Out Again

100-3479.jpgFollowing my post of the first six months of 2020 I had a call from my local PW member, Bunny_Basher. Did I fancy an afternoon out pigeon shooting. You can imagine the answer, yes , so we arranged a meeting point and I followed him to the location. Now BB has been having some very good bags over the passed months due to his dogged determination to keep looking for birds during the week for the weekend. On this location last week he shot and picked 102 and the following day he let his partner shoot and she had her first solo hundred plus day with 106 picked.

BB put me in the sweet spot which is a two trees on top of the hill with standing wheat all round. I set up with the brolly as the wind was fierce also the mizzle was very wetting with the strong wind.  The wheat was still standing in , the area in front of the hide was intermittant drilled which gave you a chance to drop birds and retreive, so I set up a magnet and a remote flapper above the wheat with two flyers with seven real birds on high cradles just level with the heads of the wheat. 

The first birds came straight in but it was difficult to leave them so you could drop them in the required area as they tended to be on the end of your barrel and you winced when pulling the trigger. After two hours I had eleven birds retrieved. BB gave me a call and told me to join him as it was going mad. It took me a time to pack up and place a rope banger in my location and when I joined BB he had two hundred on the clicker. He rearranged the hide to accomodate me with social distancing and we continued to shoot. BB had placed the hide under a large Oak tree to protect him from the rain with the strong wind. It would appear that when it was my shot the birds all followed the line of the branches !!!!

We had some great banter and packed up at 18.30 I think but it took ages the walk the drill line to pick up with legs soaking wet.I agree to process the birds for BB as a way of thanking him for the invite and had my tea at 22.00.

Saturday was our turn to repay a days shooting we had had on the preceeding Monday on some Topgunners land which we had 154 birds.

We decided to shoot some fodder turnips which we had seen birds on last week so Myself, DB and Alan  set up on the edge of the field with our back to the wind . We put out two magnets with real birds and eight real birds on cradles above the turnips. We were all set up for 13.00 and took it in turns to shoot from our partitioned hide. You can imagine the comment, " Don't Miss this one",  " Oven Ready" etc.  The shooting was steady but when the heavy drizzle came with the wind the birds stopped. I suspended a extra large Carp Sack between the hide pole in my section and clicked the birds in, when I got to one hundred I started another sack on the hedge outside the hide as this allows the birds to be exposed to the cooling wind without the flies. We had counted 180 plus in the sacks and the feeding spell just increased so we did not pick up as we were having many doubles and DB had numerous tripples with his auto. We packed up at 18.30 and collected in. We were  loading our our double strapped kit bags with eighty pigeon so after the third bag we knew it was a good day with the total collected being two hundred and ninetytwo. Which I laid out for processing in my garage and took a picture. So six hundred and two pigeons in two days, with the freezers  going mad the smart metre was in overload. While I'm typing this I had a call from BB the farmer we shot on on Friday has asked him to shoot again this afternoon and BB explained that we shot 310 on Friday but has gone out again and will deliver the birds later on plus the 135  he shot yesterday.

100-3478.jpg

310 Pigeons
https://i.ibb.co/y6sD5rP/100-3479.jpg[/img

292 Pigeons

100_3479.JPG

Edited by pigeon controller