"joy of painting"

ditchman

"whispering Bob Ross".............

i watch it regular like........purely out of morbid facination...........the paintings are god awful..........he must be from a different planet       the colours are indiscriberble........verticle clouds..........he has a few clever teqniques but just goes tooo far.........i wouldnt let him paint a bloody wall.............30,000 paintings his estate has.....they dont sell them......probely keeping them incase they run out of toilet paper

i think Rolf Harris's stuff was better.........at least he gave us a song about swagmen playing with their digeree-doooes up their billabongs at the end......

anyone else watch Bob "beat the hell out it" Ross.?

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well considering those programmes were made in the 1980s, I think he is a clever, wonderful man and I like his style!

been to specsavers recently...............................................................(you were robbed)

28 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i watch it regular like........purely out of morbid facination...........the paintings are god awful..........he must be from a different planet       the colours are indiscriberble........verticle clouds..........he has a few clever teqniques but just goes tooo far.........i wouldnt let him paint a bloody wall.............30,000 paintings his estate has.....they dont sell them......probely keeping them incase they run out of toilet paper

i think Rolf Harris's stuff was better.........at least he gave us a song about swagmen playing with their digeree-doooes up their billabongs at the end......

Was sad to hear that Bob had finished his last canvas he is whispering in heaven now .

Edited by holloway
duplicate

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

Won't hear a word against Bob Ross the man was and still is a legend, he only painted about 1200 paintings, technically less because he painted three identical scenes for each episode. One as a reference one painted on the show. the third after used for training. 

The Smithsonian museum owns all of them from the TV shows but he is rumored to have painted more for charity and events, In the very rare occurrence that a bob ross original comes up for sale it can go for anything from 8-12 grand. However the last one to surface "Midnight waterfall" sold for $55.000.

His paintings are very very rare and nobody knows for sure just how many in his life he painted.

Edited by fatchap

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well considering those programmes were made in the 1980s, I think he is a clever, wonderful man and I like his style!

He made a good living from it, served his nation in its Armed Forces and AFAIK never caused harm to anyone. Now his painting style is that of today's mass produced "original art works" that is done on a production line in Chinese sweatshops, and others before him did the same stuff, but somebody must like it. Live and let live says I.

Edited by enfieldspares

Yes! No "happy trees" for those that speak not well of the much beloved man with the bouffant male perm. Mind with that hair you'd have not wanted to have been sat behind him in the cinema or at the theatre. "Madam! Please! Remove your hat!...Oh, sorry Mr Ross, I didn't know it was you."

Edited by enfieldspares

How can you say its awful. granted he is or was no Picasso but some his looked a bit shoddy, Sunflowers for instance I think my six month old pup could do better.

504766-Rizzoli-039-0.png

Up close it does look a bit rough but from a distance....just look at the bark effect on the"happy little tree" he does that with a knife. Lets be honest apart from his signature he didn't use a brush any smaller than 2" and a knife. Not bad I think. My daughter is a budding artist and she thinks his work is superb.

Because it is awful, but like I say it’s all subjective, and if your daughter thinks it’s great then that’s fine.
He worked to a formula, the same formula that the Chinese used to churn out thousands upon thousands of paintings via a production line.
Awful work. 

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

Because it is awful, but like I say it’s all subjective, and if your daughter thinks it’s great then that’s fine.
He worked to a formula, the same formula that the Chinese used to churn out thousands upon thousands of paintings via a production line.
Awful work. 

im with you scully..............i will admit the one fatchap put up is one of his better works..........i sort as view them as "fantisy" paintings,.........i have several works done by a friend of mine on little simple studies in North Norfolk....in pastels......they are all the wrong colours ......but they look so right......bobs paintings ...the colours unsettle me......

if everybody in this world liked the same stuff........it would be unliveble....so thank god everyone is different.............bob certainly has a zillion times more buisness sense than i have...so power to his elbow..:good:

I love Whisperin' Bob Ross. It's like therapy but without the cost and uncomfortable questioning, usually answered by pointing out on a doll the places you were touched.

Yes, the results are hideous, the kind of wall art you would find in a Best Western someplace near Cody. But the delivery? It's just so soothing and chilled. Simpler times.

Some of Bob Ross's paintings were very good.

Used to watch him in the 1990's on discovery channel's.  It's when a painting looks good and he says I'll just put a little tree here and a bush there, to the point it's like your looking through a bloody keyhole.

His fan brush pine trees were good and his rocky mountains with snow capped peaks were brilliant.

5 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Everyone has heard of Bob Ross.  Nobody has heard of Rolf Harris. 

you wont hear a lot from him .....he has been banged away......naughty boy....(infact very naughty boy)

25 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Everyone has heard of Bob Ross.  Nobody has heard of Rolf Harris. 

Oh no, lots of people have heard of Rolf Harris.

It's just that most people are trying to forget him now.

Well at least it's better than this load of rubbish...I mean you can't even see what the two mounds of whatever it is are actually meant to be. African Himba dwellings just before the sun rises? Mongolian yurts on a Winter day? Or what? And I told the man in charge that there and then in the Museum. Those very words. Not like bloke on Joy of Painting's stuff I said to him. Oh no! You can always see what Bob Ross's stuff is. And then they called "security" and asked me to leave. 

SNOW.png

Edited by enfieldspares