BASC - shooting us all in the foot

BASC really have lost themselves. See this opinion piece from BASC Vice President Peter Glenser QC. He argues against corvid control on a Sunday as: 

1. Corvids do not predate chicks or damage silage wraps on Sundays. Gentlemen do not shoot vermin.

2. You should not shoot on Sundays.  As Gentlemen do not work Saturdays, surely any decent chap can shoot on a Saturday instead?

3. People who shoot on Sundays often use semi-automatic shotguns. Gentlemen do not use semi automatic shotguns. 

4. People who shoot on Sunday often wing birds without killing them. Gentlemen always kill every bird, and never miss or ***** a bird. It would be very ungentlemanly to ***** a bird, a wicked beastly thing that only occurs on Sundays.

5. Shooting on a Sunday disturbs my peace and tranquillity. A gentleman does not wish to have his peace and tranquillity disturbed. 

@Conor O'Gorman @David BASC When you read that article, did shut your laptops down and sink your face into your hands? It must be awful being sent out to bat for these self righteous, disconnected fools. 

082F54D6-E53E-47CF-920C-0C431FAD0E13.jpeg

The asterisk are for pric- with the hyphen representing ‘k’. 

I tend to shoot Saturdays, but have no objection to my neighbours shooting on Sundays. Is it because I’m not a gentleman or because I’m not suffering from God-complex that I am so ridiculously reasonable about this? 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, London Best said:

Not convinced we are reading the same article. I can’t see where it says any of the things you quote. I agree it is ill thought out and should not have been published.

Apologies, I wasn’t quoting but exaggerating for effect to magnify his implication. He can’t state why shooting on a Sunday is bad, so just throws dirt at it from anecdote. No better than Packham and he is meant to not only be one of us, but on our payroll and fighting for us....🙈

24 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

The code of good shooting practice is here:
http://www.codeofgoodshootingpractice.org.uk/

Thanks for that, but what has that to do with the price of fish? 

When you next see PG, you may want to remind him that the majority of his members work for a living, generally during the 5 days of the working week and enjoy their leisure pursuits at the weekend - Namely Saturday and Sunday. I would think Mr Glenser would be better employed convincing his neighbours that lawful pest control was being undertaken and perhaps they should turn their radio up a little to avoid the disturbance.

8 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

The code of good shooting practice is here:
http://www.codeofgoodshootingpractice.org.uk/

Thank you for your response Conor but I can’t see anything about not shooting on Sundays in that, can you please point us in the right direction? Alternatively you could just admit that he got it wrong? In my profession I often have to make marginal calls, sometimes I get them wrong but I hold my hands up and accept it. Call me crazy but people seem to understand and respect it.  

This clear fear of failure and impervious attitude is the root cause of BASC’s issues. I have been an on-off member of BASC for over 20 years, I have generally supported BASC and given the benefit of the doubt, even over lead shot (although you would have to accept it was handled very badly - especially DT’s awful video), however it is becoming a pantomime of late.

I don’t shoot on Sundays generally because I only work five days a week and prefer to get out on the Saturday. Many of my friends are not that fortunate - do I judge them lesser people because they have to work on the Sabbath and enjoy their pastime on the Lord’s day? Just admit the article was pretentious twaddle based upon thin anecdote and we can be done with it.

21 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Thank you for your response Conor but I can’t see anything about not shooting on Sundays in that, can you please point us in the right direction? Alternatively you could just admit that he got it wrong? In my profession I often have to make marginal calls, sometimes I get them wrong but I hold my hands up and accept it. Call me crazy but people seem to understand and respect it.  

This clear fear of failure and impervious attitude is the root cause of BASC’s issues. I have been an on-off member of BASC for over 20 years, I have generally supported BASC and given the benefit of the doubt, even over lead shot (although you would have to accept it was handled very badly - especially DT’s awful video), however it is becoming a pantomime of late.

I don’t shoot on Sundays generally because I only work five days a week and prefer to get out on the Saturday. Many of my friends are not that fortunate - do I judge them lesser people because they have to work on the Sabbath and enjoy their pastime on the Lord’s day? Just admit the article was pretentious twaddle based upon thin anecdote and we can be done with it.

Wait! So let us get this right. You think the Aspects of shooting commented  on by Peter  Glenser promote our sport. RIGHT?

I brought this article up on the other BASC thread. The points it raises can be debated allday but the tone of it is horrendous.

How no one at BASC can see that is beyond me. It comes across as a personal issue. Why is a semi auto mentioned. Noise is noise. The idea that sundays are somehow set aside for quiet contemplation sounds incredibly middle class. Sundays are just another day to a lot of folk now.

It could be pointed out that without corvid control there'd be no bird song to listen to!

I backed BASC over the GE fiasco as they were blind sided by it. Although I think having the backing of the NFU probably saved the day in reality. Since then I've been deeply troubled by their actions. 

WR.

42 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Wait! So let us get this right. You think the Aspects of shooting commented  on by Peter  Glenser promote our sport. RIGHT?

No, I can categorically state that mudslinging at one branch of shooting does not promote our sport. Other than that I see no content in his comment at all. Unsubstantiated rumour and anecdote. 

If you refer to winged birds then it is ridiculous, you show me a shooting man who has never clipped a bird and I will show you a liar. 

If you refer to semi automatic shotguns then I fail to see any aspect which is even worth debate.

If you have refer to noise try telling me that shotguns used for corvid control are louder than those used for game. 

It is just snobbery, pure and simple. I defended BASC over GL, I listened to them over lead, I am bemused over the legal expenses handling but I cannot come in board with any positive to take from this latest own-goal. To quote Malcom Tucker, it’s an omnishambles. 

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well it just appears to enforce the perception that BASC are really only there for the privileged wealthy pheasant shooters and do not give a fig about the more numerous ordinary shooting man!

Agree! I shoot the odd big bag game day and love it but I also shoot squirrels, crows etc. We are a broad church let’s keep together. 

Edited by WalkedUp

Folk working in retail usually do 5 1/2 day weeks, those working for delivery companies and the Royal Mail the same. If you work for the NHS then who knows when you might get a day off at the moment. I am sure that there are many others who can only realistically get out on a Sunday. My local farmers do not turn their bangers off on a Sunday, nor do they stop harvest or cultivation if the weather is right. I would quite enjoy seeing Mr Glenser try and tell one or two farmers of my acquaintance that they should be quiet on a Sunday.

I turned up at a farm at 6.00am on Thursday. They had the gas gun on already. If you choose to live in the countryside get used to shooting. I have peas surrounding me. Wheat last year, I wasn’t fussed if one of the other guns shot early morning. Near my house. Just being able to hear a gunshot from 300m away is very different to noise disturbance. If our friend the QC wants to move to the city he will be complaining about revellers on Friday evenings and bin collections on Tuesday mornings. 

2 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Well, I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. I actually agree - not entirely, but certainly to a degree. If PG had put down his pen at the end of his first paragraph all woul;d have been well. After all, anyone thinking that we have no need to have consideration for our neighbours and acts accordingly does the rest of no favours at all. Neither does the inability to accept that fact. Unfortunately, he kept on and whereas he made a valid point he then destroyed any consideration that it was such as witnessed by the comments subsequently made here.

As Gentlemen do not work Saturdays, surely any decent chap can shoot on a Saturday instead?

A true gentleman in fact NEVER shoots on a Saturday either. At one time it was one of those verbal slights made against those who tried hard to be but weren't quite. "Of course, he shoots on a Saturday you know." The inference being that either he "was in trade" and in a rank in that trade so couldn't get time off in the week or that he didn't, on a Saturday, follow hounds.

Edited by enfieldspares