Side by side top lever

I was out yesterday and it seemed fine. It was a wet old day. But today when I close the gun the top lever did not spring back to lock the gun and i had to do it manually. It goes a little bit but not umph there.
Only really started using the gun recently. After ejecting I do notice there is a quite a bit if resistance to close the gun. No idea if that is normal or not.
Is it gunsmith time 😞  Shooting really well with it as well

Winchester  pigeon  grade 

yesterday but prior to that is has been a few months. It goes back and forward fine if I manually use the lever. Got wet yesterday but I wiped it all down when i got home 

Also is i safe to use like that. I do notice it won't fire unless I have closed it right up

Edited by captainhastings

5 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

ah the little block with a screw in one side is the top lever locking plate 

I think your right there is a short bit of screw sticking out the block.

Balls thats me out. Gun smith it is then 

Hello, the top lever spring system takes a lot of use over many years and can get metal fatigue, a gunsmith should have a new screw stud, maybe think of a service if you going to keep your Winchester as the smith can do both and should last many more years

6 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, the top lever spring system takes a lot of use over many years and can get metal fatigue, a gunsmith should have a new screw stud, maybe think of a service if you going to keep your Winchester as the smith can do both and should last many more years

I will do thank you. When you say a service. What exactly does that involve. Is it just cleaning? I really enjoy the gun and hit far more with it than my hatsan semi.

17 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

I will do thank you. When you say a service. What exactly does that involve. Is it just cleaning? I really enjoy the gun and hit far more with it than my hatsan semi.

Hello, there's a lot more work in a service than just a general clean, with that broken screw stud I would consider a service as there maybe other parts needed, gunman on here could advise better

5 hours ago, captainhastings said:

Ok I bit the bullet and took the stock off

3 bits fell out a pointed pin. Fire pin I take it. Little block with a dimple in it. A spring 

I can see the top lever moving but no sign of a broken spring, 

Also how to get it back together :)

111CDE07-3669-4B60-8C33-1EC0BDE20F93.jpeg.36b054f3235b694baa06c3301932b9ad.jpeg

Shame its turned out to be broken parts, but hopefully not a huge bill for repairs. I suggested it could have been gummed up as my friend inherited his grandfather's BSA single trigger side by side that I used to use when I was out at their farm and after his grandfather passed away he took it it for old time sake and it wouldn't shoot the 2nd barrel and the top lever was being a bit funny. He left it in to get fixed and turned out the inside was absolutely minging and it pretty much seized up.

From a glance I can see your winchester is very well looked after and a credit to you sir! 

6 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Shame its turned out to be broken parts, but hopefully not a huge bill for repairs. I suggested it could have been gummed up as my friend inherited his grandfather's BSA single trigger side by side that I used to use when I was out at their farm and after his grandfather passed away he took it it for old time sake and it wouldn't shoot the 2nd barrel and the top lever was being a bit funny. He left it in to get fixed and turned out the inside was absolutely minging and it pretty much seized up.

From a glance I can see your winchester is very well looked after and a credit to you sir! 

Thanks Rob. All I do is dry it and wipe down really with smear of oil

6 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

3523_1594_725-beretta-safety-roll-pin.jp

Thank you for that I was quite interested how its was seated. Think I see now