FAC for bullet (heads)

Just enquired at a local shop about some 53g Vmax bullets, they  dont have them, but weve got some other stuff that might suit ?

So , can I come and have a look ? I said.
Not really , we get them ready for you and you come and collect them...
OK , Ill try some 52g A max...

No problem , bring your FAC...

Excuse me ? Ive bought bullets off you before , never needed my ticket, powder and primers I understand but...
No ticket , no bullets.
Fair enough then I wont bother...

Ordered them from another shop, free delivery, cheaper , and the bullets I wanted.
What annoys me, is the shop in question, I spend decent money in, was telling me they were 'skint' due to covid , and needed as much business as possible.
Then they put barriers in place that stop that from happening ?

42 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Some shops are like that I’m afraid. I’ve shot with a guy from one shop several times and he still insists on seeing my SGC for cartridges. I honestly don’t mind but can understand that it’s inconvenient. 

But that’s the law isn’t it regarding Cartridges? 

16 minutes ago, AVB said:

But that’s the law isn’t it regarding Cartridges? 

Yes.

12 minutes ago, four-wheel-drive said:

Jobsworth type person I think

When I challenged him , he shouted across the shop to check , and no, you need your FAC.
If Id turned up,(without ticket)  after taking an hour off work to go and fetch them, I would not have been happy.

I deliberately didnt bother picking my ticket up this morning, because I knew I shouldnt need it.

There was a shop that wouldn't sell me 158grn .38 FMJ bullets unless I sent a photocopy of my FAC. I understood their predicament, they were being told to by their local licencing dept so its not always the shops fault.

Same as my friend has a muzzle loading pistol that uses shotgun primers but a shop would not sell him shotgun primers because he only had a FAC. 

Edited by Vince Green

19 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Some shops are like that I’m afraid. I’ve shot with a guy from one shop several times and he still insists on seeing my SGC for cartridges. I honestly don’t mind but can understand that it’s inconvenient. 

I've been going the the farmers shop where I buy cartridges a lot longer than I've had a sec, I know the manager well and the lad that sorts the gun stuff out knows what I have, I always have to show my licence. I suppose they don't know when it expires so need to check.

I have been think about this thread since reading it, have the rules changed re expanding ammuntion?

At one time you needed a seperate authority to acquire & hold expanding bullet heads for reloading even if you had authority to acquire & hold full rounds.

A RFD would need to see your FAC to make sure you have that authority so he does not break the law.

MM

1 minute ago, Mr. Merkel said:

I have been think about this thread since reading it, have the rules changed re expanding ammuntion?

At one time you needed a seperate authority to acquire & hold expanding bullet heads for reloading even if you had authority to acquire & hold full rounds.

A RFD would need to see your FAC to make sure you have that authority so he does not break the law.

MM

Yes it changed a few years ago, no restrictions on expanding ammo. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Merkel said:

MM

You can buy expanding bullets without FAC which was an unusual and intelligent change to the rules. After all expanding or otherwise they're lumps of metal and unless loaded up into a cartridge the worse they can do is be thrown at you or maybe fired out of a catapult. Peculiarly you need a sgc to buy shotgun cartridges but you don't need one to possess shotgun cartridges. 

2 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

You can buy expanding bullets without FAC which was an unusual and intelligent change to the rules. After all expanding or otherwise they're lumps of metal and unless loaded up into a cartridge the worse they can do is be thrown at you or maybe fired out of a catapult. Peculiarly you need a sgc to buy shotgun cartridges but you don't need one to possess shotgun cartridges. 

Thanks for that, I have not held a FAC since the 1900s at that time expanding ammo was prohibited under S5 Firearms Act with certain excuses Deer stalking protection of crops ect. It prevented overseas hunters zeroing rifles with expanding ammo for Africa and other countries, as I mentioned earlier its now a move in the right direction. I also could not understand the thinking behind shotgun shell purchases.

MM

Many areas have told rfd to have sight of a relivent certificate before selling all sorts of components.    Let's be fair first serious incident publicised of a nutter or terrorist (not sure if theres much separation in those two actually? ) using a home made firearm and component ammo legally and its going to hit the fan again , is it such a bad thing on that account ? 

I always have me certs available now , worst case is I walk to the truck parked outside . 

1 minute ago, Bowlander said:

before selling all sorts of components.

You mean like powder and primers, which everyone expects and accepts ?

The easiest component to make , with very few special tools, is the projectile, I suppose youll need your FAC next to buy paper targets, to test your illegal cartridges on ?

I wouldnt have minded so much , but the same shop told me a couple of months back , that she wouldnt write bullet (heads) on my ticket (after I enquired , for record purposes) because it would set a PRECEDENT .
Now she has set her own precedent for requiring sight of ticket for a item that doesnt require it ?

Its not a problem, Ive found a new shop to buy my reloading stuff from now, they can have my business.

On 03/07/2020 at 14:35, Rewulf said:

Just enquired at a local shop about some 53g Vmax bullets, they  dont have them, but weve got some other stuff that might suit ?

So , can I come and have a look ? I said.
Not really , we get them ready for you and you come and collect them...
OK , Ill try some 52g A max...

No problem , bring your FAC...

Excuse me ? Ive bought bullets off you before , never needed my ticket, powder and primers I understand but...
No ticket , no bullets.
Fair enough then I wont bother...

