BASC to cease legal expenses cover wef 31 July 2020

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

I am surprised by how many people want an organisation that fights for shooting but at the drop of a hat one that doesn't is good enough.  if all you want is insurance you should have left long ago... just done pretend you care about the future of shooting.

If there is no BASC trust me, there will be no shooting 

let that resonate for a while...

Oops  now you,ve done it............ this could easily go another 7 pages of vitriol and hate.

I just spent an hour reading through the Basc  website must say i am very impressed with what they do ,  think i might join up ,i always refuse the legal expenses add ons with insurance anyway .

BASC called me  today about my concern's about withdrawing the insurance at the end of the month. Angela explained that due to the massive cost underwriters who do not want to take this on unless we pay a vast sum for our cover and BASC had no other choice. When I asked why was we given so short notice this is due to  circumstance beyond there control and the extra cost  during our conversation i asked  Angela about members having problem;s in obtaining there licence. Angela said BASC firearms team will still be there to help us members with there applications.I did ask for this information could be shown on P/W for members to view. Please do not shoot me i am only a concerned member trying to help

13 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

BASC called me  today about my concern's about withdrawing the insurance at the end of the month. Angela explained that due to the massive cost underwriters who do not want to take this on unless we pay a vast sum for our cover and BASC had no other choice. When I asked why was we given so short notice this is due to  circumstance beyond there control and the extra cost  during our conversation i asked  Angela about members having problem;s in obtaining there licence. Angela said BASC firearms team will still be there to help us members with there applications.I did ask for this information could be shown on P/W for members to view. Please do not shoot me i am only a concerned member trying to help

All of this is explained on there website for those that can read or can be bothered to look ,i have just done it all pretty easy to understand,  good on you for contacting them direct then posting back thankyou.

32 minutes ago, holloway said:

I am staggered by how many on this thread seem to be members of an association that they absolutely dispise ! why on earth DID anyone join in the first place ? 

My main reason for joining BASC was for the legal representation in the event of losing my ticket for some unfair reason... such as having to seek my doctors approval to carry a firearm on private property: or being restricted by a wrong decision of an FEO - which would have been my next port of call if an experienced sporting shooter FEO had not corrected some bad land clearance decisions by a trainee FEO who told me he disapproves of civilian shooters.

1 hour ago, holloway said:

I am staggered by how many on this thread seem to be members of an association that they absolutely dispise ! why on earth DID anyone join in the first place ? 

don’t laugh but most believed they were joining a organisation that could fight for shooting not some toothless old dog whose only teeth is a stern letter 

1 hour ago, holloway said:

I was young and naive, he was older, more experienced than I , I was putty in Mr BASCs hands, inevitably , when he had his fill of me , he cast me aside....Im stronger now ...but Ill never forget his big fat legal team, and his impressive training modules.....

1 hour ago, Terry2016 said:

I am surprised by how many people want an organisation that fights for shooting but at the drop of a hat one that doesn't is good enough.  if all you want is insurance you should have left long ago... just done pretend you care about the future of shooting.

let that resonate for a while...

Well Ill say one thing to that.
If the future of shooting depends on BASC , Id sell your guns now while theyre still worth something.
Absolute twaddle, the future of shooting depends on people who shoot, the more who do , the more who get into it , the stronger the position becomes.
BASC are good at projecting a big corporate boys club, that makes big expensive noises, then bends over and gives up.
And you know why ?
Because it impacts their profits.

If we lose private gun ownership , it will be because WE let it happen , not BASC , they will do fine, because they will be one of the few 'trusted' organisations who will be able to continue offering shooting experiences, at hefty prices.

Its all about the money.

That's OK by me. I only joined for the money off the dealer price of a new 4x4 that I can't afford. But at least now it's a slightly cheaper cost that I (still) can't afford. For as another said and I've cut and pasted below if the future of shooting depends on BASC you'd best sell your guns now.

If the future of shooting depends on BASC , Id sell your guns now while theyre still worth something.
Absolute twaddle, the future of shooting depends on people who shoot, the more who do , the more who get into it , the stronger the position becomes.
BASC are good at projecting a big corporate boys club, that makes big expensive noises, then bends over and gives up.

If we lose private gun ownership , it will be because WE let it happen , not BASC , they will do fine, because they will be one of the few 'trusted' organisations who will be able to continue offering shooting experiences, at hefty prices.

This. +1.

But you can pretty well bet that the few shooting experiences they'll still continue to offer will be that day on the pheasants at Catton Hall for MPs. 

Edited by enfieldspares

BASC came into being in 1981. Since 1981 shooting has seen:

Centrefire self-loading and pump action rifles raised to s5. With compensation payable to owners of but 50% of the market value and no compensation for dedicated accessories.

