The new Defender.... I quite like it

Mightymariner

I know this debate has been had many times but I was unsure about the new Defender from the photos I have seen.

Anyway yesterday a pal had one on loan at his garage so I went for a look.....and, I quite like it.

It was a 110 version and up close looked extremely robust, and would probably take some hammer in the field.

Inside it was as luxurious as you would expect with all the gadgets to make your life easier.

Only issue for me was the size of the rear load area, which was quite small I thought.

The one I looked at was around £63K as it had some extras on it.

I've posted a pix and one of my Tdci. I won't be changing any time soon, but it was interesting to see it up close and it does look better than in the pix.Inkedthumbnail_IMG_1192_LI.jpg.d5554739eb674f85864aff3eb3ea9b55.jpgIMG_1193.jpg.30dc3930b25644fa2b177dacb2bbdcba.jpgInkedthumbnail_IMG_1169_LI.jpg.00c7dda0344bfe08f55223d19b276ce9.jpg

I can remember the disco 3 coming out and hating it because it didn't have the spare wheel on the back, stupid I know but bit it just didn't look right. 

I had a couple off road experiences in them and was throughly impressed though, the other vehicle going round was a SWB defender and that got stuck, the disco plugged straight past it.

I just can't see this defender ever growing on me, especially at £63k. 

40 minutes ago, Mightymariner said:

I know this debate has been had many times but I was unsure about the new Defender from the photos I have seen.

Anyway yesterday a pal had one on loan at his garage so I went for a look.....and, I quite like it.

It was a 110 version and up close looked extremely robust, and would probably take some hammer in the field.

Inside it was as luxurious as you would expect with all the gadgets to make your life easier.

Only issue for me was the size of the rear load area, which was quite small I thought.

The one I looked at was around £63K as it had some extras on it.

I've posted a pix and one of my Tdci. I won't be changing any time soon, but it was interesting to see it up close and it does look better than in the pix.

How many of these are ever going to see a field though?

I'd take the Ineos Grenadier over that any day of the week. But then we have to wait until 2022 for that and prices will start at about £50k. It does have a spare wheel on the back though!

image.png.42f5951cee43d8749c45ca3ff830e500.pngimage.png.276939256dc256f8366437ba1515c34a.pngimage.png.cdc73e69af96faced526b323cb46c21b.png

30 minutes ago, figgy said:

Can't see many farmers chucking bales or sheep.in the back of a new defender.

The grenadier if they bring out a farmer poverty spec one could do very well.

just seen your separate thread. It really does look the part and could be perfect for response teams like MRT - were it not for the price. I can't see this new defender going down well with them, especially if what Mightymariner says about rear load space is true for all their models...

Edited by chrisjpainter

The new defender is a monococ body the same as the rest of the land rover line up.

The Grenadier is sticking with seperate ladder frame, much more rugged.

The defender is nothing more than another lifestyle vehicle in there line up.

Most makers now have far too many models.

63K???  I'd be scared park it at the supermarket much less go off road. Their range of premium SUVs is so complicated, un- coordinated and overlapping that I'm surprised anyone can work out what to buy from their range. At least with the Defender you knew what you were getting and why it existed which is more than you can say for the rest of the range.

On 04/07/2020 at 12:10, figgy said:

The new defender is a monococ body the same as the rest of the land rover line up.

The Grenadier is sticking with seperate ladder frame, much more rugged.

The defender is nothing more than another lifestyle vehicle in there line up.

Most makers now have far too many models.

100% correct.   No longer a Land Rover in essence.  The alternative unfortunately is far too expensive.  I will continue with my 1989 Defender model which does the job I need in Spades!!  Plus in the forseeable future I can change and replace all items on it from overnight suppliers.

Edited by Walker570

The problem with these new vehicles coming out is they are not really made for the people/use that they are advertised for.   They are for the city folk in London who like or want the dream lifestyle of a country estate or to work the land.  The people who actually do that can not afford 50k plus on a car that will be abused during it daily activities.   My daughters godfather is a farmer and he drives  a 54 reg suzuki vitara some of the other lads on the shoot all have pickups because they are cheap and are made for chucking stuff in the back.    Its a shame because they would sell so many more if they made them at a decent price

I'm not even sure about the city folk. Look around the car park at a clay shoot where typically over half the vehicles are some variant of SUV/4x4 and all on road tyres. About the closest most of them get to anything off road is a mown grass field or a gravel car park. Last winter I had a sort of Mexican stand off in a narrow lane with a lady who expected me to drive my car onto the soaking wet muddy verge so she wouldn't get her precious Range Rover dirty.

