Better Than Buckshot?

Back in the late 80s I had a hunting client out in Texas who had one of those little arrows stuck in his hat band.  I enquired and he told me he was part of the small team who came up with the idea and they where originally designed to be packed into personel mines.  A thousand or so in an array....nasty!!

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I’m not really sure what purpose they would serve that any other hard hitting buckshot couldn’t also serve, other than to administer horrific untreatable wounds.🤷‍♂️

They slice straight through “bullet proof” vests. 

15 minutes ago, Scully said:

Yeah, I saw that; two of them.

That’s what they use them for, (soft) armoured targets ... buckshot won’t go through a vest rated for pistols etc. Those things will slice right through. Terrifying to come face to face with one of those. 

Who is 'they',  the military? I'm not aware of their being used in a civil capacity, and as far as I know any military body armour designed to protect the vitals is steel based, but I could be wrong.  

Personally I'd rather use buckshot; the entire point of a shotgun charge is to pepper the target....face, eyes, neck, head, groin, legs. Whilst I can see either would be devastating in a claymore type device, I genuinely can't see any advantage over buckshot. 

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Back in the late 80s I had a hunting client out in Texas who had one of those little arrows stuck in his hat band.  I enquired and he told me he was part of the small team who came up with the idea and they where originally designed to be packed into personel mines.  A thousand or so in an array....nasty!!

The one I'm on about somewhere was from Iraq and it was designed to be a (bear with me I have no technical terms) a bomb/missile that exploded at a set height and thousands of these were packed in it to take out crouds. I don't believe it was aimed at him but happened to come upon it on patrol. Might even of been American 

7 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

The one I'm on about somewhere was from Iraq and it was designed to be a (bear with me I have no technical terms) a bomb/missile that exploded at a set height and thousands of these were packed in it to take out crouds. I don't believe it was aimed at him but happened to come upon it on patrol. Might even of been American 

I think there was an anti personnel mine designed to ‘spring’ into the air on tripping, and detonate at waist height, but I can’t recall which campaign it was. Vietnam? Bosnia? 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Who is 'they',  the military? I'm not aware of their being used in a civil capacity, and as far as I know any military body armour designed to protect the vitals is steel based, but I could be wrong.  

Some are steel or titanium. A lot now are ceramic or even plastic - Multi-layered sheets/plates of ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) can provide an added ballistic enhancement equal to or even greater than metal plates with less weight. UHMWPE plates are often referred to as being ten times stronger than steel

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

I think there was an anti personnel mine designed to ‘spring’ into the air on tripping, and detonate at waist height, but I can’t recall which campaign it was. Vietnam? Bosnia? 

Bouncing Betty. Vietnam iirc.

10 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

Some are steel or titanium. A lot now are ceramic or even plastic - Multi-layered sheets/plates of ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) can provide an added ballistic enhancement equal to or even greater than metal plates with less weight. UHMWPE plates are often referred to as being ten times stronger than steel

Bouncing Betty. Vietnam iirc.

Thanks for that. 👍