ditchman

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Coming along smashing that. 

Was the antler off a red Ditchy?

can only use Red ..........its the thickness of the outer bone that you are looking for and the hardness.........

the best bit of antler i had was very very unusal it had a very uniform spiral to it      and it was to be my knife.............yup.....i cut it too short ....god knows what i was up to........i was bloody furious.....then took it to the bandsaw and chopped it up into small bits and threw it away.............i will proberly never come across a piece of antler like that ever again.......

this knife is for someone else....but i will prepare it differently to the other ones i have made

10 minutes ago, ditchman said:

can only use Red ..........its the thickness of the outer bone that you are looking for and the hardness.........

the best bit of antler i had was very very unusal it had a very uniform spiral to it      and it was to be my knife.............yup.....i cut it too short ....god knows what i was up to........i was bloody furious.....then took it to the bandsaw and chopped it up into small bits and threw it away.............i will proberly never come across a piece of antler like that ever again.......

this knife is for someone else....but i will prepare it differently to the other ones i have made

That was a real shame!

Looking forward to the finished product. 

14 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

Another  lucky recipient of your lovely work, I used mine yesterday to sharpen some canes for decoys still as sharp as the day I received it.

blimey ..........it still is holding its edge then.........i must say ive always been impressed with the steel.........hard enough to hold an edge and easy enough to put an edge on it.............a while ago the quality control failed and they turned out several knives that were too finely ground at the tip.....(it was too damn thin)....so i had to cut them back by 3mm and reform the tip ...

im also a big fan of a full scandi cut...

got the most difficult bit done..........we are on the home straight........if the cut to hold the blade is not central then the handle is a dog chew....the cut has to be done by eye and "sleight" of hand...so everything lines up........the drilling is next so i can dry fit the blade so i can mark the blade slot...for me to cut out bit by bit.......

this is a nice shape of antler and sits in the hand soooo sweet.....its still a bit long...but i will leave that until the blade slot is done ....then cut the excess off.........

difficult bit 001tn_.JPG

difficult bit 002tn_.JPG

difficult bit 003tn_.JPG

difficult bit 004tn_.JPG

difficult bit 005tn_.JPG

difficult bit 006tn_.JPG

difficult bit 007tn_.JPG

difficult bit 008tn_.JPG

difficult bit 009tn_.JPG

difficult bit 010tn_.JPG

difficult bit 011tn_.JPG

difficult bit 012tn_.JPG

difficult bit 013tn_.JPG

Coming along very nicely that Ditchy. I do like the length of the handles, less ability for slipping of the grip I would think.

Does the ferrule take the force of the blade and how strong is the antler spiggot?

When you say it needs to be cut "by eye and "sleight of hand" I have neither.

I Doff my cap to you sir!

24 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Coming along very nicely that Ditchy. I do like the length of the handles, less ability for slipping of the grip I would think.

Does the ferrule take the force of the blade and how strong is the antler spiggot?

When you say it needs to be cut "by eye and "sleight of hand" I have neither.

I Doff my cap to you sir!

the antler is much harder and stronger than any wood................thats why they used them for digging out flints in grimes graves

couldnt get much done today ....getting the car MOT'd ...need new rubber gator and 2 new rear tyres (advisory)..plenty of tread on them but have started to crack and perish...get them dome 2moz

cut the blade slot and the excess off the antler ...flattened it on the linisher and cut the brass pommel and flattened so there is a perfect join....will drill and silver solder the pins in and epoxy to the but tomorrow............

brass end 001tn_.JPG

brass end 002tn_.JPG

brass end 003tn_.JPG

brass end 004tn_.JPG

brass end 005tn_.JPG

brass end 006tn_.JPG

brass end 007tn_.JPG

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Might spoil your "whole evening"

i dont think he would notice.it might do him some good.............it would help aliviate him of one of his symptoms............"full of ****".........

(Blossem Hill £5.99/bot)