BASC to cease legal expenses cover wef 31 July 2020

15 minutes ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

I wonder what percentage of their membership are people like myself who exclusively shoot clay targets and joined BASC for their insurance and legal cover?

It would be interesting to see how much their membership drops by. A lot would be my guess as almost everyone I know who is a member is so purely for the insurance, and not too bothered about the rest.

I'll be cancelling and looking at joining CPSA instead.

I'm in this sort of area.  I am a member of both BASC and CPSA, the key difference between them was the insurance and the support of general shooting.  Guess I need to go away and have a long hard think.  Currently I only shoot clays (not too well).

Edited by akey

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, stagboy said:

They already have, in effect. The annual sub has been frozen. Any other orgs doing the same? 

So they haven't then, frozen but not dropped. Ngo price was £45 in 2018 and according to their site it still is.

2018 price

https://www.nationalgamekeepers.org.uk/articles/modest-rise-in-ngo-subscription-rate-for-2018

2020 price

https://www.nationalgamekeepers.org.uk/join-online#JOL.SELECTOR

Edited by Luckyshot

BASC is regulated and authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority.

This is hugely good news for those members seeking a part refund. The FCA has rules on how a complaint is handled.

I have worked in an industry also governed by the FCA. If aggrieved you will need to make a complaint to BASC and ask for "redress" not only for any actual loss of what you thought your contract was for but also for inconvenience. Ask BASC to make you a cash offer. If they refuse then ask that your complaint be escalated. For...this is key...regardless of whether your complaint is upheld internally by the company this...if a company that is governed by the FCA fails to resolve a complaint that you "accept the resolution" it must then allow you to refer it to the FCA. At which point the company (not you) has to pay the FCA a £500 fee for the FCA having to intervene. This is why so many companies in fact settle as it is cheaper for them to do so rather than pay that £500. 

I used to be a huge believer in BASC. It is disappointing to now have turned against them. But then who is that the fault of? 

Here are some links. The topmost may be a useful starting point. The other is in more general terms:

https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/unfair-contracts/report

https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/how-complain

Edited by enfieldspares

3 hours ago, akey said:

I'm in this sort of area.  I am a member of both BASC and CPSA, the key difference between them was the insurance and the support of general shooting.  Guess I need to go away and have a long hard think.  Currently I only shoot clays (not too well).

Just looked at CPSA insureance and it says, Legal expenses insurance for shotgun certificate revocation and renewal issues (excluding colts and clubman)

I would suggest that anybody who paid for a year should ask for a refund for the whole fee depending on how many months you have left of membership - not just a refund of the insurance element. To my mind, if you joined under a belief that insurance was covered, once such cover has ceased the BASC have broken the terms of the contract - I would ask for a complete, proportionate refund.

the biggest reason everyone joined was for the insurance everything else that came with it was a bonus. I think this is a very stupid move from basc because I for one am in a wildfowling club and the key thing is insurance so it looks like 120 or so members will be moving on nobody likes paying insurance cars property etc but then nobody goes out to have rta or even shoot somebody or thing I for one won't be paying 70 quid for 6 magazines 

Think this will be my last renewal I  think . After the debacle lead ban. The general  license saga. Then calling during lockdown calling for some clarification on a job at a commercial chicken units. To be told that they can't give me a yes or no answer. Maybe I was confused but I thought part of the package was legal advice aswell???

I have had great respect for basc but they certainly don't seem to be the same organisation they were 

Bearing in mind I am an engineer and not a lawyer...is what they have done actually legal/allowed?

i know that if for example part of my contract with a company was to ."service machines and attend to repair faults as required,'. And I decided  (without asking the client) that I wouldn't be servicing  their main machine any more there would be a bit of grief heading my way

1 hour ago, blankfirer said:

the biggest reason everyone joined was for the insurance everything else that came with it was a bonus. I think this is a very stupid move from basc because I for one am in a wildfowling club and the key thing is insurance so it looks like 120 or so members will be moving on nobody likes paying insurance cars property etc but then nobody goes out to have rta or even shoot somebody or thing I for one won't be paying 70 quid for 6 magazines 

This. 

Subs frozen?

Whilst the finer points of financial reckoning are lost on me it doesn't look that way.

On the basis you're paying the same for less it looks more like an approx 20% price increase, more if you're quite old or young.

Bit like wagon wheels theory ...and hope you don't notice!

13 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

If you are a BASC member and have any queries or feedback about BASC's notice regarding legal expenses insurance please email me at conor.ogorman@basc.org.uk with your membership number and I will ensure that someone gets back to you. 

Maybe a root and branch restructuring is called for. A cull of staff and cutting of expenses. When an organisation has lost its way drastic measures are required.

16 hours ago, grahamch said:

What a cop out, guess l will look elsewhere or give up fowling as basc membership is mandatory in the club 

Seriously? BASC insurance is very wide ranging, and first resort, unlike cheaper ones, which will demand to see all your other policies (household, etc) before taking the matter on in the event of a claim. I can't remember when  exactly when the legal expenses insurance bit  was added, but it was  not that long ago. CA, NGO have never had it.  

Apparently the BASC legal insurance policy was  hardly ever used and cost £1 million a year. I reckon that sum could be put to better use for the majority of members.

5 hours ago, blankfirer said:

The  main insurance policy isn't affected, and is just as comprehensive as it always was - and first resort, too, unlike most of the other orgs, which tend to be last resort cheapos. Only the legal expenses add-on is going - something no other fieldsports org offers anyway.  

On 02/07/2020 at 17:48, bruno22rf said:

CCC....£100,000 legal expenses cover, pretty sure it covers you for ALL country pursuits as well, even walking your Dog.

Yea I checked once and it does. Out of interest I asked if walking my dog and he leaps over the hedge and causes damage to sheep would I be covered. The lady said yes. Obviously not as cut and dried as that but it is good value 33 quid last year

12 mil public liabilty

10,000 personal accident

100,000 legal

and there is a few more as well.

Bargain

3 hours ago, stagboy said:

Seriously? BASC insurance is very wide ranging, and first resort, unlike cheaper ones, which will demand to see all your other policies (household, etc) before taking the matter on in the event of a claim. I can't remember when  exactly when the legal expenses insurance bit  was added, but it was  not that long ago. CA, NGO have never had it.  

Apparently the BASC legal insurance policy was  hardly ever used and cost £1 million a year. I reckon that sum could be put to better use for the majority of members.

like what and would they spend it or stash it away for that rainy day i keep hearing about