Getting Height

Trenta

Hi guys, 

I am shooting over standing wheat at the moment, and I need to get shell decoys up above crop to be obvious to the birds. I have balanced them ontop of the wheat, but if there is any wind they soon fall through and I risk losing them.

Has anyone seen or used any type of ready made spike or peg to tape the spring sticks to to give them more height? 

I am using floaters, whirly and flapper duct taped to a spare hide pole but wanted to get my shell decoys up there as well. 

Cheers

Trenta

I use the 1/4 inch diameter fiberglass tent poles, they come in approx 2 ft sections and have the metal sockets already attached so you can use one or more sections as the crop grows, also they fold down easily into a carry bag, I sharpen one end and use a rubber mallet to knock them in, you can tape the decoys on if you like but I modified all my decoys with a single wire mount just under the head which simply slots down inside the hollow tubes, they also swing into wind which gives them some movement.

I tend to just cut some hazels. Fortunate I have easy access to a supply. Thin enough and they also float back and forth in the lightest of breeze as well. Have a field of wheat which is attracting attention at the moment, just waiting for a dry day.

Edited by Walker570

39 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I tend to just cut some hazels. Fortunate I have easy access to a supply. Thin enough and they also float back and forth in the lightest of breeze as well. Have a field of wheat which is attracting attention at the moment, just waiting for a dry day.

Absolutely, I had 2 sessions on the wheat last week, with just a magnet and 2 floaters to get above the crop, the birds were trying to land as near to the magnet as possible making some interesting shots trying not to shoot my magnet, there were not a huge number about as it was blowing a gale, but I managed a 17 and a 14 picked with a few lost in the crop as I dont have a dog, but well worth going out. 

I had a shooting pal who was a Police diver. He salvaged two damaged fishing umbrellas from a lake for me. I cut out the stays of both and still use them to put decoys above the crops. They are spring steel and will bob about realistically in a wind. They drop into the umbrella pocket on a rod holdall that I use for my hide poles etc. A small wood block , with a 1/8" hole drilled in it, glued into the base of the shell decoy. The rod fits into the hole in the wood block, job done.  The shorter bracing umbrella stays I use on sown or shorter crops, in the same manner.

Edited by Westley

On 7 July 2020 at 15:57, Trenta said:

Yes, I guess that will work - I was thinking something metal, as the ground is like concrete at the moment 

i advise against metal rods / poles. You may lose / forget / drop one and later on a combine goes through and picks it up. You will not be a popular bunny.......🐰🐰

• 2 weeks later...

YOU NEED ELECTRIC FENCE POSTS WITH THE METAL SPIKE AND FOOT PLATE. PREF A BRIGHT COLOUR... THE POST WILL BE HIDDEN SO BIRDS WON'T SEE IT BUT YOU'LL BE ABLE TO FIND THEM AFTER.

THE GROUND WILL BE VERY HARD IF NO RAIN AND A BAMBOO CANE WILL JUST SPLIT. 

CABLE TIE OR TAPE THE SPRING STICK TO THE FENCE POST AND AWAY YOU GO

Edited by Sprucey

As mentioned above about lifting decoys on bamboo sticks etc I've also found once we have a few birds in the bag I put them onto bird cradles you can get them in different lengths or if you need them higher you can take a telescopic hide pole apart & place the cradle in the lower tube this should give you well over 2ft - 2 1/2ft of height there really isnt anything better then real birds out as decoys & the cradles let you display the bird perfectly