More Racial Profiling Accusations

Danger-Mouse

I guess the police aren't allowed to stop anyone who is black now?

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/uk-news/2020/07/05/no-misconduct-issues-in-stop-and-search-of-christie-athletes-say-met-police/

I would suggest to those involved that when the police want you to pull over you do so, do not drive away from them at speed. Be polite, comply with their requests and you will soon be on your way.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem being, that with the heavily blacked out windows that some find preferable, it is often impossible to determine who or what is driving the vehicle until it is stopped. I was working during the 1990's, so I  have seen and heard it all before. There is an element of the community who just want to be left alone to run their drug business' and prostitution unhindered, perhaps it is time we just left them to it  ?

9 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Well I used to know an American girl/woman who was black and she got continually brassed off being pulled over by the Metropolitan Police in the late 1990s driving her BMW Z3i. So yes it does happen and if you don't think it does then you are mistaken. 

I'm not for one minute saying it doesn't happen. Then again a disproportionate number of black youths are involved in crime. Look what happened when Sadiq banned the police from doing stop and search. Knife crime rocketed and a large number of those involved were black. Restrictions were lifted and knife crime dropped again.

If you're basing your stop and search criteria on statistics then the police are probably wasting their time stopping a 40 year old white man wearing a pinstripe suit are they not?

I know the police make assumptions when they decide to stop people. An officer once stopped me simply because the car I was driving had a dirty number plate and I and my companion were both wearing baseball caps. How do I know? Because he told me whilst I was sat in the back of his car, having stopped and obeyed his instructions. A minor irritation for sure but quickly and easily resolved.

From reports I've heard and read he was driving in a somewhat erratic manner. In a £60,000 Mercedes in a high crime area of London. He was flashed to stop and instead of doing so drove off at speed apparently on the wrong side of the road. When he did stop he was asked to vacate the vehicle and did not do as requested. He has also said that before he bought the Mercedes he drove some other kind of car, a much cheaper model and he was never stopped in that. Make of that what you will.

18 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Would be good to release the Met’s Bodycam footage as I’m sure it would show a totally different side to this story.

Yeah I would like to see that. Plus any footage from the police car.

If you are a black person and are continually pulled over by the police although you are not involved in criminal activity, at what point are you entitled to become disgruntled or uncooperative?  The third time, the fifth time or, perhaps, the eighth time?

Anyone who believes that the police do not engage in racial profiling is deluded.

Whilst you and your mate (Mr. Nobody) can avoid the attentions of the police by removing your baseball caps and keeping a clean number plate that’s not possible if what attracts their malicious attention is the fact that you are black.

11 minutes ago, oisin og said:

If you are a black person and are continually pulled over by the police although you are not involved in criminal activity, at what point are you entitled to become disgruntled or uncooperative?  The third time, the fifth time or, perhaps, the eighth time?

Anyone who believes that the police do not engage in racial profiling is deluded.

Whilst you and your mate (Mr. Nobody) can avoid the attentions of the police by removing your baseball caps and keeping a clean number plate that’s not possible if what attracts their malicious attention is the fact that you are black.

When I was young and drove my Porsche or Ferrari I was often stopped with a lame excuse. When I lived in Singapore/Malaysia and India I was often stopped when being driven as I, being white, was an easy source of ‘breakfast money’ for the cops. 

I could do nothing about any of it so  I shrugged shoulders and got on with life. I doubt if the BBC would have been interested in taking up my case. 

Sky reports that a vehicle with blacked out windows was seen on the wrong side of the road, required to stop and then made off-what more do you want for it to get stopped?

And how do you see what colour the driver is from a car with tinted windows that's driving away?

Police were duty bound to stop the car on this occasion. 

Bodycams won't released if there's an investigation on going.

f.

11 minutes ago, oisin og said:

Again I'm not disputing that it happens. However it doesn't mean that every time a black person is pulled over it is because of racial profiling. As Westley pointed out the vehicle in this case had heavily tinted windows. If you can't see who is driving how can you profile them?

Incidentally I was pulled over several times in that car simply because I worked around the country and cops were curious as to why a vehicle not registered in their county was driving around it, often late at night or very early in the morning. I never had any trouble with the police that did stop me because I stopped, was polite and didn't start shouting and screaming at the officers. 

