Gamebore Dark Storm Steel with Biowad

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, landofficer said:

Good news, but we’re gamebore not in with the other manufacturers saying it will take years to produce and loads of cash.

been preparing for steel with a bio wad for years 

Yes they was... they also already had a bio wad steel cartridge for sale in the uk .. called silver steel....

I hope these come in 7s  5s 4s and 3s lets see ....

47 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

They may pattern as well as lead dark storm but will they kill as well I doubt it as steel is to hard and too light. 

Steel kills fine, as a wildfowler I have been shooting steel for years and it kills.... 

if it can kill a goose it will kill a pigeon or a pheasant just put it in the right place.. 👍

23 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

At what range and what shot size and weight?

various, 

32g 5s 32g4s , 36g 3s 

For general pigeon shooting a 32g 5 will kill all day long. give them a try. 

if you look on you tube there are now so many videos of geoff garrod & Gerwyn jones shooting with steel on pigeons - no issues at all.

Edited by Terry2016

3 hours ago, landofficer said:

Good news, but we’re gamebore not in with the other manufacturers saying it will take years to produce and loads of cash.

been preparing for steel with a bio wad for years 

They said and denied saying things at that time. the fact is they have a product on offer now. others will do likewise .

1 hour ago, welshwarrior said:

They may pattern as well as lead dark storm but will they kill as well I doubt it as steel is to hard and too light. 

use it draw conclusions from that. Too many hung up on the specific gravity of steel compared to lead.

48 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

At what range and what shot size and weight?

Steel has come on in leaps and bounds this past 40 years, but here it is back then doing it and without the benefit of tight steel developed choke tubes.

If a Hunter is not killing with steel then or now its down to the hunter not  steel.

Guest cookoff013
11 hours ago, kenholland said:

maybe I might say that, once I have got through 6000 grand italia plus 1000 hulls sporting plus 1000 of this , and 1000 of that , so you see i'm ok for the moment.

I fired off more than 500 supersteels when they first came out

9 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Not found a load I’d shoot game with yet. Pigeons are closer and die easier. 

As a wildfowler, I do have loads that I would use on 'normal' game … with confidence.

I'm also fortunate enough to go on the odd shoot that have me reaching for much higher birds, and something like the Hull HPE 34g 4's.

Herein lies the two ends of the debate that haven't been covered by steel yet ….

At one end those with 2 1/2 game guns who have concerns on availability (which should be easily sorted in the next 4 years), and at the other end, those fortunate few who pump a huge amount into the 'system' on high and very high bird shoots … normal game steel loads will not create the kills are being made now.

There are Ioads that from performance on the shore 'would' drop a 65 yard pheasant, but they wouldn't go through my game gun.

The other option for the well funded is to have other non-tox loaded …. given some of their annual spends the %age increment wouldn't be too bad.

Guest cookoff013
10 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Steel has come on in leaps and bounds this past 40 years, but here it is back then doing it and without the benefit of tight steel developed choke tubes.

If a Hunter is not killing with steel then or now its down to the hunter not  steel.

I love that video. Although i woulnt load less than #2s in US steel sizes

40 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

I love that video. Although i woulnt load less than #2s in US steel sizes

Depends on the load specifics and your intended use. The chap SHELL BLOCH is clearly experienced with using steel. and i must say 40 years on i agree completely with him. Steel really did get off to a bad start over here in EUROPE, the CIP velocity thing and shot size/ choke recommendations etc . sent out misinformation fear and the totally wrong ideas about steel from the outset.

once we started choking steel full or preferably EXTRA EXTRA FULL it started working, and once we got more progressive powders and got familiar with the shot sizes needed for some ranges, the penny dropped and it went on from strength to strength.

I will never forget my first September the 1st with steel. I had a old 1100 Remington i had reamed out the full choke on, i was using Lyalevale express hunting steel in 32 gram 4s. and it was diabolical.  I remember sitting in the landrover about 630AM thinking is it time to pack up wildfowling, my 8s and my 4 were sold just prior to Non lead coming in. I had a full choked Ithaca mag ten supreme "thankfully i never attacked the chokes" i went on to reload steel with Lot 2 aliant steel & B&P M92S. and those first loads coupled with a personal message from and American waterfowler telling me to ignore the choke recomendations / shot size/ from CIP. The ithaca mag ten went on to kill many geese with steel. I bought a new Remington SP10 on the 7th of september from Hull cartridge. and had a .705 terror choke winging its way to me from the states two days Latter. The die was cast i took to steel like the metaphorical duck to water.

Edited by lancer425

2 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

As a wildfowler, I do have loads that I would use on 'normal' game … with confidence.

I'm also fortunate enough to go on the odd shoot that have me reaching for much higher birds, and something like the Hull HPE 34g 4's.

Herein lies the two ends of the debate that haven't been covered by steel yet ….

At one end those with 2 1/2 game guns who have concerns on availability (which should be easily sorted in the next 4 years), and at the other end, those fortunate few who pump a huge amount into the 'system' on high and very high bird shoots … normal game steel loads will not create the kills are being made now.

There are Ioads that from performance on the shore 'would' drop a 65 yard pheasant, but they wouldn't go through my game gun.

The other option for the well funded is to have other non-tox loaded …. given some of their annual spends the %age increment wouldn't be too bad.

Here in lies my issue I’m often at the 36g 3/4s and can’t see an option in steel and bismuth etc will see me out of the market.  

In the lower birds my 28 can’t shoot current steel options and I can see no improvement possible here with out going to 26/28g loads not something I’d like to do in an old gun.  

Then my son with a modern 28b will be on a 12/20b in 4 years but my daughter will be on a 410/28 what affordable options will she have?

Edited by welshwarrior