Not being furlough has its drawbacks.

washerboy

26 minutes ago, ordnance said:

Pointless talking about it, not going to happen. They would need to have made that clear when they brought the furlough scheme in, trying to do it after would be politically and legally a nonstarter IMO.

Are you on furlough. 

There are many cases where the government/tax man has changed things retrospectively. Google Montpelier - you may not agree with what you see but what was happening was totally legal (I for one chose to avoid this route when I could have took it) - but people went to bed being legal - then woke up having been breaking the tax laws for 6 years!!!

In regards to the Furlough - no I am not on Furlough - however if I had have been and something like the above was part of the requirements of getting it I wouldn't have minded. Better that than JSA etc..and possibly loosing everything. My wife lost all her income and was entitled to nothing. Now you should speak to her about furlough - but only if you are wearing a helmet and ear protection :D

I saw something yesterday where one company had people on Furlough that have gone back to Italy - and apparently have decided not to return - guess what - they are still getting their furlough payments!!!

Edited by discobob

14 minutes ago, discobob said:

I saw something yesterday where one company had people on Furlough that have gone back to Italy - and apparently have decided not to return - guess what - they are still getting their furlough payments!!!

Then the company is stupid for continuing to pay them. 

i've been working full time but just had to sign a temporary 18 month contract that will see my hours and pay reduced initially by 5% but depending on orders could go down to 80%. At 5% i can just manage any lower and it gets very dificult, hopefully it won't come to that.

26 minutes ago, discobob said:

They said that there is nothing they can do about it!! Don't know how true that is but it wouldn't surprise me

That’s rubbish. The company pays them, not the government. The government give the money to the company not the individual. 

2 hours ago, discobob said:

There are many cases where the government/tax man has changed things retrospectively. Google Montpelier - you may not agree with what you see but what was happening was totally legal (I for one chose to avoid this route when I could have took it) - but people went to bed being legal - then woke up having been breaking the tax laws for 6 years!!!

In regards to the Furlough - no I am not on Furlough - however if I had have been and something like the above was part of the requirements of getting it I wouldn't have minded. Better that than JSA etc..and possibly loosing everything. My wife lost all her income and was entitled to nothing. Now you should speak to her about furlough - but only if you are wearing a helmet and ear protection

As i said it will be payed for, everyone's taxes will probably increase, they will not single out people on furlough like it or not.  It was not asked for, the government brought it in voluntary and encouraged companies to furlough people. Also they instructed  vulnerable people not to work and to stay in the house, you think they are then going to turn around and say you have to pay back furlough money,  just not going to happen.

I've had it all where I work. I was amongst the first 5 back in after 3 days off (the boss paid us for those days as it was an enforced shutdown). Since then, we have all had to sign new contracts, that's both the workers and the furloughed. The returned have been divided into split shifts (6-2:30 and 4:30-12), there's no overtime, no weekend work, social distancing makes everything more awkward, and management have started introducing ever more stringent 'company procedures' and working practices.

There will be no bonus and no cost of living rise this year. But the worst thing is our customers have all started to ramp up demand for products, while we are now operating with 50% of the workforce. Deadlines haven't changed, despite all the effects of the virus and as things stand, there will be no significant return of the furloughed staff until at least the end of August, due to the stringent demands of the HSE. 

Management insist we 'become more efficient' (like we are all currently swinging the lead...) and we are now entering the busiest time of the year for us, yet we are still expected to meet all targets. 

I'm a charge hand, and my team are a good bunch. Morale has been pretty good since we have returned, but it's rapidly going downhill as the reality dawns that we face an impossible task to please all our customers. Management have their heads in the sand, obsessing about staff virus briefings and the new company policy on tea breaks. One of the better ones has privately admitted to me and the other team leaders that redundancies are inevitable, and the longer they dither, the worse it could be. 

I feel your pain. 

1 hour ago, adzyvilla said:

The returned have been divided into split shifts (6-2:30 and 4:30-12), there's no overtime, no weekend work, social distancing makes everything more awkward, and management have started introducing ever more stringent 'company procedures' and working practices.

This is why my place are going on a 6 day week, and adding night shift in some places, it gets more people back in and working while keeping the numbers down on each shift, with no cross over of shifts.

Working 3 on 4 off and 4 nights.

How a company thinks they can deliver 100% with fewer staff I have no idea.

2 hours ago, adzyvilla said:

I've had it all where I work. I was amongst the first 5 back in after 3 days off (the boss paid us for those days as it was an enforced shutdown). Since then, we have all had to sign new contracts, that's both the workers and the furloughed. The returned have been divided into split shifts (6-2:30 and 4:30-12), there's no overtime, no weekend work, social distancing makes everything more awkward, and management have started introducing ever more stringent 'company procedures' and working practices.

There will be no bonus and no cost of living rise this year. But the worst thing is our customers have all started to ramp up demand for products, while we are now operating with 50% of the workforce. Deadlines haven't changed, despite all the effects of the virus and as things stand, there will be no significant return of the furloughed staff until at least the end of August, due to the stringent demands of the HSE. 

Management insist we 'become more efficient' (like we are all currently swinging the lead...) and we are now entering the busiest time of the year for us, yet we are still expected to meet all targets. 

I'm a charge hand, and my team are a good bunch. Morale has been pretty good since we have returned, but it's rapidly going downhill as the reality dawns that we face an impossible task to please all our customers. Management have their heads in the sand, obsessing about staff virus briefings and the new company policy on tea breaks. One of the better ones has privately admitted to me and the other team leaders that redundancies are inevitable, and the longer they dither, the worse it could be. 

I feel your pain. 

Yes, we aren't flat out busy but every job we get the orders for they want the next day as a breakdown job. Hard work when there are only 2 working instead of 6. 

See what the next few months bring. We Shan't get our Xmas bonus or January pay rise that's for sure 

23 hours ago, Scully said:

Yeah, not easy. I have a mate whose work colleagues were furloughed due to health issues, whereas he still worked throughout, but for the same money. 
Another has just gone back to work along with the rest of the workforce, and has now been told that there may well be redundancies. 
It’s going to take some time to get back to anything resembling normal.

Nice avatar

Reading this thread I cant believe how many bitter people there are out there.

People who have continued to work should just be greatful they still have employment, there are many who haven't, there's a thread on here from someone made redundant. Those who were furloughed have had no choice in it, suggesting they should solely pay for the scheme is ridiculous. I don't see why so many people are always looking at what everyone else is doing instead of focusing on their own fortunes.

And before anyone starts I haven't missed a day since this crisis started and have worked extra to cover gaps for vulnerable people who have shielded.