The Windy Wolds

JTaylor91

Yesterday afternoon I found myself trundling over to the Lincolnshire Wolds after a very generous invitation from JDog.

The original plan was to set up in the middle of standing rape however with the wind blowing it wouldn’t be possible. 

The next best option the pigeon whisperer suggested was we set up a couple of hides in a hedgerow and put out a rotary each in bare patches of rape.

For the first hour or so the birds were coming in fast and frequent some impressive shooting by JDog as usual. We opted to move one rotary out so that any birds coming from behind the hedgerow might put the brakes on and turn in which seemed to work on a few. 

Eventually a couple of showers passed through and the birds slowed down a bit. We packed up, had a couple of pork pies and then stood behind another hedgerow where we had seen a flight line passing over in the far corner of the field.

The birds weren’t playing ball, every time one of us moved to where they were going over they passed over where we had been instead.

Another good afternoon, testing birds, total 25.

Edited by JTaylor91

That wind would have made it nigh on impossible to set up out in the field, which is a shame as I understand there were a good number using it. From where we were shooting we could see big rain showers travelling across then Wolds. Good to see you managed some sport.

it's always a suck it and see situation sometimes , you always try to cut them off at the pass , thinking this should do it , only to find they have been watching every move you make . it's like a pigeon type chessboard, still you made the effort , and got a result , well done.

Yes I told JT91 that we would only get the scraps and so it proved. 

As with Jacko (who by the way is now banned from the forum) JT91 now shoots better than I do so neither will be asked out with me again.

Just to add I have never shot pigeons on winter rape in July when they were feeding on the green leaves of a backwards crop.

Edited by JDog

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Yes I told JT91 that we would only get the scraps and so it proved. 

As with Jacko (who by the way is now banned from the forum) JT91 now shoots better than I do so neither will be asked out with me again.

Would bribery in the form of more pork pies change your mind?

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, dodgy dave said:

what rule did he break ?

Well he was very ugly and he spoke with such a thick Wath on Dearne accent that I needed a translator to help me out. As far as the forum is concerned I believe his crime was to try and evade the swear filter.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Well he was very ugly and he spoke with such a thick Wath on Dearne accent that I needed a translator to help me out. As far as the forum is concerned I believe his crime was to try and evade the swear filter.

:lol:

Hope he is back soon as I really enjoyed his shotcam footage.

4 hours ago, JDog said:

is he banned forever...........or just tempory

23 hours ago, JDog said:

Get him out with you and Warrick, he'd have some fine elocution lessons from the pair of you...I fondly see you as Waldorf and Statler  and always get a good laugh....Good report, good to see you're as ever taking out novices and educating us still JDog......When you coming to our Wolds next?!?

On 26/07/2020 at 10:16, JDog said:

very funny.... I’m back

On 26/07/2020 at 15:15, ditchman said:

is he banned forever...........or just tempory

had a reprieve ... cheers mods for letting me back

On 26/07/2020 at 08:36, BenBhoy said:

What happened there?? I really liked some of his reports & his very honest shotKam footage.

On 26/07/2020 at 11:22, 7daysinaweek said:

Hope he is back soon as I really enjoyed his shotcam footage.

thanks guy I will post some soon ... glad to be back