Douglas Fir

decroyffe

3.6m in length, 13.5" square. American Red Wood, believed to be Douglas Fir. 

This is part of one of four main stansion that formed part the main structure holding up railway bridge 166 on the up and down barnsley main line between Wombwell Station and Barnsley Station which stood for over 100 years

Its a substantial piece and would look great planked or plained and used as is. Due to the size and weight suitable transport will be required, and ideally a winch. Failing that its going to be a six man struggle

No idea regarding price, so ill start high and discuss offers via pm, £499 collected from Barnsley South Yorkshire 

20200704_073948.jpg

Edited by decroyffe

38 minutes ago, decroyffe said:

This is part of one of four main stansion that formed part the main structure holding up railway bridge 166 on the up and down barnsley main line between Wombwell Station and Barnsley Station which stood for over 100 years

Its a substantial piece and would look great planked or plained and used as is. Due to the size and weight suitable transport will be required, and ideally a winch. Failing that its going to be a six man struggle

No idea regarding price, so ill start high and discuss offers via pm, £499 collected from Barnsley South Yorkshire 

20200704_073948.jpg

Is it full of nails and screw etc .and creosoted ?

Er . £20 

39 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Is it full of nails and screw etc .and creosoted ?

Er . £20 

Er, £20 for the nails and screws maybe.

You won't come across pieces of timber that size too often, you certainly won't come across them for your measly estimate.

The issue with old timber is .

If it goes through any machine and the cutting blades hit nails etc then it can cost more than £500 repairing the machine  -   resharpening /replacing the blades resetting the beds  plus down time in a work shop .

Its not a risk worth taking for most work shops.even if you paid them to take the wood  .sorry but thats the reality .

Unless you find a buyer who wants it whole and looking like it is its almost worthless .

11 hours ago, decroyffe said:

20200704_073948.jpg

How did you manage to require that ? Is it from a reclamation yard ? 

13 hours ago, SF Pro said:

Er, £20 for the nails and screws maybe.

You won't come across pieces of timber that size too often, you certainly won't come across them for your measly estimate.

12 hours ago, team tractor said:

I think your closer . In oak it’s max £200 new. Sorry but no one will plank it. 

A local timber yard have already offered to buy it with the intentions of planking it, hence where the idea cane from..!!

6 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

The issue with old timber is .

If it goes through any machine and the cutting blades hit nails etc then it can cost more than £500 repairing the machine  -   resharpening /replacing the blades resetting the beds  plus down time in a work shop .

Its not a risk worth taking for most work shops.even if you paid them to take the wood  .sorry but thats the reality .

Unless you find a buyer who wants it whole and looking like it is its almost worthless .

Clearly you know nothing. Absolutely every word you've said on this post as already be discredited by the fact I've had offers for everything you said isn't worthy, by professionals in the field of lumber, please stick to pigeon shooting topics 😁

3 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

If they offered you the price you are asking on here bite their hand off. 

The offer was nowhere near the price, hence it being here. It is however a fall back option. He obviously has the machinery to deal with it and being in the trade will want a profit himself

3 minutes ago, decroyffe said:

A local timber yard have already offered to buy it with the intentions of planking it, hence where the idea cane from..!!

Isn't it odd how people comment with negative replies on sales pitches with absolutely no intention of buying the item 🤔

I'd understand if you had asked for a value, but you didn't actually do that.

It's a lovely 'bit' of timber which will have a definite use for someone,,,, very good luck with the sale 🤞👍

9 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

The last time I bought Doug fir it was £14 a cubic metre. 

That's a big lump but it isn't from. big tree. Looks like heatwood in the middle there and sapwood on the outside from the 

this is just a off cut, these beams were over 80 foot, I wouldn't want to fall from a tree that high, im not sure what you'd call a big tree lol

5 minutes ago, JKD said:

Isn't it odd how people comment with negative replies on sales pitches with absolutely no intention of buying the item 🤔

I'd understand if you had asked for a value, but you didn't actually do that.

It's a lovely 'bit' of timber which will have a definite use for someone,,,, very good luck with the sale 🤞👍

I'm more than happy to entertain those who clearly don't have the ability to occupie their own minds long enough to feel the need to comment, it saves some other poor sod falling victim to their nonsense, probably give their wives a rest from it all too 😂

Just now, decroyffe said:

this is just a off cut, these beams were over 80 foot, I wouldn't want to fall from a tree that high, im not sure what you'd call a big tree lol

Well. if the centre of that to the sap is 13.5 inches that gives me a diameter of 27 inches. Not a big tree at all. Especially for doug fir. 

Looks to me like you have 10 to 11 inches of useable wood if you do mill it. 

Maximum useable timber @ £14/ft3 = 14.9×14 = £208.60

A sawmill won't necessarily pay you that as it includes the sap. 

80ft= 24 metres. 

I have climbed much much bigger trees than that to survey raptors and had plenty of tree above me. 

2 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

Well. if the centre of that to the sap is 13.5 inches that gives me a diameter of 27 inches. Not a big tree at all. Especially for doug fir. 

Looks to me like you have 10 to 11 inches of useable wood if you do mill it. 

Maximum useable timber @ £14/ft3 = 14.9×14 = £208.60

A sawmill won't necessarily pay you that as it includes the sap. 

80ft= 24 metres. 

I have climbed much much bigger trees than that to survey raptors and had plenty of tree above me. 

well at least that's some useful information, still wouldn't want to fall out of the tree though lol

The timber yard offered me £150, so maybe taking into account they can lift and transport it, that don't sound too bad after all

I didn't want to fall out of them I will admit. That's why I was all roped in nice and tight!! 

As you say it's a fall back depends on how long you want it sitting in your driveway.  

Try advertising it on the UK workshop forum or similar. You might find a better audience. 

14 minutes ago, decroyffe said:

I'm more than happy to entertain those who clearly don't have the ability to occupie their own minds long enough to feel the need to comment, it saves some other poor sod falling victim to their nonsense, probably give their wives a rest from it all too 😂

That made me titter 🤭 As you say,,,, stick to what you [think] you know 🤭🤣

6 minutes ago, decroyffe said:

The timber yard offered me £150, so maybe taking into account they can lift and transport it, that don't sound too bad after all

That offer doesn't sound too bad, bearing in mind the amount of work to do to section it up. As you probably know, if it was in 8 pieces of the same volume it would probably be worth more, and easier to sell.

I once sold a lorry load of old timber joists from a 250 year old building [75% de-nailed 😣] to a famous London antique/upcycle company. Got £150, which at the time, 20 years ago, wasn't very much,,,, but it cost me nothing so thank you very much 🤲😊