was. Anybody have any idea? Any seventies barmen out there?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Practice until you get it right or fall over!:rolleyes:

Just watching A&E After Dark.

There is a woman with severe facial injuries after practicing that technique, so I think I’ll give that suggestion a miss 😬

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not old enough to have served in the 70s, but I did used to serve rum and pep to a regular customer about 20 years ago. 

That would have been a ratio of 1:1 as they were a shot of each from 25ml (or maybe 35ml?) optics, and I distinctively remember it being Lambs Navy Rum and Schweppes brand peppermint cordial.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

I'm not old enough to have served in the 70s, but I did used to serve rum and pep to a regular customer about 20 years ago. 

That would have been a ratio of 1:1 as they were a shot of each from 25ml (or maybe 35ml?) optics, and I distinctively remember it being Lambs Navy Rum and Schweppes brand peppermint cordial.

Perfect thank you. I have ordered the Schweppes and I have some Lambs 👍👍👍👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like that would make a great mouthwash 😋

Must say that I served in a pub for about 3 years in the mid to late 80's and never heard of or served that concoction 😕

Although rum and black [currant] springs to mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JKD said:

Sounds like that would make a great mouthwash 😋

Must say that I served in a pub for about 3 years in the mid to late 80's and never heard of or served that concoction 😕

Although rum and black [currant] springs to mind.

Used to be quite popular in the seventies. Well, it was in Hull.

Girls with expensive taste used to drink BrandyCham (brandy and Babycham). If they ordered that on a first date, you dumped them pretty quickly. High maintenance.

A lot of girls drank lager and black.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

Used to be quite popular in the seventies. Well, it was in Hull.

Girls with expensive taste used to drink BrandyCham (brandy and Babycham). If they ordered that on a first date, you dumped them pretty quickly. High maintenance.

A lot of girls drank lager and black.

ooohhh yes ...remember that ....and "snowballs" with a cherry.............and the bloke would have lager&lime............and lady's of the night would have a port&lemon

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ditchman said:

ooohhh yes ...remember that ....and "snowballs" with a cherry.............and the bloke would have lager&lime............and lady's of the night would have a port&lemon

So how many port and lemons did you end up buying Ditchy ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ditchman said:

ooohhh yes ...remember that ....and "snowballs" with a cherry.............and the bloke would have lager&lime............and lady's of the night would have a port&lemon

Bought a few port & lemons did you?

I still drink lager and lime, especially when barbecuing. You must have tongs in one hand and a bottle in the other. There is no other way! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, moondoggy said:

Just watching A&E After Dark.

There is a woman with severe facial injuries after practicing that technique, so I think I’ll give that suggestion a miss 😬

I saw that one. Whatever did she fall on? A working lawnmower?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Practice until you get it right or fall over!

.....  as above AND fall over.  Was THE drink of choice way back when.......  late 50s   60s .... in our local pub, frequented by miners mainly .... not a spelling mistake ... miners as in rough tough guys who hacked coal from a face often no more than 3ft high.  Usually a pint of stout lingering close by as well.

It became a ladies drink later on I remember.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

.....  as above AND fall over.  Was THE drink of choice way back when.......  late 50s   60s .... in our local pub, frequented by miners mainly .... not a spelling mistake ... miners as in rough tough guys who hacked coal from a face often no more than 3ft high.  Usually a pint of stout lingering close by as well.

It became a ladies drink later on I remember.

Thanks for that. Perhaps I will restart an old trend then. Can’t claim to be a roughty, toughty miner though. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Practice until you get it right or fall over!:rolleyes:

 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

.....  as above AND fall over.  Was THE drink of choice way back when.......  late 50s   60s .... in our local pub, frequented by miners mainly .... not a spelling mistake ... miners as in rough tough guys who hacked coal from a face often no more than 3ft high.  Usually a pint of stout lingering close by as well.

It became a ladies drink later on I remember.

 

56 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

Thanks for that. Perhaps I will restart an old trend then. Can’t claim to be a roughty, toughty miner though. 👍

Well if you're not a roughty toughty miner, perhaps you're a lady?:w00t:

l.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/07/2020 at 16:06, Fatcatsplat said:

My Uncle's drink of choice and mine as a youth - Would love to find out where to get peppermint from though. Used to be rum and pep, or another was shrub, whatever the hell that was

Morrison’s had it, but when my delivery came, they had run out. So I am gutted I didn’t get to try my rum and pep.

I will keep looking and if I find a supplier, I will let you know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/07/2020 at 07:17, moondoggy said:

Used to be quite popular in the seventies. Well, it was in Hull.

Girls with expensive taste used to drink BrandyCham (brandy and Babycham). If they ordered that on a first date, you dumped them pretty quickly. High maintenance.

A lot of girls drank lager and black.

I remember serving rum and pep during the late 80's but it was to older customers. Roughly 1:1 iirc.

Brandy and  babycham, locally known as "A Knicker Dropper".

One place I worked at a lot of the girls drank what they called "A Red Witch". Cider, blackcurrant and a shot of Pernod if memory serves me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, washerboy said:

Port and lemon was my mums Christmas day drink, we were made to try one. My sister would have a snowball, lemonade and advaca? 

advocaat

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...