Pubs now open

B725

My wife, I and the dog popped into our village pub after watching the F1 practice on TV on Saturday evening. It wasn't as busy as I had expected it to be as they've quite a large garden, tables in it and in the bar had been socially distanced apart.

There were a couple of regulars who were a bit the worse for wear but in general everybody was behaving.

The manager said he was closing at 10pm after discussion with the police and called last orders at 9.15 as he wanted everyone out and the pub shut at 10 so it could be cleaned etc.

The manager said it'd been busy as expected at the lunchtime opening but there hadn't been any issues with excess drinking. He was very relieved to be open and get through the day without too many problems. 

Edit: Also had to sign in and leave phone number.  Bought drinks at the bar, only one person being served at a time, floor marked out at 2 metre intervals for anyone waiting.  Didn't see any table service but there really weren't enough people in the pub or garden to warrant it. Payment by contactless credit card.

Edited by PhilR
As shown above.

I think that PhilR and the Heron's experiences seem to be typical of what I have heard round here.  Not been out myself, but I understand the vast majority of places have operated smoothly and with sensible distancing. 

In my view there is a (not easy) duty on landlords to ensure it does run smoothly and safely - and that any who won't respect that are not served (and if necessary removed).  I know that is hard to do, but it is in the whole 'trade's' interests that this lockdown easing is a success.  It may be much easier in a rural location such as around me where miost pubs etc have large gardens than in urban sites.

Where either landlords cannot, (or will not) cooperate with that - then I think there is a case for license being suspended.

58 minutes ago, The Heron said:

Went out Saturday for a pre-booked family meal shown where to sit ordered drinks which came to the table straight away all the staff had ppe on meals were also brought to the table quickly all in all I could get used to this. 

Similar experience in a country pub in the slightly less posh end of the Cotswolds.  Everyone well behaved sat in the garden in 'pods' - basically a table made out of decking planks with a roof made out of 15mm plumbing tube and fabric stretched over the top.  Tempted to make one myself for the not so sunny end of the garden.

Brought the 6mth old pup, he behaved really well, which was a relief. 

I do wonder what the local Whetherspoons was like, but I think i'll give it a wide berth for now!!

Well one of the lads in work said you had to sign in on the wi fi at the pub, this way if someone gets covid, you can be tracked.

So lots will have been out, mingled,  had a drink and enjoyed themselves fair enough. 

Others will have gone out, got hammered and had no idea who they met.

Then they go back to work or home possibly taking the virus with them , wonderful. 

So is everything normal again?

On the news last night they were talking about the thousands of cases every day in America,  then Brazil,  South Africa,  Russia and India,  it's not over, but it seems no one really cares.

The country is kind of open while sort of closed????????????????

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Similar experience in a country pub in the slightly less posh end of the Cotswolds.  Everyone well behaved sat in the garden in 'pods' - basically a table made out of decking planks with a roof made out of 15mm plumbing tube and fabric stretched over the top.  Tempted to make one myself for the not so sunny end of the garden.

Brought the 6mth old pup, he behaved really well, which was a relief. 

I do wonder what the local Whetherspoons was like, but I think i'll give it a wide berth for now!!

My local whetherspoons was so filthy before lockdown that you wiped your feet on the way out so as not to make a mess on the pavement. 

1 minute ago, 243deer said:

aint that the truth

Oh I forgot to mention the entertainment in the beer garden was watching the rats running around looking for food.

1 minute ago, 243deer said:

aint that the truth

Oh I forgot to mention the entertainment in the beer garden was watching the rats running around looking for food.

1 minute ago, The Heron said:

We have a maccie D car park like that just up the road next to a petrol station, they have bait boxes out but I reckon I could do more good for them in an afternoon with an air rifle and a couple of old big macs, sadly that is never going to be in this day and age

7 hours ago, yates said:

It’s not actually from Samuel Pepys apparently someone made this quote a couple of years ago. Anyway from what I have seen this weekend it’s sentiments are very close to the mark. The local work dodgers have nicely congregated and rioted in a couple of the ‘ up market’ pubs in the town centre

Excuse me sir , but I think you'll find that my five years at university,  studying jacobean history, make me extremely well qualified to confirm the origins of the quote . It was a wattsapp message from my mate jocka 😅😅😅 .