2 hours ago, mattyg1086 said:

The problem with these new vehicles coming out is they are not really made for the people/use that they are advertised for.   They are for the city folk in London who like or want the dream lifestyle of a country estate or to work the land

Rather like the 1920s Jordan car, in production for only a few years and remembered mainly for the style of advertising used.   One model was the delightfully named Jordan Playboy.   Adverts revealed hardly any information about the vehicle, and just tried to conjure up an image of the target customer:

"Somewhere west of Laramie there's a bronco-busting, steer roping girl who knows what I’m talking about.   She can tell what a sassy pony, that’s a cross between greased lighting and the place where it hits, can do with eleven hundred pounds of steel and action when he's going high, wide and handsome.   The truth is - the Playboy was built for her.   Built for the lass whose face is brown with the sun when the day is done of revel and romp and race.   She loves the cross of the wild and the tame.   There's a savor of links about that car - of laughter and lilt and light - a hint of old loves - and saddle and quirt. It’s a brawny thing - yet a graceful thing for the sweep o' the Avenue.   Step into the Playboy when the hour grows dull with things gone dead and stale.   Then start for the land of real living with the spirit of the lass who rides, lean and rangy, into the red horizon of a Wyoming twilight."

1903003282_Jordancaradvert.jpg.a80be72f49a497a1740839b469184a76.jpg

Living close to JLR's HQ in the Midlands we have got used to seeing them on the roads and I have to say it has gown on me from a styling point of view - the look large on the road, properly big.

Having had one JLR product that spent many months sat in the dealership because it had escaped R&D before it was finished whilst I ran around in a brand new RR Sport which wasn't without it's own issues I'd be wary about stumping up £60k+ .   I did get to be on 1st name terms with the dealer's service department and even went shooting with the service manager - lovely chap, shame about the product.

Like so many manufacturers JLR seem to be stuck on diesel power even though oil burner sales are in steep decline with petrol/hybrid/EVs in the ascendancy  - well was before the current global calamity. 

I can't make my mind up, reading a revue which compared a new defender against a Diso 4. The defender faile to accommodate a Euro pallet in the rear laid space!!!! The electric gizmo's worry me on an off road vehicle  but saying that some months ago my imobaliser stopped me starting my Disco 2 and we had some rain and the field was sticky my lad brought me the spare key, I met him at the gate and he was in a Disco 5 he selected off road mode and with road tyres crossed the field with ease. I tried to leave the field later with mud terrain and struggled. The Disco 5 gizmos and lighter weight was an advantage.

For 68K I can buy a lot of Disco 2 vehicles??????

On 05/07/2020 at 17:01, Westward said:

I'm not even sure about the city folk. Look around the car park at a clay shoot where typically over half the vehicles are some variant of SUV/4x4 and all on road tyres. About the closest most of them get to anything off road is a mown grass field or a gravel car park. Last winter I had a sort of Mexican stand off in a narrow lane with a lady who expected me to drive my car onto the soaking wet muddy verge so she wouldn't get her precious Range Rover dirty.

Yes, amazing the looks you get from them when a very war worn Landy sporting and array of spotlights and monster tyres approaches them.  I try to be helpful and polite but some of them just drive down the middle of the lane straight at you and very few know the actual width of their vehicle. You can tell when they drop their heads back and start to look down their noses and you can see the gleaming white of their knuckles on the stearing wheel.

Back to subject.  We do need a suitable 4x4 commercial truck with non of this antsy fancy additives that you can chuck a roller bale of straw on the back of.  The new Grenadier is not it unfortunately because I do applaud the efforts of those involved.  Something like a UTV but half as big again if not more would be great.

• 1 month later...

Friend of mine was in a LR dealer the other day - and they had one in the showroom.  He said it looked very nice - then he saw the price - almost £60K on the road!  It was apparently fitted with shed loads of extras - but that is a LOT of money.

Is it me - or are LR simply setting up their own models in competition with each other?

at these prices I would be frightened to take it pigeon shooting I might scratch it, everybody  has there own style , but really do you need all these gizmo's when you think of all the 4x4s that that have never been in a field , Chelsea tractors maybe, they don't turn me on , well that's my little moan out of the way.