BASC - shooting us all in the foot

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't do a lot at the moment, as registration for the online AGM closed at 9 am on Monday morning. If you really want to take "political" action with BASC or any other organisation it takes a bit of long term planning. If you wish to get people onto Council next year then start now to get nominations in after Christmas.

On 06/07/2020 at 21:19, WalkedUp said:

BASC really have lost themselves. See this opinion piece from BASC Vice President Peter Glenser QC. He argues against corvid control on a Sunday as: 

1. Corvids do not predate chicks or damage silage wraps on Sundays. Gentlemen do not shoot vermin.

2. You should not shoot on Sundays.  As Gentlemen do not work Saturdays, surely any decent chap can shoot on a Saturday instead?

3. People who shoot on Sundays often use semi-automatic shotguns. Gentlemen do not use semi automatic shotguns. 

4. People who shoot on Sunday often wing birds without killing them. Gentlemen always kill every bird, and never miss or ***** a bird. It would be very ungentlemanly to ***** a bird, a wicked beastly thing that only occurs on Sundays.

5. Shooting on a Sunday disturbs my peace and tranquillity. A gentleman does not wish to have his peace and tranquillity disturbed. 

@Conor O'Gorman @David BASC When you read that article, did shut your laptops down and sink your face into your hands? It must be awful being sent out to bat for these self righteous, disconnected fools. 

082F54D6-E53E-47CF-920C-0C431FAD0E13.jpeg

The asterisk are for pric- with the hyphen representing ‘k’. 

I tend to shoot Saturdays, but have no objection to my neighbours shooting on Sundays. Is it because I’m not a gentleman or because I’m not suffering from God-complex that I am so ridiculously reasonable about this? 

What I read is this

Be considerate when shooting in the vicinity of houses? As you should anyway..... 

On 07/07/2020 at 10:35, lancer425 said:

IS the RIGHT answer well done that man..

I think he point of the article is to prompt everyone to consider others when shooting.  perception is key 

The code of good shooting practice states the below 

• The frequency of shooting must not give rise to unreasonable nuisance (particularly noise) to neighbours.

It is referring to the amount of noise disturbance caused .  If you get a complaint regarding noice disturbance you can be forced to stop shooting. 

The mention of a semi automatic weapon is not against semi autos he again is reiterating that there is a succession of shots very close together followed by other shots (trying to build a picture of the levels of noise)

Birds left needing dispatch is just bad practice and can taint peoples views quickly ... 

I think he was trying to give readers some reflection time... 

1 minute ago, Terry2016 said:

I think he point of the article is to prompt everyone to consider others when shooting.  perception is key 

• The frequency of shooting must not give rise to unreasonable nuisance (particularly noise) to neighbours.

It is referring to the amount of noise disturbance caused .  If you get a complaint regarding noice disturbance you can be forced to stop shooting. 

The mention of a semi automatic weapon is not against semi autos he again is reiterating that there is a succession of shots very close together followed by other shots (trying to build a picture of the levels of noise)

Birds left needing dispatch is just bad practice and can taint peoples views quickly ... 

I think your right.  

AND. AND guess what  totally unrelated but good news. its 55 days to the wildfowl season. :lol:

6 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

I think your right.  

AND. AND guess what  totally unrelated but good news. its 55 days to the wildfowl season. :lol:

Quite ironic really; we used to do most of our duck shooting on Sundays as it was the only day we were all off. 🙂

10 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

I think your right.  

AND. AND guess what  totally unrelated but good news. its 55 days to the wildfowl season.

And i am looking forwards to it immensely 🙂

Just now, Scully said:

Quite ironic really; we used to do most of our duck shooting on Sundays as it was the only day we were all off. 🙂

Not near houses I hope 🙂

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

From my village you can hear two, sometimes three different clay shoots on some Sundays. It gets on MY wick a bit, but nobody in the village has ever mentioned it to me.

A clay shoot will most likely have a planning consent allowing shooting until a certain time. 

If they are under the 28 day rule then they run risk of complaint and being closed if someone complains.

Just now, Scully said:

We could probably be heard from both the town and a village in the other side of the river. Nobody ever complained; it’s very rural and shots can be heard most days. 

Sounds like a nice place.. 

I see the whole lot imploding fueled from the inside, even comments about local clay shoots from shooters. 

BASC mag went in the bin shortly after flicking through the pages, after the previous one all i got from that was the impression that its targeted those that drive round with private reg Bentley 4x4 or Maserati Levante, if thats their target audience then "Im out" again another 20 year plus subscriber. I've fished under the old mill next to WAGBI  HQ when it was a small concern yet seemed to be allot more switched on to what its members needed. 

They wont miss my £80 a year im sure, but im sure they will miss the hundreds of other members that feel the same way as i do. 

2 hours ago, Terry2016 said:

That is a very generous review of the passage but I cannot disagree with the common sense regarding noise disturbance and winged birds. We all know (and 99% abide by) good shooting practice, and so his argument is relatively pointless. If you honestly can’t see the snobbery in his writing then fair play. The specific reference to Sundays, semi automatic guns and then that the layman may tar driven game shooting with the same brush. Let me be clear, a line of 10 guns firing 800 shots in a single drive is an awful lot louder than a single bloke with a semi auto popping shots at the odd crow in a field. Many big shooting estates shoot 5 days a week in January. My fiend’s estate had a planning enforcement notice issued against it for noise. I don’t shoot that estate often (due to funds) but was able to pitch in with some advice and contacts with which he was able to successfully cancel the enforcement. If anything is going to cause regulation it will be from clay shoots and big game shoots. I for one would join the fight to help any clay or game shoot that was having issues with noise complaints from neighbours. I wouldn’t be writing letters to complain about it myself! 

