A Question Re. FAC Airguns

Danger-Mouse

I'm curious as to how the law stands for shooting these on a firing range? In particular the big bore variants.

Obviously a big bore air gun can kick out some serious power but they don't have anywhere near the range of a gunpowder using rifle of similar calibre.  I've just seen a video featuring this one   0air-rifle-big-bore.png

They rate it as being about as powerful as a .45 long Colt but it's effective range is under 1,000 yards meaning that even the humble .22 round would travel much further.

So if you wanted to shoot one at a range, what would the range have to be rated for? Would the range still have to be rated to the calibre of the air rifle or would you be able to shoot one at a range with a lesser rating?

3 hours ago, Mr_Nobody said:

I'm curious as to how the law stands for shooting these on a firing range? In particular the big bore variants.

Obviously a big bore air gun can kick out some serious power but they don't have anywhere near the range of a gunpowder using rifle of similar calibre.  I've just seen a video featuring this one   0air-rifle-big-bore.png

They rate it as being about as powerful as a .45 long Colt but it's effective range is under 1,000 yards meaning that even the humble .22 round would travel much further.

So if you wanted to shoot one at a range, what would the range have to be rated for? Would the range still have to be rated to the calibre of the air rifle or would you be able to shoot one at a range with a lesser rating?

I know at Bisley (Surrey) it is muzzle energy that is the deciding factor, of course you have to hit the target as well or feel the wrath of the RCO.

• 2 weeks later...