Ordered them from another shop, free delivery, cheaper , and the bullets I wanted.
What annoys me, is the shop in question, I spend decent money in, was telling me they were 'skint' due to covid , and needed as much business as possible.
Then they put barriers in place that stop that from happening ?

Really? Throwing your handbag out of the window because your asked for sight of your licence?  I am very happy to show mine, worked hard for it and it puts a smile of satisfaction on my face when I’m asked for it. 
I really don’t understand the volatile and argumentative nature of some people on here!!! Totally bizarre behaviour!!

1 hour ago, turbo33 said:

I really don’t understand the volatile and argumentative nature of some people on here!!! Totally bizarre behaviour!!

Id take a look in the mirror , no one threw their handbag anywhere.
If every shop asked for your ticket for bullets, then everyone would know they needed it for bullets !

And if you get a smile on your face every time someone asks for your ticket, you either need to get out more, or go and have a chat with someone about it :lol:

20 hours ago, Bowlander said:

Many areas have told rfd to have sight of a relivent certificate before selling all sorts of components.    Let's be fair first serious incident publicised of a nutter or terrorist (not sure if theres much separation in those two actually? ) using a home made firearm and component ammo legally and its going to hit the fan again , is it such a bad thing on that account ? 

I always have me certs available now , worst case is I walk to the truck parked outside . 

Exactly😄

20 hours ago, Rewulf said:

You mean like powder and primers, which everyone expects and accepts ?

The easiest component to make , with very few special tools, is the projectile, I suppose youll need your FAC next to buy paper targets, to test your illegal cartridges on ?

I wouldnt have minded so much , but the same shop told me a couple of months back , that she wouldnt write bullet (heads) on my ticket (after I enquired , for record purposes) because it would set a PRECEDENT .
Now she has set her own precedent for requiring sight of ticket for a item that doesnt require it ?

Its not a problem, Ive found a new shop to buy my reloading stuff from now, they can have my business.

The RFD if politely asked by the firearms team to do something will generally accept what they " Suggest " you see there are many reasons for this but I suppose if something hits the fan one day they could not be blamed.  An rfd walks a fine line of cooperation and liability.  

Do I think it right ? No but would I also do it if I took up as an rfd ?yeah 

43 minutes ago, Bowlander said:

The RFD if politely asked by the firearms team to do something will generally accept what they " Suggest " you see there are many reasons for this but I suppose if something hits the fan one day they could not be blamed.  An rfd walks a fine line of cooperation and liability.  

Do I think it right ? No but would I also do it if I took up as an rfd ?yeah 

So when I went to another shop in the same force area and bought them without being asked for my ticket ?
The firearms team havnt asked for FAC to be shown at all, some jobsworth has decided to set their own rules up for their shop, thats fine, Ive set MY own rules up for that shop now.
Dont shop there.

33 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I wonder if there is an organisation that could stand up for shooter's rights :hmm:

Indeed, but like I said, Firearms havnt asked for this, its like asking for a fishing licence to buy bait or reels.
You dont need any licence to walk into a shop and buy crossbows or bolts/arrows for it, but youre asked for an FAC to buy some bits of lead ?

Then someone says what if nutters get hold of those bits of lead ?:w00t:

21 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Id take a look in the mirror , no one threw their handbag anywhere.
If every shop asked for your ticket for bullets, then everyone would know they needed it for bullets !

And if you get a smile on your face every time someone asks for your ticket, you either need to get out more, or go and have a chat with someone about it :lol:

Can’t you see the aggressive reply here? Still unable to be reasonable! Read your op. The shop politely asked you to bring your FAC. Mine asks for it for any components.  You threw a strop, and went elsewhere. Would I miss a customer with a rude attitude like that? Absolutely not, I’d be thrilled you took your business elsewhere. Earning a living and running a business is hard enough, and as your previous shop confirmed, especially  during these extraordinary  times. 
Maybe you should have a chat with someone. 

5 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

Can’t you see the aggressive reply here? Still unable to be reasonable! Read your op. The shop politely asked you to bring your FAC. Mine asks for it for any components.  You threw a strop, and went elsewhere. Would I miss a customer with a rude attitude like that? Absolutely not, I’d be thrilled you took your business elsewhere. Earning a living and running a business is hard enough, and as your previous shop confirmed, especially  during these extraordinary  times. 
Maybe you should have a chat with someone. 

If you think thats aggressive you must have lead a very sheltered life...

The shop had never asked for FAC for bullets before, and if YOU read the OP , I said that , plus they know me , I used to spend good money there.
So when I queried it , I got a very firm ~(and rude) No ticket , no bullets.
Theyve lost my custom, that is all , no need to get your panties in a twist about it, Im sure they wont go bust, and hopefully you wont lose any sleep about it tonight.

I take it you never take offence at the way some people speak to you ? :lol:

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

If you think thats aggressive you must have lead a very sheltered life...

The shop had never asked for FAC for bullets before, and if YOU read the OP , I said that , plus they know me , I used to spend good money there.
So when I queried it , I got a very firm ~(and rude) No ticket , no bullets.
Theyve lost my custom, that is all , no need to get your panties in a twist about it, Im sure they wont go bust, and hopefully you wont lose any sleep about it tonight.

I take it you never take offence at the way some people speak to you ? 

You clearly have issues.....no weapons against a fool.......nothing more to add.