Gislane Maxwell F.B.I.

ditchman

5 hours ago, Scully said:

What I’m trying to get at is that this incarceration/jail/imprisonment, whatever, for a year, flies in the face of the criteria on which our rights and freedoms are based; that of ‘innocent until proven guilty’.

And?  A year before a trial, with the accused on remand/in jail is hardly unheard of.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sit well with me either, but are you really only just noticing this now?

In a lot of countries, including our close European neighbours, you can rot in prison without even being charged.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Innocent until proven guilty indeed, Scully. And that's why unconvicted (remand) prisoners have more rights than convicted ones. I do wonder how exactly you think all the work I outlined in my earlier post should be done according to your idea of a reasonable timescale. Complex cases take a lot of time to get to trial. It's not always the fault of the prosecution or of the defence, for that matter. I have intimate knowledge of a case here in the UK in which the main suspect was charged last year. Today a Court listed it for a lengthy trial on the first available slot. It's next January. That's the way it is. Of course, if the suspect didn't want to run the risk of being incarcerated, they were at liberty to give no-one any reasonable grounds to suspect that they were involved in criminal conduct.

Edited by Sako7mm

6 hours ago, Sako7mm said:

Innocent until proven guilty indeed, Scully. And that's why unconvicted (remand) prisoners have more rights than convicted ones. I do wonder how exactly you think all the work I outlined in my earlier post should be done according to your idea of a reasonable timescale. Complex cases take a lot of time to get to trial. It's not always the fault of the prosecution or of the defence, for that matter. I have intimate knowledge of a case here in the UK in which the main suspect was charged last year. Today a Court listed it for a lengthy trial on the first available slot. It's next January. That's the way it is. Of course, if the suspect didn't want to run the risk of being incarcerated, they were at liberty to give no-one any reasonable grounds to suspect that they were involved in criminal conduct.

I know complex cases take time to get to trial, but that’s the problem of prosecutors, and not the problem of the ‘innocent until proven guilty’ suspect. 
It’s not as black and white as you suggest; it’s not unknown for people to be found innocent. Just a thought. 

7 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

And?  A year before a trial, with the accused on remand/in jail is hardly unheard of.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sit well with me either, but are you really only just noticing this now?

In a lot of countries, including our close European neighbours, you can rot in prison without even being charged.

7 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

None of that makes it right, or acceptable. 
It won’t be too long ( given the track record of PW ) before someone is ranting about the injustices of the way our legal system works, or doesn’t, and asking ‘ whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty’. 🙂

11 minutes ago, Mickeydredd said:

Oh dear, looks like there are tapes according to Gorgeous George, hope her suicide watch is better than Epstein's.....

Yes it's been suggested for a while that there are tapes. Epstein's island home was wired for sound and vision.

First time I've heard Blair's name mentioned in connection with the Epstein case. If there is a God . . .

1 hour ago, Scully said:I know complex cases take time to get to trial, but that’s the problem of prosecutors, and not the problem of the ‘innocent until proven guilty’ suspect.....
It's not unknown for people to be found innocent.

How on earth is when a trial is listed the problem of prosecutors? They do not dictate when a court hears a case. That is down to the court. 

You’re right about one thing- it’s not unknown for people to be found innocent. Like O.J. Simpson. 

Just now, B725 said:

Oh my there will be a lot of high ranking people absolutely bricking it, it will be very interesting what comes out over the next few week's 

A potential **** storm!

36 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

Yes it's been suggested for a while that there are tapes. Epstein's island home was wired for sound and vision.

First time I've heard Blair's name mentioned in connection with the Epstein case. If there is a God . . .

Teflon Tony will never get caught for his many crimes!

57 minutes ago, Mickeydredd said:

Oh dear, looks like there are tapes according to Gorgeous George,

Galloway is a fantasist - and makes up stories so that he can appear in the press - usually dressed up like a dogs breakfast regurgitated, spoken like an 'over the top' Shakespearian actor - and about half as reliable.  I don't think what he utters is anything more than pure guess work and fantasy.  However - tapes there may be ........... and we will have to wait and see if they turn up.  My guess is that they won't.

Hello, I see trump wished her well 🤔

30 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Galloway is a fantasist - and makes up stories so that he can appear in the press - usually dressed up like a dogs breakfast regurgitated, spoken like an 'over the top' Shakespearian actor - and about half as reliable.  I don't think what he utters is anything more than pure guess work and fantasy.  However - tapes there may be ........... and we will have to wait and see if they turn up.  My guess is that they won't.

Hello, what do you expect from a man that went for a nice afternoon tea with a mass murderer? 

1 hour ago, Sako7mm said:

How on earth is when a trial is listed the problem of prosecutors? They do not dictate when a court hears a case. That is down to the court. 

You’re right about one thing- it’s not unknown for people to be found innocent. Like O.J. Simpson. 

The issue is not the amount of time it takes to come to trial, the issue is being incarcerated until then.  There are other solutions available that could ensure her continued presence in the US, without imposing a full denial of liberty.

Edited by grrclark

4 hours ago, Mr_Nobody said:

Oh I really hope so - even though can't blame him for cavorting elsewhere than home.

5 hours ago, Sako7mm said:

5 hours ago, Sako7mm said:

You stated it took time for all the evidence etc to be gathered, and I’m not disputing that, but it is the problem of the prosecutors and indeed defence team, and not the problem of the accused, who as a result has lost their liberty while that work ensues.
My argument isn’t about the length of time to get to trial, but rather Maxwell being jailed until then....nigh on a year! 
Im not sure what point you’re trying to make regarding Simpson. 

6 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I can't answer that - other than to claim they are not of relevance to the case?

stuff that ....open the damn things...we all want a gander at them to bring a little excitement or whatever into our lives..:lol:

i should go into her cell and smack her bottom and make her tell everything....

Edited by ditchman