Denton and kennel models??

eddoakley

Picked up a gun at the weekend which was on the owner's certificate as Denton and kennel.

It's a dt, boxlock ejector. 26" barrels (have to check that bit)

On the rib it says Bristol de luxe. No makers mark on the action. 

Haven't had chance to check proof marks etc but I don't recall ever seeing a Denton and kennel which doesn't have the name on it and I've never seen one marked on the rib like this one- not that I've had a great deal if experience with that maker.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether it's just listed incorrectly or of it is what it is supposed to be?

Edd

1 minute ago, London Best said:

I would expect to find Spanish proof marks.

Not had chance to check yet but will try to find time tomorrow.

My thoughts are that it's a generic type Spanish gun. I'm sure I've seen "Bristol de luxe" on something before and I've had a couple of D&K and this one just doesn't seem to fit.

Edd

Have a quick google- mostly a bit better than "cheaper Spanish stuff".

Sideplates and sidelocks generally pretty good and having a higher value. Boxlocks as with any make not so valued but still more so than the cheap generic Spanish stuff. 

As I mentioned I've had a few over the years, a sidelock many years ago which was about £1000 at the time springs to mind.

This one just looks and feels a little cheaper.

Edd

Denton & Kennel used several Spanish makers to supply a range of s/s guns from fairly basic boxlocks to fairly 'fancy' sidelocks.  All tended to be very keenly priced, and what you got reflected that.  From recollection, they were always cheaper than equivalent AyA models, but didn't meet AyA's levels of quality either.  At the time (1980s), the importers advertised them very widely.

9 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Also Somerton Guns of which the sidelocks were mostly Arietta. Some say that D & K stuff looks good but that the metal isn't finished, or as hard wearing and durable, as contemporaneous other British "named as" but actually "best Spanish" made.

Hello, more to do with the quality of the steel being used in the gunmakers trade in foreign manufactures,made to a price rather than made to last or better finished, 

They were made to meet a price point and while they looked like good quality guns the reality was often something different. There were some horror stories circulating at the time about poor quality steel and actions made from meccano.

18 hours ago, Wylye said:

They were made to meet a price point and while they looked like good quality guns the reality was often something different. There were some horror stories circulating at the time about poor quality steel and actions made from meccano.

Never had one, but the chappie at the gun shop I frequented at the time told me pretty much this.