Old flintlock. Any info?

spandit

For as long as I can remember, there has been this old flintlock musket at my father's house. I thought it had been stolen but found it buried in the garage as I was clearing it out.

It's pretty roughly made but can anyone shed any light on it?

IMG-20200702-WA0006.jpeg.76023096cbffcb8824064362fb18a822.jpegIMG-20200702-WA0004.jpeg.139959f9477a4a4e56a242d77ee4c61f.jpeg

The mechanism actually seems to work but the barrel isn't attached so will need brazing/welding

2 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I'm most likely way off the mark but it just doesn't look "right" - the stock seems to be shaped like the Arabic early muskets and the lock looks like it's from a totally different gun - could it be a hash up to use for re enactment?

The lock does look better made than the rest.

As said, it just does not look right, but having said that I have seen some genuine Arab flintlocks and they looked like the local blacksmith knocked them up and more than likely did.

There’s seems to-be some writing on the lock plate, can you make out what it says?

Think its time for a screwdriver and some wire wool.

The barrel should be detachable. It will have been made as a tube. The front end left open to load the powder and bullet and wad down. The rear end will have been internally threaded to had a block of metal screwed on to close that end and form the breech. This breech should have a stub sticking out from its rear. This engages with the stock and the barrel itself is held down by bands holding it to the stock. If you have a visit to Henry Krank's website you'll see exploded views of such replica pistols that'll maybe give and idea of how it is put together?

1 hour ago, spandit said:

Looks identical to a Charleville type. Don't know if they were made under licence in North Africa

Have shown a blown up picture of the lock to a friend who is a language teacher, she said the writing looks like old French but was unable to decipher what it says.

Like I said, think its time to get your screwdriver out and cleanup the parts, it might reveal a few hidden marks/symbols that will help identify it.    

The top part of the cock jaw  appears to be missing, which clamps the flint between itself and the bottom cock jaw, which is part of the cock itself, being all one piece. I may be wrong, but that’s how it looks to me. 
Henry Krank will have one, if so. 
3in 1 oil and a fine wire wool will will get the lock clean.
I used to clean flint and percussion locks as a kid, for a local historian. Great fun. 

The stock resemble  Albanian and the barrel would be secured  with barrel bands  made from either brass, copper , or tin sheet ,the lock is typical French  with a French style of flint cock with a broken top jaw guns similar to these would have been for the tourist trad

Feltwad

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Have shown a blown up picture of the lock to a friend who is a language teacher, she said the writing looks like old French but was unable to decipher what it says.

Like I said, think its time to get your screwdriver out and cleanup the parts, it might reveal a few hidden marks/symbols that will help identify it.    

I think it says "Cheap and cheerful" in old French!:w00t:

Here's a better picture of the lock with some bits removed - surprised the screws came apart with little difficulty and the trigger mechanism still works fine.

20200702_114904.jpg.860f9a623072b0180202091c0b5944fd.jpg

I suspect that the lock is of some age but the stock is more recent - cobbled together as a tourist piece as someone said. My father doesn't remember where he obtained it. The barrel would be good for shooting round corners - it's not exactly straight (and it's blocked with something anyway).

There is some lettering on the barrel but difficult to make out - an "M" perhaps?

20200702_115908.jpg

2 hours ago, Feltwad said:

The stock resemble  Albanian and the barrel would be secured  with barrel bands  made from either brass, copper , or tin sheet ,the lock is typical French  with a French style of flint cock with a broken top jaw guns similar to these would have been for the tourist trad

Feltwad

The cock is not broken its missing its top jaw, easy to make if you have a hacksaw, drill and a few files, and of course a bit of steel.

On 02/07/2020 at 15:15, spandit said:

The barrel would be good for shooting round corners - it's not exactly straight (and it's blocked with something anyway).

The "something" blocking the barrel is probably a 1oz lead ball and 60 grains of black powder.  😃

• 1 month later...
On 02/07/2020 at 08:49, bruno22rf said:

I'm most likely way off the mark but it just doesn't look "right" - the stock seems to be shaped like the Arabic early muskets and the lock looks like it's from a totally different gun - could it be a hash up to use for re enactment?

Yeah looks like an Arab jezil flint lock musket believe it or not Sudanese tribesmen used these in great numbers at the battle of omdurman in 1898 i think it was

image that up against nice new shiny 8 shot long lee metford/enfield rifles volley firing those nasty new dum dum bullets

that a certain capt berti clay from the dum dum arsenal in India had recently designed 

bit of an **** twitcher that one I know what lines I.d have rather been standing in that day in history 

11 minutes ago, hafod said:

Yeah looks like an Arab jezil flint lock musket believe it or not Sudanese tribesmen used these in great numbers at the battle of omdurman in 1898 i think it was

image that up against nice new shiny 8 shot long lee metford/enfield rifles volley firing those nasty new dum dum bullets

that a certain capt berti clay from the dum dum arsenal in India had recently designed 

bit of an **** twitcher that one I know what lines I.d have rather been standing in that day in history 

Well hopefully not outside of the square with Colonel Burnaby!