BASC to cease legal expenses cover wef 31 July 2020

https://basc.org.uk/important-notice-regarding-legal-expenses-insurance/

As mentioned in the "lead shot" thread although presently with SACS (I left BASC some time after the Richard Ali episode) I will be looking to CPSA Membership in December 2020 and not, at present, that CPSA as well as covering clay shooting also covers live quarry shooting and stalking and seems, yes, to include legal expenses insurance. 

Edited by enfieldspares

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Certainly going to make me think about continued membership.

If it COSTS £1 mill a year, what are they going to spend the saving on ?

Ive always stuck up for BASC , but its beginning to make me wonder whether some of the things you hear are true, ie massive salaries ect.

I work in insurance and prices are going up massively - Particularly with regard to anything involving litigation, but even so, this is a suicidal move. If £13.50 goes on insurance, where is the rest of the money being spent???

On the back of their complete capitulation over lead, this is very poor 

CPSA have legal expenses as part of membership.

And BASC's saying "it's not fair to pay for cover that most members will never use" is as imbecilic an argument as saying that I'm paying, as part of my domestic insurance, for cover of my house being burned down. As that also is cover most people will never use. 

I didn't renew my membership. Since then I've not had any reasons to think it was a bad call.

Shooting is getting more complicated (especially with licencing), and more expensive in general. There also seems to be more legislation coming in. In fact, it seems to me that a lot of the time the Orgs are complicit with it! All this has happened under a Tory Govt too - imagine how many changes if a Govt really wanted to impose things.

They keep getting opportunities to prove themselves, but they keep on rolling over or putting the blame on others.

In their justification for non-renewal it says:

Q: In the years that the policy has been in place, has it made much difference?

A: Whereas there have been some individual successes the police have maintained gross inconsistency, indeed in some cases it seems to have been worse.

---

Yes that sounds about right to me... an acknowledgement that the present situation is terrible, but at the same time an acceptance of it. The voice of shooting... seems fairly inaudible to me.

As I said, it was that attitude of ‘well what would you like us to do about it?’ closely followed up with another, this time an admission of ‘ there’s absolutely nothing we can do about it’, which was the final straw with BASC. It has to be asked, what are they doing with all that money, and what are members getting for their money? 
Throughout my shooting life I have always been extremely keen to support our shooting orgs and always felt proud that I was doing my bit by funding various orgs, but I no longer feel they are doing THEIR bit.
The NGO have had all the money they’re going to get off me also. 
I may be wrong but I seriously get a growing impression that BASC in particular are becoming ( or have aims to be ) nothing more than some kind of elite gentlemen’s club, but funded by the working classes. 
It’s a shame really, as I think we’ll all be the worse off without them, but they seem to be totally ineffective, and quite blasé about how their membership feels, and this applies to all of them, not just BASC. 

Maybe they will reduce the membership fees and offer legal cover as a separate policy? The main reason I took up BASC membership was for the insurance in case i ever needed it.

That said I have just bought a new truck using their discount scheme and saved 8.5K so its not all bad

The full text of the BASC briefing on this topic is as follows:

BASC acts in the best interests of its members and shooting. With regards to the legal expense’s insurance only around 150 (1 in 1000) members a year make a claim, and of those only around a half (1 in 2000 members) have their cases taken up. Yet the legal expenses policy costs almost £1 million. The cost of this insurance continues to rise rapidly each year, whilst at the same time stricter conditions and exclusions are being added to the policy.

The legal expenses insurance policy is no longer providing a product which is in the best interests of members. As a result, BASC Council has decided to remove it from the membership package from July 31, 2020.

We have not taken this decision lightly.

The decision does not affect the membership liability or personal accident insurances which includes:

• up to £10 million Public Liability Cover
  • up to £10 million Employer Liability Cover
  • up to £10 million Product Liability Cover
  • up to £50,000 cover for personal accidents resulting in the loss of sight, hearing, or limbs

Our firearms teams will still be on hand to provide advice and guidance to all members on firearms and licencing matters. Our public liability and personal accident insurances are unaffected and remain in place.

BASC’s resources are managed by Council so that we can continue to fight for shooting and benefit members.

Legal expenses insurance Q&A

Q: When will he cover end?

A: This insurance cover will cease on 31st July 2020.

Q: Why is BASC making this change?

A: The cost of paying for this type of insurance is increasing at an astronomic level, it’s not fair that all members should be paying for a cover that most members will never use, that is not in the best interests of our members and is potentially against the Financial Conduct Authority rules.

Q: Will this decrease the cost of membership?

A: No, the cost of providing insurances as part of the membership package is approximately £13.50. The cost varies each month depending on the size of the membership and of course at renewal when the annual premium is calculated. The rest of the membership subscriptions goes to the running of the Association and all the additional activities we undertake like judicial reviews for example. Partial refunds will also not be given for the reason stated above.

Q: In the years that the policy has been in place, has it made much difference?

A: Whereas there have been some individual successes the police have maintained gross inconsistency, indeed in some cases it seems to have been worse.

Q: Will I still get help from the BASC Firearms team with issues I may have with the possession and use of firearms?

A: Yes, absolutely, the firearms team within BASC are a unique member benefit and will now be able to focus even more on direct assistance of members.

Q: What are the BASC firearms team going to do to help?

A: The BASC firearms team will continue to operate at a strategic level lobbying the Policing minister, Home Office, and liaising with National Police Chiefs Council Firearms and Explosives Licensing Working Group to represent shooters interests and strive for a fair and consistent licensing system.

Q: The cost of insurance is advertised as £13.50 yet we are saying that it is too expensive why is that?

A: £13.50 is an approximate cost of the insurance element and it varies from month to month and year to year depending on the number of members and the cost of renewing the policies. The significant increase in the cost of the LEI would increase the approximate cost greatly and impact our financial resources to enable us to provide all our current services.

The BASC firearms experts are on hand to give direct help, support and advice to individual members on specific firearms licencing and possession issues.

5 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

one of the reasons i joined was fot the legal cover, i just joined again in june andits now going end of july.thanks

Same here. Renewed in June after giving it much thought and legal cover swayed it. I won't renew again.

The sudden U-turn on steel shot and following propaganda stuck in my throat. This has made my mind up.

Where's the million pound saving going to be spent? Making up the financial shortfall in lost subscriptions would be my guess. It saddens me to leave BASC after decades of membership.

WR.

No mention of it in the email newsletter from 2 days ago. 

I'm on direct debit for my membership, unless they rethink this in the next couple of weeks, it's getting cancelled and I'll go with C3. 

This is a very bad move from BASC.