Just my luck

sam triple

A mate and I repaired and cut new paths into his bosses pheasant pen yesterday morning ,so he said “have a go on the pigeons wheats turning milky and they are on it “ great I thought ,arrived at the first field and I told my mate I wanted to set up under a big oak tree with a bald patch in the wheat not far off , no said. my mate I’ve seen  them on the adjacent field , so off we go and sure enough there was 50 plus birds in the wheat and hovering over the top “ This is were you want to be “ he said ,so I set as quickly as possible, decoys , magnet ,hide in hedge ,sat and waited and waited and nothing , eventually after about an hour shot one pigeon, gave it another couple of hours still nothing ,so I called it a day , packed car up with my gear and drove back to where I said I wanted to be originally and bingo the air was blue with pigeons and my language.  Will try again Tuesday where I wanted to be 

This time of the year you have got a fair bit of time to weigh up the situation , I looked at two wheat fields during the week that were attracting a few pigeons , the first one was quite close to a holding wood and I had a feeling that the only pigeons going on the wheat were coming from the wood , this turned out correct , I walked down the tram lines and put up what were on the wheat and sitting on the telegraph wires , these went straight back to the wood , so I then walked to the wood and a 100+ got out , my next move was sitting in the motor to see what if anything came back , after sitting there for a good half an hour I saw nothing , so for me it would have been a waste of time setting up .

Moving on to the next field I watched the pigeons coming from a good way to get to the far end , this field looked a lot better , a lot of movement going in and out and the sound of shot wouldn't have disturbed the woods from where they were coming from , so the next time you go just spend a little time weighing up what's what and hopefully it will be time well spent     GOOD LUCK

42 minutes ago, marsh man said:

This time of the year you have got a fair bit of time to weigh up the situation , I looked at two wheat fields during the week that were attracting a few pigeons , the first one was quite close to a holding wood and I had a feeling that the only pigeons going on the wheat were coming from the wood , this turned out correct , I walked down the tram lines and put up what were on the wheat and sitting on the telegraph wires , these went straight back to the wood , so I then walked to the wood and a 100+ got out , my next move was sitting in the motor to see what if anything came back , after sitting there for a good half an hour I saw nothing , so for me it would have been a waste of time setting up .

Moving on to the next field I watched the pigeons coming from a good way to get to the far end , this field looked a lot better , a lot of movement going in and out and the sound of shot wouldn't have disturbed the woods from where they were coming from , so the next time you go just spend a little time weighing up what's what and hopefully it will be time well spent     GOOD LUCK

Cheers , I had looked at the field I was on yesterday a few days earlier whilst out trying to nail some squirrels , at around the same time I set up yesterday, don’t know if having set up earlier may had paid off ,( feeding times and patterns ) 

We shot a field on Friday that I had watched on numerous occasions over past few weeks. On each occasion the line in was obvious and always in the same place. Come Friday afternoon it has moved. My head was telling me that I should set up in the place where the “known” flight line was but I just had a gut feeling that it had moved, this proved to be correct and we managed some sport. I might add that I have often done this and got it completely wrong. Part and parcel of pigeon shooting. 

Best of luck for next time.

Had a look the other day, little happening as far as I could see and farmer reports not a great deal about at present. That said I cannot get up to my permissions on a very frequent basis so can be hit and miss for me.

Barley still very stunted and last 2 weeks we have had predominately rain.

Keep at it Sam.

22 hours ago, marsh man said:

It's the wires that are my nightmare. Pigeons sitting on them, before dropping down to feed, can be seen by any pigeon for miles around and will attract them better than anything. So, you see laden wires and set up. Of course, the pigeons leave and you have lost the advantage. IF birds return at all and you shoot one, you are back to square 1 again. As happened to Sam, the will go to another place, if no shooting results, they will build up there and you look like a fool.

When I win the Euro millions and buy a shooting farm, false wires will go up, with a system of pulleys to move lofted decoys along the wires......... Watch this space!!

Putting in your own lengths of cables along posts similar to most fields what you’re explaining just for the purpose to shoot pigeons and corvids in my eyes shouldn’t be aloud . I get like tiny old style pullys for decs I mean I use a rotary that’s not that different either way abit over the top

4 hours ago, 243deer said:

If moving decoys on wires is not legal I think we might have heard of this, just saying.

Decoys on wires - in the USA they have very long telescopic poles with screw in branches,in effect artificial trees,on which they mount decoy crows:coupled with electronic callers these are deadly.Just keep away from powerlines.