US Bayonet US M8A1 M4 made by Camillus

Lucky Shot 1958

This is interesting as I have a similar knife that I plan to sell at some point. 

To add to your information,  the M8A1 is actually the scabbard. Check the knife closely,  I suspect it is a M5 bayonet. 

There might also be marks to show which factory it comes from. I forget exactly where on one of those but its worth looking at the blade as well as the rifle mount/bolster. 

Good luck with the sale.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2020 at 10:24, John_R said:

This is interesting as I have a similar knife that I plan to sell at some point. 

To add to your information,  the M8A1 is actually the scabbard. Check the knife closely,  I suspect it is a M5 bayonet. 

There might also be marks to show which factory it comes from. I forget exactly where on one of those but its worth looking at the blade as well as the rifle mount/bolster. 

Good luck with the sale.

M5 ?? Totally different design of handle - made for the M1 Garand from the early 50's to replace the earlier models that were more inspired by WW1 designs

On 05/07/2020 at 10:30, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well I think it is an M7 Bayonet and an M8 Scabbard.

M7 ?? designed for the M16 series. Common knife type blade and used plastic handle scales as did most post-war US bayonets.
M8 scabbard. MUCH earlier, only really seen in WW2 as it was quickly binned in favour of the M8A1 - the latter had a longer canvas body plus an M1910 equipment hanger (wire gizmo that let you attach things into the metal eyelets on US belts & also fitted on the sides of packs, etc.) - the clue is in the photo which shows the lettering M8A1. The A1 design also had a strengthened tip near the lace-hole, as the early plastic resins were prone to breaking.

A nice design the M4 - brought about as the limited issue M3 Fighting Knife proved to be a very popular design esp. when compared to the alternatives & the styles previously issued. As the M3 knife was also commonly used by some units who were issued the M1 Carbine it made sense to modify the M3 knife into a more lightweight bayonet...which also then doubled as a fighting knife.

Edited by saddler