Harvest

ditchman

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

just been up to the shop.........my mate has just done the first two rounds of the barley............another year starts to turn..

Funny enough I was going to put the same thread on here tonight , yesterday I saw the combine working when I was on the way home and today I went and had a look and it was Winter barley , this must be the earliest I have known them to make a start on barley , ours will be at the weekend or early next week , they used to say that when the harvest start the best part of the Sumer is over , not so sure about that as we are only in the first week of July .

It  cannot be long before the viners are starting on the peas, I had to stop shooting over them 2 weeks ago, since then I have had some limited success on the wheat which is still very green but the pigeons are loving it, we have lots of spring barley but as yet I have not found any winter barley with birds on, must get out this week and do some reconnaisance , wont be long till the rape is cut as well, it looks well on but you cant be everywhere at once, that reminds me I must buy some more cartridges, another £220+ (dont tell the wife )😁

Hi all. 
our wheat is still green in mid Warwickshire, barley is changing from green to yellow in patches. Pigeon are on the wheat where it’s a bit thin. 
No sign of combines here for a while I think. 

Edited by flycoy
Typo

I shot on a Winter barley stubble on 12th July last year. It was the first stubble I had available. I reckon some might be cut this week on some of my farms if the weather is right. The first rape fields might be a week away. Looking forward to it!

One of the reasons it is difficult to make a decent bag of pigeons around our way , our Peas are cut and forgot about even though there are still pigeons and Crows feeding off the stubble , the Winter barley have got to the cutting stage without a stem been flattened by wind and rain , Pigeons are now feeding on the ripe rape ,and the Wheat is now getting the most attention from Pigeons and Corvids  , today I found a field of Wheat that had only grown about a foot high in a lot of places so the Pigeons have only got to stretch there necks to eat the ripening corn , this will be my next port of call but I dare say after a bit of shooting they will move a few fields over to find another free meal . still it keep you on your toes trying to outsmart our feathered friends . All the best for the coming harvest MM

the way the weather is going at the moment there are going to be some big sugar beet tonnages this year.....last year they were like bloody parsnips

good weather on the weekend so should dry the corn up for cutting

We still have peas not yet cut, some barley looks ready but no sign of the combines so I am still picking small groups out of the wheat , some gaps in the crop are very busy with birds moving in and out all day, rape also looks near ready but again no sign of the combines so its just a waiting game, but I'm sure it will all kick off very soon.

Most of the land I shoot over is very close to the Norfolk coast so perhaps the cooler sea air is the reason we always seem to be a bit behind inland crops !!

I'm not sure what i'm going to to do this year.

My farm (or at least part of it) is going to form part of the new Thames Crossing and they have been taking measurements and soil samples all year, so my crop choice presently consists of onions and spuds - Not sure that's going to get the pigeons in, but hoping the ducks may take a liking to it later in the year