Stick tops

boo

Evening, I'm stuck at making anything at the moment after a bit of head surgery, so thought about things & ideas , drew up some patterns I usually use for stick tops , thought it be handy for others to use for ideas & sizes to try , going to ask sister to put on a file for me to post or just copy ! Thoughts ? Please , good or bad idea , cheers.....

20200703_184538.jpg

That sounds like a plan.......make a Market stick the first one 😂🤔

i made a start on the ALi/brass/copper joint the other day which didn't go as  well as anticipated. The brass to copper gluing was ok, the brass to ALi was interesting to say the least. The heat from the linisher broke the bond so,I ended up shoving a 6mm bolt through the middle. 

This one brings back some sad memories  😀 I got a big buffalo  horn cut a piece of . it was not as straight as I wanted it . Had it in a pan of boiling water for age's  stuck it in my 8 inch bench vice got it as tight by hand . Still not enough . Long pipe on vice handle .

Load crack the horn flew across the shed , first thought was it had just shot out of the vice

Errr no it smashed the vice took the corner of it . A piece about 5x3 inch , could not believe it . I never did finish that stick 😀

20200704_090924.jpg

Give us a bit and will try and match types to actual sticks , the thumbstick in black buffalo, had a few backs off highland horn ideal for it or carving, but nowt much else , will chase her up today , see if can scan then onto a file ....

7 hours ago, boo said:

Thumbsticks in buffalo 

20200704_114826.jpg

20200704_115107.jpg

20200704_114941.jpg

20200704_115302.jpg

Havnt tried a trout yet , you can relate designs to sticks , I'm by no means an expert , probably 3rd year at it now , so still in the novice class...

20200704_115426.jpg

20200704_115522.jpg

That's hardly novice class Boo. They all look great. 

May I ask how you get the shine on the buffalo horn and what do you use ?

Many thanks

OB

Nowt wrong with them john Philip! Old boggy use a Stanley blade to scrape, start at 120 grit , 240 , 400, 600 & 1200 wet & dry, put it on the mop, bit of polish , will show up any Mark's, keep going with the wet & dry / scraper till happy , buff , I use auto glym car polish to shine up , no  varnish or lacquer! Fixed laptop so hopefully upload them pics onto file then.....cheers

10 hours ago, boo said:

Nowt wrong with them john Philip! Old boggy use a Stanley blade to scrape, start at 120 grit , 240 , 400, 600 & 1200 wet & dry, put it on the mop, bit of polish , will show up any Mark's, keep going with the wet & dry / scraper till happy , buff , I use auto glym car polish to shine up , no  varnish or lacquer! Fixed laptop so hopefully upload them pics onto file then.....cheers

Thanks for that Boo. When you start to polish, it certainly shows up the file marks so then to start again. I will take your advice with the various grits and wet & dry. Car polish seems a good idea.

Thanks again.

OB

Cheers john Philip, something to do whilst banned from the shed ! Reckon be another month , then I'm investing in a proper air fed face mask to keep the dust out ! Hopefully gets a few people making & creating ....