• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 04/07/2020 at 22:27, button said:

And you still know best like you did months ago

Think its best left where it was

Atb

What with no 90 yard patterns from the 90 yard pheasant shooters. Pray hazard a guess why that might be. ?   would so love to see a 90 yard LEAD pattern from a 12ga with 36 gram load. :lol: BRING IT ON!. 👓

7 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

would so love to see a 90 yard LEAD pattern from a 12ga with 36 gram load

I put a 'pattern' up in a previous thread … there isn't one, and that's not in dispute.

In you blind advocacy, you're not accepting the point that there's a lot of game currently shot in the 60-75 (ish) yard bracket where steel through game guns will be less effective than lead ….

13 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

And your scientific proof for this is published where?

because I feel ashamed to say I don’t think I could observe any difference in a like for like kill with 5% hard lead shot or 2% soft lead shot.

Pellet for pellet, there is little difference on impact (and certainly not noticible to the quarry) Where hard shot wins is in patterning, hard shot that resists chamber pressure deformation with margin to spare flies truer and patterns tighter and better distribution giving better kills.

Antimony Percentage Brinell Hardness Max PSI Bar Vickers Hardness
0 4 5000 345 4.2
0.25 5 5800 400 5.3
1 7 9000 621 7.4
2 8 10250 707 8.4
3 9.1 11600 800 9.6
4 10.1 12900 889 10.6
5 11 14130 974 11.6
6 11.8 15050 1038 12.4
12 15 19100 1317 15.8

14 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I put a 'pattern' up in a previous thread … there isn't one, and that's not in dispute.

In you blind advocacy, you're not accepting the point that there's a lot of game currently shot in the 60-75 (ish) yard bracket where steel through game guns will be less effective than lead ….

I would totally agree with this. It is difficult to make a case to the contrary. It would be nice if the high bird shooters that post here would admit that their 90 yarders are the exception to the norm.

Steel loads would have to be really fine tuned to be able to consistently shoot over 60 yards.

Thanks for your comments stonepark and motty, if I am reading the table correctly given most 12gauge loads run at around 640bar then 2% antimony is spot on and the harder shot is only a benefit to the the small gauge guns that run at the higher pressure or magnum 12gauge.

2 hours ago, motty said:

I would totally agree with this. It is difficult to make a case to the contrary. It would be nice if the high bird shooters that post here would admit that their 90 yarders are the exception to the norm.

Steel loads would have to be really fine tuned to be able to consistently shoot over 60 yards.

3 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

60 Ok. but hey i will drop 15 yards and settle for a 75 yard pattern in a heartbeat. . Fact is EXTREME is not so extreme at all.  So what next then. Is it no 75 yard pattern exists. ? I suspect that is the case, but Lets see ONE.

With Lead 12ga and 36 gram load a pattern at 75 yards again will look like HELL.  Steel will just about get the job done at 60 yards with some effort, but with good pattern its a long way for a 12ga and it will lose out to Lead on FTlbs but lead will fail in the pattern. so OK lead might have the edge at the 60 yard range. but in reality how many will be actually shooting at that range real yards.? Meawile we need a 75 yard pattern Lead 12ga 15 yards is a long way once your past 6o yards.