Repeating shotguns with a magazine capacity over two rounds raised to s1. With the owner having to pay from their own pocket the cost of having these restricted and Proof House certified to two shots.

Detachable magazine shotguns....the Marlin Goose Gun and notwithstanding that magazine holds only two shots....raised to s1. Or the owner having to pay from their own pocket the cost of having that magazine welded in place and Proof House certified to keep it on a s2 SGC.

All centrefire and rimfire pistols and revolvers raised to s5. With no compensation to the owners of ranges where these were used if, as a direct result, those ranges went out of business.

The requirement for two referees on an FAC or SGC.

Air weapons onto an FAC in Scotland with (unless I am wrong) casual back garden plinking not acceptable as a "good reason" to posses. Yet the "B" in BASC surely stands for "British" and last time I looked at a map Scotland was part of Britain.

A ban of air weapons being sent direct from an RFD to a private buyer. All such must now be face-to-face. Even regardless of if the purchaser of that airgun was by virtue of holding an FAC or SGC of "fit and good character" residing at a verifiable address.

Brocock cartridge system air weapons (even the Brockcock Lee Enfield No4) raised to s5. With the owner then if it was surrendered , or at a future time when they gave up their non-transferable ownership, of his or hers heirs on their death receiving no compensation for the weapon.

If that's the record of BASC as being the "voice of shooting" in the past then "if the future" of what's left also depends on BASC then Heaven help us!

Edited by enfieldspares

3 hours ago, holloway said:

Oops  now you,ve done it............ this could easily go another 7 pages of vitriol and hate.

I just spent an hour reading through the Basc  website must say i am very impressed with what they do ,  think i might join up ,i always refuse the legal expenses add ons with insurance anyway .

This ...

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I was young and naive, he was older, more experienced than I , I was putty in Mr BASCs hands, inevitably , when he had his fill of me , he cast me aside....Im stronger now ...but Ill never forget his big fat legal team, and his impressive training modules.....

And you know why ?

Its all about the money.

You misunderstand my point -  BASC are the ones fighting the challenges because they have the funds and the staff resource 

without that DEFRA will role over at the claims of WJ as shooting is a minority sport..

And just like that no shooting.. 

Edited by Terry2016

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

That's OK by me. I only joined for the money off the dealer price of a new 4x4 that I can't afford. But at least now it's a slightly cheaper cost that I (still) can't afford. For as another said and I've cut and pasted below if the future of shooting depends on BASC you'd best sell your guns now.

This. +1.

But you can pretty well bet that the few shooting experiences they'll still continue to offer will be that day on the pheasants at Catton Hall for MPs. 

Four is it five BASC deerstalking schemes?   Dozens of wildfowling clubs offering shooting through the BASC day ticket scheme . Zero pheasant shoots available directly through BASC schemes. 

4 minutes ago, clangerman said:

let’s not forget there is more than one villain here if any of the shooting organisations claims of putting members and shooting first was true they would merge into one organisation to give us half a chance of surviving 

you are better off with 10 seats at a table than one when influencing decisions... 

Edited by Terry2016

You will,  you fail to see all the good these organisations do.  you focus on the bad and that will divide the shooting community and make us all a lot worse off for it. 

Shooting is under attack it is no longer the norm therefore representation is crucial not only at challenging campaigns but at educating the wider audience. 

The shooting orgs do that very well... that is what keeps us afloat.. 

this is not the time to stop bailing.

have you read the comments on here? shooters are not stupid they know hot air when they hear it if ANY of the organisations have done such a good job why are we fighting to survive and don’t blame the anti nuts our own side is sinking us without their help 

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

And you know why ?

Its all about the money.

:lol: What  was that a bowel movement, get a grip man.

Just now, clangerman said:

have you read the comments on here? shooters are not stupid they know hot air when they hear it if ANY of the organisations have done such a good job why are we fighting to survive and don’t blame the anti nuts our own side is sinking us without their help 

An idea it might help you here. Go away find a quiet place or go somewhere tranquil with your dog/ dogs or some such. sit down quietly and be  logical about the state shooting is in in the UK today.

Be logical about BASC , and what its influence is , and Be logical about BASC and what possible gain it could ever make from destroying the very sport its there to support and conserve etc.

There is no ryme nor reason to what your implying here. NONE!.

Be logical.

6 minutes ago, clangerman said:

I have read them, people are not happy that the LEI cover has been removed ( fair enough ) although it doesn't bother me if i want legal cover I will go and get it..

funny if all the orgs are so bad how come they are still going ?  its because to the majority of shooters care about promotion of shooting not just insurance....

its clear that you are anti shooting orgs - its clear that i am pro them. we will never agree.  however your way shooting will end a lot quicker 

8 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I have - your post is laughable.

I can live with that