Driving to Italy - tolls and passes

Mungler

A lot depends on if you are towing, or driving a Motorhome.

I think Switzerland require a "Vignette" pass for Motorhomes and possibly caravans, costs about 35 Euros..?

As far as I know, there isn't a Europe wide toll system, each Country has its own setup, some in Italy are now like the Dartcharge, i.e. pay online within a set time period.

Ignore them at your peril, as they will come after you when back in the UK.

Use your credit card at the Toll booths, quicker and easier, you'll avoid the long queues on the French Autoroutes of Brits wanting to pay by cash.

Cat.

We use the Sanef Telepeage in France. Much, much quicker than stopping at the tollbooths and operates on all the French motorways. You can buy it online, it sticks to the inside of your screen, you pay a small standing charge for the month of use, plus, obviously, the toll charge. It really is so much more convenient and avoids your waking up your passenger at each toll.

In Switzerland you have to buy a vignette at the border which is stuck to your windscreen, works on all the Swiss motorways and operates for the calendar year.

In Italy we use our Euro debit card

Edited by amateur

7 minutes ago, amateur said:

We use the Sanef Telepeage in France. Much, much quicker than stopping at the tollbooths and operates on all the French motorways. You can buy it online, it sticks to the inside of your screen, you pay a small standing charge for the month of use, plus, obviously, the toll charge. It really is so much more convenient and avoids your waking your passenger up at each toll.

In Switzerland you have to buy a vignette at the border which is stuck to your windscreen, works on all the Swiss motorways and operates for the calender year.

In Italy we use our Euro debit card

As above

I drove to lake Garda a couple of years ago for a wedding and avoided all the toll roads, took the scenic route and enjoyed every second of it, the highlight being the winding mountainside pass used in the original “Italian job” film, According to the wife we didn’t pay any tolls on the route we took.

Edited by Spr1985
Correction

1 hour ago, Spr1985 said:

I drove to lake Garda a couple of years ago for a wedding and avoided all the toll roads, took the scenic route and enjoyed every second of it, the highlight being the winding mountainside pass used in the original “Italian job” film, According to the wife we didn’t pay any tolls on the route we took.

Yeah, done that too, but, as it takes much longer to get to where you are going, what you gain on the tolls you lose on the overnight hotel bills.

It is more relaxing though, apart from all the alpine hairpins