I'm afraid if the racial group you belong to is often involved in crime then you have to expect the police to be looking more closely at you. Do you believe that in an area where our travelling friends are prevalent that the police don't view them with an increased level of suspicion? 

If you're basing your operations/decisions on statistics is that racism?

Areas with disproportionately high crime will require a more active policing strategy. So, with an increased police presence in that area it will mean that people in that area will more likely be subject to police interaction. I am sure that there are many areas which are of different ethnicity will also encounter the same sort police interaction. I know of a few around here - in fact my wife is from one of them

On my 18th birthday I got a 1 year old Ford Capri  (I was working down a coal mine on good money)

On average I got pulled once a month.

I would pass a cop car, they would do a double take then spin round and come after me.

I wasn't black (still not) but I was a young lad in a flash car. 

was that profiling.....probably. 

17 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Would be good to release the Met’s Bodycam footage as I’m sure it would show a totally different side to this story.

There is footage from Bianca's phone online, whilst the female officers seemed to behave reasonably their male colleagues were by the drivers window with a cosh and one of those emergency break glass jobs shouting at the driver. Did seem a little too animated to me, the driver was initially laughing in disbelief.

You are forming you opinions on what they want you to see (media),would you say driving on the wrong side of the road then speeding off, refusing to stop should be ignored by the police

I also would like to see the police body cam and car cam footage then make a comment of how bad our police force are and how badly these poor black people have been treated.

we are being set up again.   .     

Could they of been deliberately baiting the police, why was she filming before they were stopped?

Must admit the young copper with the baton looked a little unsure of what to-do, and as said a bit animated, but having said that, if you’re a copper policing today’s society you never know what’s the other side of that door, hence the need for what sometimes looks like an heavy handed approach in taking control of the situation.  

13 minutes ago, crosswaters said:

You are forming you opinions on what they want you to see (media),would you say driving on the wrong side of the road then speeding off, refusing to stop should be ignored by the police

I also would like to see the police body cam and car cam footage then make a comment of how bad our police force are and how badly these poor black people have been treated.

we are being set up again.   .     

The couples phone footage…

Edited by old'un

I got pulled once because I was driving a black astra, I know that was the reason cause he heard him say it down he's radio when the checked the reg.

It was about 3 in the morning and I was only a mile from home, I passed him on the main road while he was approaching a junction couple miles back and he didn't pull out straight away, I was doing 60 so he must have driven like hell to catch me.

He asked if I'd been drinking so I replied ' No, you can breathalyse me if you like' 

He paused then said, ' no that's alright' handed me my license back and let me on my way.

There was obviously some issue with a black astra in the area or was that unfair profiling? Should I have made a big fuss about it?

Edited by Farmboy91
Spelling

14 hours ago, daveboy said:

On my 18th birthday I got a 1 year old Ford Capri  (I was working down a coal mine on good money)

On average I got pulled once a month.

I would pass a cop car, they would do a double take then spin round and come after me.

I wasn't black (still not) but I was a young lad in a flash car. 

was that profiling.....probably. 

You worked down a coal mine and you weren’t black?

15 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I got pulled once because I was driving a black astra, I know that was the reason cause he heard him say it down he's radio when the checked the reg.

It was about 3 in the morning and I was only a mile from home, I passed him on the main road while he was approaching a junction couple miles back and he didn't pull out straight away, I was doing 60 so he must have driven like hell to catch me.

He asked if I'd been drinking so I replied ' No, you can breathalyse me if you like' 

He paused then said, ' no that's alright' handed me my license back and let me on my way.

There was obviously some issue with a black astra in the area or was that unfair profiling? Should I have made a big fuss about it?

I go back a long way, probably well before most of you where born and when the law abiding pub;lic appreciated our efforts to lock the criminals up  At least once a week when on nights we would coordinate a stop check in areas and on roads we believed to be used by the criminal fraternity. This would be at one oclock in the morning for about an hour and there would be five or six locations in position on the Division.   The vaste majority of people we spoke to where law abiding citizens going home but on most nights we turned up a couple of good ones.  We always had a traffic car positioned half a mile before the check to sort out any vehicle doing a U Turn.   There was never any complaint from the law abiding, in fact they thanked us for doing our job.

Tell me what has changed?