Pubs now open

B725

I've just been looking at the news updates on my phone showing last night's drinking in the pubs. Some places were packed solid so much for the virus. All this will do is cause another spike and further lockdown. Some folk are just plain stupid.

The taverns are full of gadabouts making merry this eve , and though I may press my face against the window like an urchin at a confectioners , I am tempted not by the sweetmeats within .

A dram in exchange for the pox is an ill bargain indeed.

Diary of Samuel pepys. 

Great plague of 1665 .

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

The taverns are full of gadabouts making merry this eve , and though I may press my face against the window like an urchin at a confectioners , I am tempted not by the sweetmeats within .

Diary of Samuel pepys. 

Great plague of 1665 .

That is a bit intellectual for this forum but spot on😂

Local pub did ok regarding food orders; it’s got to be worth their while opening or theres no point. 
About ten tourers turned up but not sure how many returned to their statics. 
Some took advantage of the warm weather and drank outside, and speaking to another local this morning all went as well as could be expected.
Early days but we’ve got to get back to normal at some point. 

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

That is a bit intellectual for this forum but spot on😂

Don't put these lads from the Black Country down.

Apparently it was total mayhem in Tamworth and Nuneaton last night but to be expected, it goes with the territory.  The old saying..."You reap what you sow"..... might just happen in those towns and I bet elsewhere as well. 

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Apparently it was total mayhem in Tamworth and Nuneaton last night but to be expected, it goes with the territory.  The old saying..."You reap what you sow"..... might just happen in those towns and I bet elsewhere as well. 

I was including myself in that comment 😂

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Some took advantage of the warm weather and drank outside, and speaking to another local this morning all went as well as could be expected.
Early days but we’ve got to get back to normal at some point.

Entirely agree - however the scenes shown in the media will risk getting back to tighter restrictions rather than 'normal'.  If everyone had behaved sensibly, enjoyed a drink or two and maybe a meal whilst following the 2 metre (or 1 metre plus where that isn't possible) - then in all probability things will work their way back to normal.

However if it descends into packed crowds, fighting, drunkenness and high risk behaviour - then there is a real risk of further infections and Leicester style lockdowns - which will just hurt everyone.  I hear that locally, some landlords have not opened yet because they don't think they can properly operate within the rules, and would rather wait a bit more than risk being 'back to square one'.

I think landlords have a responsibility here (and I'm sure most do) to try and ensure that those obviously too far gone are not served - but its hard enough to do normally, let alone when people are outside.  If individual establishments are obvious and regular trouble hotspots - maybe their license needs suspending until such time as they can operate responsibly?

I am still working in a Covid clinical assessment pod.

The service has seen a steady increase of referrals in the last week or so, some suspected covid, some patients confirmed Covid though overall very few. Many present with a differential covid diagnosis resulting in a non covid diagnosis at the point of my assessment which is encouraging.

Plenty of pubs open last night.

It will be interesting to see how the next few weeks develop.

24 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Nah!  Some smart cookies north of the border as well..  Have you started to build Mrs Crankies new wall yet?

Got to say wee Krankie has made a better job of the current situation ,less waffle,just factual briefings !

Don`t like her or what she stands for but credit where due.

4 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Diary of Samuel pepys. 

Great plague of 1665 .

Love it. The more so because it still rings true today in 2020.

Edited by enfieldspares

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Fights at the three tuns and dolphin too

13 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Diary of Samuel pepys. 

Great plague of 1665 .

Very apt.

14 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Diary of Samuel pepys. 

Great plague of 1665 .

Nice quote. Very apt. :good:

9 hours ago, Mr_Nobody said:

Nice quote. Very apt. :good:

It’s not actually from Samuel Pepys apparently someone made this quote a couple of years ago. Anyway from what I have seen this weekend it’s sentiments are very close to the mark. The local work dodgers have nicely congregated and rioted in a couple of the ‘ up market’ pubs in the town centre