7 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

That is a very generous review of the passage but I cannot disagree with the common sense regarding noise disturbance and winged birds. We all know (and 99% abide by) good shooting practice, and so his argument is relatively pointless. If you honestly can’t see the snobbery in his writing then fair play. The specific reference to Sundays, semi automatic guns and then that the layman may tar driven game shooting with the same brush. Let me be clear, a line of 10 guns firing 800 shots in a single drive is an awful lot louder than a single bloke with a semi auto popping shots at the odd crow in a field. Many big shooting estates shoot 5 days a week in January. My fiend’s estate had a planning enforcement notice issued against it for noise. I don’t shoot that estate often (due to funds) but was able to pitch in with some advice and contacts with which he was able to successfully cancel the enforcement. If anything is going to cause regulation it will be from clay shoots and big game shoots. I for one would join the fight to help any clay or game shoot that was having issues with noise complaints from neighbours. I wouldn’t be writing letters to complain about it myself! 

Fair points. 

On 08/07/2020 at 20:24, WalkedUp said:

The point is that noise is noise, be aware of where and when.  you are clearly picking out elements and changing them like "than a single bloke with a semi auto popping shots at the odd crow" is not what the article said it said a semi auto and the followed by further guns.. 

Some people are more "snobbery"  to use your words than others thats life, however your interpretation could not be further from the mark.. 

Reading is all about interpretation and mine is nothing like yours. you seem offended that a team of guns shooting on a Sunday could offend close by houses? baring in mind in norfolk there are rules about wild fowling on sundays, we already have rules about game on sundays the last thing we want is rules on pest control on sundays... 

I say be aware and do your best to not disturb or become a nuisance and I think thats what the article says. 👍

Can’t believe it

my keeper has to have a day to shoot the vermin and as he’s driving or loading 6 days a week for me only leaves him Sunday to do it 🙄

just don’t know what the author was thinking 

I do draw the line at Christmas Day though 😗

as for the complainers have them evicted from the vicinity  at a rapid pace 🤔

that should do it 😂

2 hours ago, Terry2016 said:

The point is that noise is noise, be aware of where and when.  you are clearly picking out elements and changing them like "than a single bloke with a semi auto popping shots at the odd crow" is not what the article said it said a semi auto and the followed by further guns.. 

Some people are more "snobbery"  to use your words than others thats life, however your interpretation could not be further from the mark.. 

Reading is all about interpretation and mine is nothing like yours. you seem offended that a team of guns shooting on a Sunday could offend close by houses? baring in mind in norfolk there are rules about wild fowling on sundays, we already have rules about game on sundays the last thing we want is rules on pest control on sundays... 

I say be aware and do your best to not disturb or become a nuisance and I think thats what the article says. 👍

We agree that all must be sensible and considerate about shooting. We seem to agree about the snobbiness of the article. I am unsure if we agree or disagree about shooting on Sundays, but regardless I think we all see it broadly the same way. 

On 08/07/2020 at 20:24, WalkedUp said:

Based purely on the description given, it's worth noting that one of the two activities highlighted is very probably - if not definitely -  illegal.

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Can’t believe it

my keeper has to have a day to shoot the vermin and as he’s driving or loading 6 days a week for me only leaves him Sunday to do it 🙄

just don’t know what the author was thinking 

I do draw the line at Christmas Day though 😗

as for the complainers have them evicted from the vicinity  at a rapid pace 🤔

that should do it 😂

🤣🤣👍

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

We agree that all must be sensible and considerate about shooting. We seem to agree about the snobbiness of the article. I am unsure if we agree or disagree about shooting on Sundays, but regardless I think we all see it broadly the same way. 

For what its worth, I think you should be able to shoot as and when you need too . after all pest control is a job (a very good one)👍

Edited by Terry2016

On 08/07/2020 at 13:48, bottletopbill said:

Should we all vote for a vote of non confidence in the committee if we can

YES.

On 08/07/2020 at 16:08, Pushandpull said:

You can't do a lot at the moment, as registration for the online AGM closed at 9 am on Monday morning. If you really want to take "political" action with BASC or any other organisation it takes a bit of long term planning. If you wish to get people onto Council next year then start now to get nominations in after Christmas.

WALK..... er, rather ...RUN ! Don't Walk.

On 08/07/2020 at 17:19, bottletopbill said:

Thank you for your advice should we all consider this before jumping ship and try and change BASC

MEMBERSHIP with A.N.OTHER. (Significant Financial Shortfalls will always focus minds and usually result in the axe being wielded).

20 hours ago, Old farrier said:

It’s a condition of the wildfowl clubs in most cases 

or a syndicate requirement 

Or the landowners Recognise the Basc membership and insurance 

And there are other providers of insurance cover....  CA, NGO, SGO, household, etc.... why ! I would even wager that if PW were to introduce a scheme there would be no shortage of applicants..?

4 minutes ago, harkom said:

YES.

WALK..... er, rather ...RUN ! Don't Walk.

MEMBERSHIP with A.N.OTHER. (Significant Financial Shortfalls will always focus minds and usually result in the axe being wielded).

And there are other providers of insurance cover....  CA, NGO, SGO, household, etc.... why ! I would even wager that if PW were to introduce a scheme there would be no shortage of applicants..?

Not to sure about the wildfowling clubs there are a few ties with Basc permi scheme and the like along with the stalking 

so I don’t think it’s practical for some to change