BASC - shooting us all in the foot

3 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Thank you for your response Conor but I can’t see anything about not shooting on Sundays in that, can you please point us in the right direction? Alternatively you could just admit that he got it wrong? In my profession I often have to make marginal calls, sometimes I get them wrong but I hold my hands up and accept it. Call me crazy but people seem to understand and respect it.  

This clear fear of failure and impervious attitude is the root cause of BASC’s issues. I have been an on-off member of BASC for over 20 years, I have generally supported BASC and given the benefit of the doubt, even over lead shot (although you would have to accept it was handled very badly - especially DT’s awful video), however it is becoming a pantomime of late.

I don’t shoot on Sundays generally because I only work five days a week and prefer to get out on the Saturday. Many of my friends are not that fortunate - do I judge them lesser people because they have to work on the Sabbath and enjoy their pastime on the Lord’s day? Just admit the article was pretentious twaddle based upon thin anecdote and we can be done with it.

👍

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see half a point in that letter.

Consideration should be taken by shooters, and any birds should be retrieved and a humane death should be achieved. By not doing so, it does put shooting in a bad light.

But claiming sundays should be reserved for tranquil afternoon tea in the garden? What gives him the right to state that? I agree that it sounds very much like snobbery, and certainly highlights a sense of self entitlement and selfishness.

If it really is an issue for him and his neighbours, surely the best course of action would be a quiet word with the land owner. Not to whinge in the BASC magazine.

25 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

A true gentleman in fact NEVER shoots on a Saturday either. At one time it was one of those verbal slights made against those who tried hard to be but weren't quite. "Of course, he shoots on a Saturday you know." The inference being that either he "was in trade" and in a rank in that trade so couldn't get time off in the week or that he didn't, on a Saturday, follow hounds.

And its this snobbery and class division that shines through in the article.

'One doesnt want to hear gunfire whilst one is retiring in ones 3 acre garden of an afternoon.
Those ruffians should KNOW their place !

If I had my way those of that lower class should not be allowed possession of firearms.
You never know what mischief they may get up to'

3 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Thank you for your response Conor but I can’t see anything about not shooting on Sundays in that, can you please point us in the right direction? Alternatively you could just admit that he got it wrong? In my profession I often have to make marginal calls, sometimes I get them wrong but I hold my hands up and accept it. Call me crazy but people seem to understand and respect it.  

This clear fear of failure and impervious attitude is the root cause of BASC’s issues. I have been an on-off member of BASC for over 20 years, I have generally supported BASC and given the benefit of the doubt, even over lead shot (although you would have to accept it was handled very badly - especially DT’s awful video), however it is becoming a pantomime of late.

I don’t shoot on Sundays generally because I only work five days a week and prefer to get out on the Saturday. Many of my friends are not that fortunate - do I judge them lesser people because they have to work on the Sabbath and enjoy their pastime on the Lord’s day? Just admit the article was pretentious twaddle based upon thin anecdote and we can be done with it.

:good::good::good:

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

And its this snobbery and class division that shines through in the article.

'One doesnt want to hear gunfire whilst one is retiring in ones 3 acre garden of an afternoon.
Those ruffians should KNOW their place !

If I had my way those of that lower class should not be allowed possession of firearms.
You never know what mischief they may get up to'

yes hes talking himself out of a job

What else do they complain of in that part of rural Norfolk on a Sunday afternoon? The village lads playing football on The Green or the Recreation Ground on a Sunday afternoon?

In my Grandmother's village in Lincolnshire after World War One they purchase land to build a village recreation ground and then, to to face it, they built their  "War Memorial Hall" with its Roll of Honour and their War Memorial.

In 1946 when World War Two was finished and done they added four more names to it including that of my mother's first husband. He had been before the headmaster in the village school.

So that for the the second time in but twenty-five years those "lads" that came back in 1945 as had their fathers in 1919 and their children, some of  whom he would have taught, could play football in full sight of the names of those who didn't.

The same was done in my village in Leicestershire. The recreation ground and its war memorial. But I guess that in rural Norfolk lads playing football "on the green" must, like pest control, be quite quite an intolerable irritation of a weekend.

Edited by enfieldspares

25 minutes ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

I can see half a point in that letter.

Consideration should be taken by shooters, and any birds should be retrieved and a humane death should be achieved. By not doing so, it does put shooting in a bad light.

But claiming sundays should be reserved for tranquil afternoon tea in the garden? What gives him the right to state that? I agree that it sounds very much like snobbery, and certainly highlights a sense of self entitlement and selfishness.

If it really is an issue for him and his neighbours, surely the best course of action would be a quiet word with the land owner. Not to whinge in the BASC magazine.

IS the RIGHT answer well done that man.:yes:.

Seeing as he made specific reference to the "English country garden" I'm guessing that those who inhabit country gardens in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are much less precious.  So all you ungentlemanly types who want to bash away with your vulgar semi-autos need to move to where us unrefined types live.

4 hours ago, grrclark said:

Seeing as he made specific reference to the "English country garden" I'm guessing that those who inhabit country gardens in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are much less precious.  So all you ungentlemanly types who want to bash away with your vulgar semi-autos need to move to where us unrefined types live.

Sorry Mate, but you are just asking too much!

I am amazed that stuff like this still surprises people. 

BASC are useless. They don't speak for the shooting community, they fail to tackle the issues that matter they consistently under deliver, they talk down to their membership I could go on... 

How they are still in existence is beyond me. 

10 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well it just appears to enforce the perception that BASC are really only there for the privileged wealthy pheasant shooters and do not give a fig about the more numerous ordinary shooting man!

I think that about sums it up and the same can be said of a lot of shooting people. Far too many look down their nose at people that do a different type of shooting to them or use a different type of firearm!

Mr. Glenser is or rather was an elected member of Council - not an employee as one or two seem to assume. He is I suppose entitled to his opinion.

However one has to question the judgement of the staff member who decided to publish this letter. whether the words are ill judged or carefully chosen is an interesting question.

Whether you are a crow shooter, a wildfowler, a rifleman with health issues, or someone who is planning to fulfil the African dream BASC does not seem to offer a lot.