Project for next week.

la bala

My grandson has been cutting and balling his hay, he now wants a bale spike with quick hitch making for his big bales. I have started sorting out some fixings, that 16mm plate takes some cutting without gas. I have managed to get some marked out and ready for water jet cutting tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow my 80x80x5mm box for the main frame should be ready for collection.Pic 4 is only a jack but its a great adjustable workbench.

Capture spike.PNG

Capture spike1.PNG

Capture spike2.PNG

Capture spike3.PNG

Edited by la bala

2 hours ago, la bala said:

My grandson has been cutting and balling his hay, he now wants a bale spike with quick hitch making for his big bales. I have started sorting out some fixings, that 16mm plate takes some cutting without gas. I have managed to get some marked out and ready for water jet cutting tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow my 80x80x5mm box for the main frame should be ready for collection.Pic 4 is only a jack but its a great adjustable workbench.

Capture spike.PNG

Capture spike1.PNG

Capture spike2.PNG

Capture spike3.PNG

Hope you're welding that with a stick welder... can't be making farm equipment with a nice tidy mig. Has to be stick with spatter all over it! Just kidding, cutting hefty plate without oxy fuel or a plasma cutter is tiring stuff. I topped my railway track anvil with a hardox 500 plate and only had a 4 1/2" grinder and slitting disc to cut it with.

You are right Rob about stick welding, but my little oil cooled Cytrogen is in the corner with about 25 years of dust on it, and the furred up rods long gone.  That must have been quite a chore cutting hardox with a 4 1/2 grinder. I did ask my relation how long it would take him to cut the plates and 80mm holes on the water cutter, he replied oh about 10 minutes I dont normally cut anything thinner than 30mm :lol:

Not a very productive day, didnt get the box until 4pm and my fixings didnt get cut with the water cutter. I managed to get the main frame tacked. Drove the five miles to the teleporter, it wouldnt start so couldnt take the forks off the quick hitch. Thats the problem making something for a machine down the road, if you havnt a set of drawings you have to do a bit then go check it out, or you could complete it and then find it dont fit.:lol:.

Capture frame.PNG

I do love me some heavy metalwork. Used to go help my cousin at the weekends doing gates and railings as well as digger bucket mods and repairs, some contractors would save themselves so much money if they just looked after their kit a bit more! My home sets are a 140amp mig and a lovely 160amp parweld stick/lift tig machine, but going to my cousins and getting to have fun with a 500amp mig with a water cooled torch was really something else!

15 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

I do love me some heavy metalwork. Used to go help my cousin at the weekends doing gates and railings as well as digger bucket mods and repairs, some contractors would save themselves so much money if they just looked after their kit a bit more! My home sets are a 140amp mig and a lovely 160amp parweld stick/lift tig machine, but going to my cousins and getting to have fun with a 500amp mig with a water cooled torch was really something else!

500 amp, thats a serious piece of kit Rob, what wire does it run. Makes my 250 Migatronic look like a toy.:lol:

58 minutes ago, la bala said:

500 amp, thats a serious piece of kit Rob, what wire does it run. Makes my 250 Migatronic look like a toy.:lol:

Thinking it used 1.2mm wire or something mad like that. Could weld on a 400 hardox bucket blade in 1 pass. That welder belonged to his boss but he bought his own 300amp machine, lovely piece of kit for about 800quid I think. Only thing is it runs on inverter technology. If I was buying a big amp mig machine for production welding at that money I would buy one of the Oxford range. Still hand built in the UK. But for what I get involved in my parweld stick/tig inverter does anything heavy, can burn cellulose rods and standard rods right up to 5/32 thickness. Then for the light stuff my wee sealey mig isn't too bad.

Well i eventually got my 20mm plate cut on the water cutter and got the fixings tacked on. Took the frame to the teleporter and it fits ok, small adjustment needed as the grandson decided  he doesnt want the frame as deep, i will now have to cut the bottom box and raise it,  not a problem as i was going to remove the bottom box anyway, as i need to cut 2 51mm holes in it for the spike bushes. The bales spikes arrived today so tomorrow I should get some welding started.

Capture spike5.PNG

Capture spike6.PNG

Capture spike 10.PNG

6 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

How strange that seems to happen a lot here too.

Everything comes back eventually, mainly undamaged! Now THAT does annoy me 😡 

on the plus side I have got 3 months work wiring Data, comms, lights, power, alarm, conveyor belts etc in his new warehouse AND he is buying me a scissor lift to make life easier 👍👍👍

First job today remove bottom box section and cut holes for tine bushes. I am pleased the grandson asked for the reduction in frame height, it looks better. Its starting to look like a bale spike now.  I think tomorrow should see it finished, well thats the plan, he wants it for Saturday.

Capture spike 12.PNG

Capture spike 13.PNG

Capture spike 14.PNG

Capture spike 15.PNG

8 minutes ago, la bala said:

First job today remove bottom box section and cut holes for tine bushes. I am pleased the grandson asked for the reduction in frame height, it looks better. Its starting to look like a bale spike now.  I think tomorrow should see it finished, well thats the plan, he wants it for Saturday.

Capture spike 12.PNG

Capture spike 13.PNG

Capture spike 14.PNG

Capture spike 15.PNG

Wow that is looking great .