Worst CGI in films.

fatchap

As we have a few movie threads running at the moment I was wondering what film you think has the most obvious and terrible CGI effects?

For me its Justice league and Henry Cavil's CGI face. Terrible bit of CGI because he was filming Witcher at the same time and his role in that he had a beard, so they used CGI to delete it out for Justice league as Superman dosn't have a beard. Look closely and you can see just how bad a job they have done on it.

13 minutes ago, Scully said:

The Irishman. 

To be fair the CGI was pretty good. What didn’t work is the fact you had young(ish) computer generated faces on old, clunky, arthritic bodies!

Avatar - A truly terrible film and awful rendering.

Edited by Munzy

31 minutes ago, Munzy said:

To be fair the CGI was pretty good. What didn’t work is the fact you had young(ish) computer generated faces on old, clunky, arthritic bodies!

The characters in The Irishman didn’t look any younger to me than they do in real life, as they are now. 
I quite liked the CGI in Avatar,  the only let down for me is that it’s just a western basically.....cowboys and injuns.  🙂

3 hours ago, fatchap said:

As we have a few movie threads running at the moment I was wondering what film you think has the most obvious and terrible CGI effects?

For me its Justice league and Henry Cavil's CGI face. Terrible bit of CGI because he was filming Witcher at the same time and his role in that he had a beard, so they used CGI to delete it out for Justice league as Superman dosn't have a beard. Look closely and you can see just how bad a job they have done on it.

I think it was Mission Impossible rather than Witcher but I wholeheartedly agree - it was like those mouth replacement talking baby adverts of a few years back

3 hours ago, Munzy said:

You must be the Mayor of Crazytown? The plot is definitely derivative - Dances with wolves in space but the CGI is absolute top class photo real, the water effects alone are still world class. The rendering is incredible, look at the sequence with the weird space jellyfish dandelion things, each one casts its own light source with corresponding shading. On top of that still the very best that 3D ever offered and probably the only reason it had a resurgence.

TLDR: plot = meh?, CGI = captain fantastic!

7 hours ago, Munzy said:

Avatar - A truly terrible film . . .

You, and the best film reviewer on YT, The Critical Drinker,  are in agreement on that.

I can't post the link because he swears like, well, a drunken Scotsman but if you want a good review and a bit of a laugh watch

Avatar - The Most Successful Failure Ever

I guess I'm one of the rare breed that hasn't seen it. (the film itself, not the review)

I always thought the bit in dambusters when the dam breaks and water spews out was very bad special effects. Not long ago I stood and watched water spewing through an earth bank and on its way to flood a village, it was in similar light and i realised the effects in the film were actually 100% spot on. 

4 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I always thought the bit in dambusters when the dam breaks and water spews out was very bad special effects. Not long ago I stood and watched water spewing through an earth bank and on its way to flood a village, it was in similar light and i realised the effects in the film were actually 100% spot on. 

You do realise that was overlayed and not CGI and that the film was made in 1955!

When that is considered I don't think they did a bad job.

I do realise that, the black and white footage and the date 1955 in the description gave it away. 

The point I was making, was that despite seeing the film hundreds of times since a child (dad loves old war films) and me thinking "they could have done better than that even in the 50's". The footage was actually very good when seeing it myself for real. 

Superman's top lip has to be in the top 10 of bad cgi. He had to keep his tache for another film so they cgi'd it. Once you've noticed you can't unsee it.