Hows the market for guns at present

Hows the market for guns at present?

Am contemplating selling/part exchanging a coupe for a new game gun to be used for everything. 

Have looked on a number of dealers websites but there are no large discounts or price reductions being shown any where.

Would have though there would have been some good buys at present?

It depends what you are selling. From personal experience there is a market for top name English guns despite the scaremongers but not necessarily at the prices some are looking to achieve. I was talking to my gunsmith today who had a deal for me on a Purdey hammergun I have with him and less than I would have liked but it’s sold so thats that. Similarly I sold a Holland and Holland Royal nine months ago for the price I paid fifteen years or so ago. Add to that it looked like Holts had a decent sale last time out unless I misread everything.

I don’t see much if any discounting of new guns as you have found.

I would imagine that if you found a dealer or any seller desperate for cash you will do a deal. Like property, which is my business, there is a lot of talk of price crashes but precious little evidence at present. All you can do is market what you have and see what offers you get. Those are the only real evidence of true value at any point in time. You can then go in as a cash buyer and see how the seller reacts.

Good luck

If there are any bargains to be had then they are more likely to come from private sales rather than shops. They obviously have bills to pay - wages/rent/rates and they are not really in a position to discount heavily, especially on new guns. 

Nobody will be discounting new guns as the margins are pretty poor to begin with.

If any shops were quiet you may get lucky if they are looking to liquidate assets but if you are looking to trade in your guns then they won't be offering strong money for them against discounted guns.

Edd

15 hours ago, grahamch said:

Am trying to off load a 725 20 and a maxus. Won't be bothering with guntrader, gunwatch etc. Too many time wasters and numpties out there. Was offered 1200 ox for the 725 which cust ovèr 2k less than a year  ago

Bet if you tried to px a car costing the same a year ago you would get £1200 or less.

Edited by rbrowning2

I think it's far too early to see any change. However in 6 months time when the economic reality starts to bite I would expect to see change. I think the first change will be in new guns. I think the sales of those will start to fall. Manufactures will be the first to come under pressure and I would expect to see deals out there in attempts to keep sales figures up.

On 07/07/2020 at 21:25, button said:

What you looking at buying?

Not sure but a double to use for game and on  the shore

On 08/07/2020 at 08:49, eddoakley said:

As a rough rule of thumb many shops will value used guns at:

(Cost-vat) ÷ 2

Therefore if your gun was £2000 I'd expect offers of around £800 so £1200 to part ex seems pretty good.

Edd

Seems a real rip off to me!

7 minutes ago, grahamch said:

Not sure but a double to use for game and on  the shore

Seems a real rip off to me!

It's not set in stone and everything is judged on the day according to what stock we have or what sells well for us.

But if you take vat out of the equation it doesn't work out as a great profit.

If a new gun is £2000 Inc vat that's about 1600. Then consider that used things sell for around 2/3 of new then that £2000 Gun would sell for around maybe 1200.

So paying you 800 and selling for 1200 means I'd make 400 out of which I pay vat of about £70 (only on the profit) and tax on what's left leaving me about £270 for which I have to make the initial investment , (800) provide a warranty, do 2 sets of paperwork and keep the gun on the shelf until it's sold all the while paying rent, rates, gas, electric, insurance, staff......oh and there's always the fact that most people want to haggle to get a good deal on a used gun...

Still sound like a rip off?

Edd

On 08/07/2020 at 08:49, eddoakley said:

As a rough rule of thumb many shops will value used guns at:

(Cost-vat) ÷ 2

Therefore if your gun was £2000 I'd expect offers of around £800 so £1200 to part ex seems pretty good.

Edd

I understand the logic, but isn't there a little more to it than simple figures? Such as reputation, and customer loyalty?

I recently bought a used gun for £900. The dealer told me if I ever wanted to sell it or trade up, he would give me £900 for it, providing it is in decent condition of course.

I was recommended to buy from this shop from a friend who owns several guns - mostly bought from the same RFD on a similar deal. If I want another gun, or wish to upgrade, I will be back to see this RFD before anyone else. And at the same time i will probably spend money on other stuff, such as the air rifle I bought from there as an impulse purchase.

7 hours ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

I understand the logic, but isn't there a little more to it than simple figures? Such as reputation, and customer loyalty?

I recently bought a used gun for £900. The dealer told me if I ever wanted to sell it or trade up, he would give me £900 for it, providing it is in decent condition of course.

I was recommended to buy from this shop from a friend who owns several guns - mostly bought from the same RFD on a similar deal. If I want another gun, or wish to upgrade, I will be back to see this RFD before anyone else. And at the same time i will probably spend money on other stuff, such as the air rifle I bought from there as an impulse purchase.

Yes there is definitely more to it which is why it's "a rough rule of thumb".

It's just one way that people might value a gun and it's different for everyone and every situation.

I know of one large shop who's policy is that they need to be able to sell back to the trade (me)  and make a profit, therefore 99% of the time they would offer less than me. 

But at the same time reputation and customer loyalty are pointless if you can't pay your bills. It's nice to be able to give everyone a great deal but not at the expense of going bankrupt.

If I'd sold a gun for £900 and offered to buy it back for £900 I'd have to be pretty confident that I could sell it again straight away for £1100 Just to break even. If that's the case why did it sell for £900 to start with? How much would I have to have bought it for to sell at £900? How does the seller (assuming used gun here) see me for paying him £500 for something that I then sell for £900? Is he then a loyal returning customer or does he think he's been ripped off?

It really is very complicated and difficult to keep everyone happy and still keep a viable business.

Edd

On 09/07/2020 at 18:48, Westley said:

You already have the 2 perfect game guns now. The 725  is ideal for game and the Maxus is perfect for wildfowling/pigeons. Spend the money on cartridges.

Can't get away with the 725 despite having it allegedly fitted.  No confidence in it so want rid. Auto is pain looking for empties on marsh so want 1 for everything.

14 hours ago, eddoakley said:

Yes there is definitely more to it which is why it's "a rough rule of thumb".

It's just one way that people might value a gun and it's different for everyone and every situation.

I know of one large shop who's policy is that they need to be able to sell back to the trade (me)  and make a profit, therefore 99% of the time they would offer less than me. 

But at the same time reputation and customer loyalty are pointless if you can't pay your bills. It's nice to be able to give everyone a great deal but not at the expense of going bankrupt.

If I'd sold a gun for £900 and offered to buy it back for £900 I'd have to be pretty confident that I could sell it again straight away for £1100 Just to break even. If that's the case why did it sell for £900 to start with? How much would I have to have bought it for to sell at £900? How does the seller (assuming used gun here) see me for paying him £500 for something that I then sell for £900? Is he then a loyal returning customer or does he think he's been ripped off?

It really is very complicated and difficult to keep everyone happy and still keep a viable business.

Edd

Really interesting information. 

7 minutes ago, grahamch said:

Can't get away with the 725 despite having it allegedly fitted.  No confidence in it so want rid. Auto is pain looking for empties on marsh so want 1 for everything.

You have to be happy with the gun to shoot well. Confidence is key.